How did Brayden Point fall to the 3rd round in the 2014 draft?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
The numbers were there. He had 91 points in his WHL draft year which led the team, next highest scorers on the team were 55, 55 and 51 by a bunch of over-agers.

Of the 12 mocks/rankings listed here, only 3 had him as a top 30 pick.
2014 NHL Draft Prospect Rankings

Don't recall any serious injury or off-ice issues so what was it? Did scouts just miss with the belief that he likely couldn't translate in the NHL?

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The numbers were there. He had 91 points in his WHL draft year which led the team, next highest scorers on the team were 55, 55 and 51 by a bunch of over-agers.

Of the 12 mocks/rankings listed here, only 3 had him as a top 30 pick.
2014 NHL Draft Prospect Rankings

Don't recall any serious injury or off-ice issues so what was it? Did scouts just miss with the belief he couldn't translate to the NHL?
Probably size issue

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Size. As a Warrior fan who is at the rink every single game. We knew he was probably the best forward we've ever had. At least since Fleury. The entire fan base had no idea how he fell so low.

Another factor may be that Moose Jaw was f***ing terrible during most of his time here and in his draft year and that likely led to him being heavily underscouted.

Interesting fact is he was higher then any other forward that year in percentage of teams goals he was a part of. Played huge minutes, often double shifting and was a PP and PK staple.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Like every thread that asks the same questions about different good players... It happens. Nothing more nothing less. -_-. Scouts aren't infallible.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
I really hate the NHL's obsession with size. If a player is talented enough to make it, he WILL make it.
Thist stupid meat and potatoes bias needs to stop. It always results in some bum being picked too high and some skilled guy slipping through and falling.

I think if you were to compare the success rates of short dudes vs tall dudes you would get your answer. There isn't some conspiracy against small guys they just don't have the same chance of making it as guys that are 6'4. Doesn't mean tall guys are a lock either, but size is something that can't be taught.

Reactions: El Cohiba

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
He is listed at 5'11", and you can cast your consternations about that figure, but that's the height of Sidney Crosby.

Furthermore, shorter guys were selected earlier in that exact draft, like Kevin Fiala at 10th and Robby Fabbri at 21st. Other players who are his height were also drafted, like Tony DeAngelo, a Dman none the less, 19th. Jayce Hawryluk and Nicolas Aube Kubel in the 2nd.

I get it. The purpose of this thread is to reiterate the grand narrative. So we can reiterate the grand narrative. But there's also a small chance we could take into account the nuances of the situation, and come up with a more developed hypothesis.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
He is listed at 5'11", and you can cast your consternations about that figure, but that's the height of Sidney Crosby.

Furthermore, shorter guys were selected earlier in that exact draft, like Kevin Fiala at 10th and Robby Fabbri at 21st. Other players who are his height were also drafted, like Tony DeAngelo, a Dman none the less, 19th. Jayce Hawryluk and Nicolas Aube Kubel in the 2nd.

I get it. The purpose of this thread is to reiterate the grand narrative. So we can reiterate the grand narrative. But there's also a small chance we could take into account the nuances of the situation, and come up with a more developed hypothesis.

He's maybe 5'11" with skates on lol. The NHL website has him at 5'10" 166lbs. He's small.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

I'm 5'11 and he wasn't much shorter than me when I met him at a signing. He was listed at 5'9 his draft year which was pretty bang on IMO.

Size may or may not have played a factor but I think the biggest thing was he was just under scouted plain and simple. The Bolts and Warriors have a bit of a relationship over the last few years. With some insiders telling me that that Yzerman gives Miller advice all the time. Such as telling them to draft Oleg Sosunov at the import draft and the Warriors really peddling Brett Howden to the Bolts. There seems to be a bit of a relationship between the two GM's and I think Tampa scouting Reilly saw Point and kept tabs on him while others overlooked him.

Reactions: kabidjan18

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Size may or may not have played a factor but I think the biggest thing was he was just under scouted plain and simple. The Bolts and Warriors have a bit of a relationship over the last few years. With some insiders telling me that that Yzerman gives Miller advice all the time. Such as telling them to draft Oleg Sosunov at the import draft and the Warriors really peddling Brett Howden to the Bolts. There seems to be a bit of a relationship between the two GM's and I think Tampa scouting Reilly saw Point and kept tabs on him while others overlooked him.
All three decisions look good so far.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Alright. Let's go with that figure. The argument hardly changes.

How does it not? He's small. Small skilled players are drafted low all the time. That's slowly changing but it's a fact. Almost every thread that goes "why was so and so drafted so late?" ends up with "he was considered too small".

Point is 40 lbs lighter than Crosby.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
How does it not? He's small. Small skilled players are drafted low all the time. That's slowly changing but it's a fact.
Big players are also drafted low all the time too. Presumably, they are drafted low because they are considered to be worse than some other big player.

Small players were drafted above Point, in the first round even. Why were they drafted above Point? There's obviously significantly more to this that your grand narrative would cover. Did size play some part? I'm sure. But there's obviously significant ground that your narrative doesn't cover. So we can either just cling to your narrative and yell "the narrative! the narrative!" Or we can come up with a hypothesis that actually models why Point was drafted too low, and not just a prototypical small prospect for whom there is almost an inevitable no true scotsman fallacy lurking.

The notion that we changed his height estimate one inch and that threw my argument into a tailspin is ludicrous.

Almost every thread that goes "why was so and so drafted so late?" ends up with "he was considered too small".
Ah yes, because some grand narratives are widely accepted, that determines their truth value.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Size at the time unfortunaly... Same reason he was 14th overall in WHL draft and not a top 3 pick.. He shoulda been but wasnt due to his size... But then he terrorized WHL and will terrorize the NHL very very soon

Reactions: LiasAndersson

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
It's hard to judge whether a player has a high hockey iq when you only get to watch them a handful of times. So, when a player is missing something that can't be taught easily, or at all, -like size- a lot of teams will just assume he's a Jr. Star who's game won't translate.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Well I looked at the pre-draft thread and in a completely shocking turn of events most people were knocking him for his size and nothing else.

To quote from that thread: "To be playable at 5'10" and in the ~170 range, you need Nic Petan skill. In my opinion, Point does not have Petan's skill, but he could surprise me this year." Player prediction is not an exact science. X player might be viewed as talented enough to overcome a skating/size/whatever issue and gets drafted higher and fails maybe due to that issue or something else entirely. Y player isn't viewed as being able to overcome a perceived flaw and gets drafted lower and then excels and makes everyone look stupid for missing them.

Reactions: A91

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think if you were to compare the success rates of short dudes vs tall dudes you would get your answer. There isn't some conspiracy against small guys they just don't have the same chance of making it as guys that are 6'4. Doesn't mean tall guys are a lock either, but size is something that can't be taught.

But I think that goes back to the same question of bias. Are those guys getting the opportunities because of their size/draft position (which is also affected by size)?

I do think size can be a significant negative factor for the really small guys, and perhaps it's fair to shy away from them, but bigger guys still tend to be overvalued at the same time.

Ruok

Feeling Hyman.
Jun 21, 2011
I think a lot of people directly correlate height with being size, which makes sense because it is definitely part of the picture.

But not all 5'10" are equal. There is a big difference between someone 5 10 broad shoulder 190 lbs and someone who is 5 10 lanky 140 lbs. Point was the 2nd one which is why size was a concern.

Reactions: El Cohiba

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad