How did Brayden Point fall to the 3rd round in the 2014 draft?

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Hindsight is 20/20.

Some players can overcome their initial flaws. Others can't. The less confident a scout is that a player can overcome their flaws, the lower on their list that player gets placed.

With smaller players, doubts get magnified, if they don't fulfill their potential. At least with players with size, there's the possibility they can be molded into 3rd or 4th line grinders or bottom pairing defensmen. Obviously that's an old way of thinking, but things are changing at least a little.

Last edited:
Reactions: Critical

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
I really like what I've seen from Point, in both the regular season and these playoffs, but Barzal is really on an entirely different level, at least offensively. The rookie season Barzal just had was one of the best over the last decade, if not more. To me, Barzal must be considered one of the most offensively-gifted players in the NHL, possibly capable of winning a scoring title at some point in his career.

I don't want to take anything away from Point, whose offensive game also has a high ceiling, but I don't really think the two players are all that comparable.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
It makes sense actually. When you compare him to a guy like Connor Chatham, Chatham is bigger.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
If he were up for the draft this year, or last, he's likely a first rounder. There's been a real shift since he was drafted.

He's one of the biggest steals of the last 5 years.

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
I thought we were only comparing Centers. That's why Laine, Pastrnak, and Marner haven't been discussed earlier.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Yzerman pretty much drafted himself with that pick. Point is very similar to what Yzerman was. Great offensive player who's defensively aware as has been showed in these playoffs.

Did he also personally draft Jonathan McLeod 22 spots before Point?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Similar to how Kuch was a 2nd round pick. Some players either develop late or work their rear ends off to make it.

Then you have lottery picks like Nikita Filatov who had all the talent in the world but didn't care much.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Is Point vs Barzal a dicussion? Or is Mat Barzal superior and always will be?
I'd take Point - he has some Bergeron in him

We know he comes up big when it counts

Who knows about Barzal

He could be the forward version of Ron Hainsey if he stays where he is

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Point is so damn good.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
It's usually more to do with strength than size. They kind of go hand in hand, but when scouts dont think you'll fill out, you won't go very high in the NHL draft. That, and I assume they didnt think his skillset would translate to the NHL game.

But lets be honest here... barely anyone knew who Brayden Point was back then, so unless you're on one the few that actually watched him in Juniors... we are all just speculating anyways.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think if he was on the Portland Winterhawks, Brandon Wheat Kings or Kelowna Rockets he'd probably have been a top ten pick. Knew he was going to be a steal long before Tampa picked him.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It's usually more to do with strength than size. They kind of go hand in hand, but when scouts dont think you'll fill out, you won't go very high in the NHL draft. That, and I assume they didnt think his skillset would translate to the NHL game.

But lets be honest here... barely anyone knew who Brayden Point was back then, so unless you're on one the few that actually watched him in Juniors... we are all just speculating anyways.

I remember that draft, and a lot of TB HF posters were going nuts that we should draft Point. I had no idea who he was. Then we traded up one spot and drafted him. We have two or three regular posters who closely follow junior hockey, and they believed we'd hit a homerun with him.

I think this is a case of Yzerman being ahead of the curve, which has been the biggest reason for his success as a GM. He abandoned a lot of old ideas about smaller players, not to mention Russian players, and sometimes players who LOOKED like their stats might be inflated by linemates, and he found a lot of gems in the later rounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad