How confident are you in Kyle Turris

Dysentery

Ottawa Senators
Sep 14, 2011
New Brunswick
Taking dumb penalties and acting like a tough guy with five minutes to go in an out-of-reach game? I bet he could do that until he is 50.

Ya ok bud. So you are a Sens fan, who has probably watched 90% of his career, and you think Neil "Acts" like a tough guy??

I bet you think Karlsson would be a better forward as well??

Dysentery

Ottawa Senators
Sep 14, 2011
New Brunswick
This. He kills every play when it touches his stick.

He can't skate.

He's too slow to make big hits anymore.

He takes dumb penalties all the time.

He seems to only do his enforcing at the end of a blowout game we're losing by attacking their soft euros.

Dude Spezza's gone, you might as well become a Dallas fan. All you do now is **** on the team. It is so obvious and weird.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
seems like our fanbase is bipolar more so this year them normal

That's what standing on shaky ground can do to a person.

There's been quite a bit of upheveal on this team over the past 3 years. Losing Alfredsson right out of the blue, seeing a glimpse of pesky in the lockout year, then seeing Spezza walk, and now we have vultures from Philly circling overhead trying to steal away Ryan....not to mention wondering if karlsson will be back 100%, if our goalies can rebound next year, if the kids can take a big step forward, will (or can) this team spend money, will Murray be ok, and who will replace him in the near future, etc etc....

There has been a lot of massive ups and downs to digest. I wouldn't fault anyone for getting squirrely after all that.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
Ya ok bud. So you are a Sens fan, who has probably watched 90% of his career, and you think Neil "Acts" like a tough guy??

I bet you think Karlsson would be a better forward as well??

Don't take it personally.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Taking dumb penalties and acting like a tough guy with five minutes to go in an out-of-reach game? I bet he could do that until he is 50.

This. He kills every play when it touches his stick.

He can't skate.

He's too slow to make big hits anymore.

He takes dumb penalties all the time.

He seems to only do his enforcing at the end of a blowout game we're losing by attacking their soft euros.
Sums up Neil perfectly.

Dont forget the countless offsides and fighting teammates in practice.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Sums up Neil perfectly.

Dont forget the countless offsides and fighting teammates in practice.

Guess we've gone a little OT but...

Fighting teammates in practice is awkward. The first time it happened, you can chalk it up to "intensity" and that it's a "good thing" the boys are being competitive. But it keeps happening.

http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hockey/nhl/senators-extra/senators-update-practice-fight-macarthur-injury-and-starting-goalie vs Cowen

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/12/13/sens-get-feisty-at-practice-as-chris-neil-punches-cory-conacher vs Conacher

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=294295 vs Spezza

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/story.html?id=81b35f73-d177-4b97-9679-b33bb0712bf8 vs Emery

http://www.njdevs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3642 vs Arvedson

"Getting the intensity level up is good," said Neil. "We need our battle level higher and it starts in practice.

Neil is a workhorse and a heart and soul guy. But I lose my mind a little more with every offside. As much as I don't like to admit it, because I like the guy, a regular position for Neil on this team is slowly fading.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Wonder how many in-practice fights the Kings and 'Hawks and Bruins and Penguins had in recent years, or if their enforcers thing it's their job to tell players with actual hockey skills how to play.

Chris Neil is a useless hockey player, a needless semi-goon and not needed in the Ottawa Senators dressing room or in the NHL. But Murray is the Sens' GM, so 4-year deal coming up cos leadership/intensity durr durr durr.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Question is, will Smith be happy as a 4th line centre?

Getting paid to play in the NHL should be good enough for him. He's a good bottom 6 centre who can play the wing and can fight: I don't see why he should feel entitled to better than 4th line centre position. If he wants more he needs to convince the coaches that he can do someone else's job better.

Will he be happy as an extra forward?

It sucks for sure but it's the reality of things. If he wants out if he ends up being the extra forward then so be it: let him try to find another team that will give him a regular shift.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
Getting paid to play in the NHL should be good enough for him. He's a good bottom 6 centre who can play the wing and can fight: I don't see why he should feel entitled to better than 4th line centre position. If he wants more he needs to convince the coaches that he can do someone else's job better.

It sucks for sure but it's the reality of things. If he wants out if he ends up being the extra forward then so be it: let him try to find another team that will give him a regular shift.

I agree with all of this but, Paul Maclean might feel differently. I bet that he finds a way to give both Z. Smith and Chris Neil 3rd line minutes.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Wonder how many in-practice fights the Kings and 'Hawks and Bruins and Penguins had in recent years, or if their enforcers thing it's their job to tell players with actual hockey skills how to play.

Chris Neil is a useless hockey player, a needless semi-goon and not needed in the Ottawa Senators dressing room or in the NHL. But Murray is the Sens' GM, so 4-year deal coming up cos leadership/intensity durr durr durr.

Solid post, although I disagree with the last line. Neil had his moment where he was a useful, serviceable player. And he's always been great in the community. But it's time for him to hang them up. Hell, it's been time for a few years now.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I think Neil is on his last contract with the Senators which will end after two more seasons.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Neil is under contract until he's 37?

We let Kassian go and didn't replace him

I have to think management could be looking at using him there, maybe it isn't just wishful thinking

Jerk Store*

No, he won't

Will-Smith-4.jpg

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

If Hoffman doesn't work out at 3rd line LW I would love to see Smith be given a chance to play there with Zibanejad & Stone. I would also like to see Grant brought up to replace Smith as the 4th line centre. Then again, I would also like to see BM trade for Chris Stewart which would push Chiasson down to the 3rd line & he could possibly replace Hoffman. Chiasson could also replace Neil on the 4th line, if his age starts showing, Ottawa has lots of option possibilities.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
If Hoffman doesn't work out at 3rd line LW I would love to see Smith be given a chance to play there with Zibanejad & Stone. I would also like to see Grant brought up to replace Smith as the 4th line centre. Then again, I would also like to see BM trade for Chris Stewart which would push Chiasson down to the 3rd line & he could possibly replace Hoffman. Chiasson could also replace Neil on the 4th line, if his age starts showing, Ottawa has lots of option possibilities.

Chris Stewart - 6'2, 231 lbs, age 27 in October 2014. 63 games, 15 goals, 16 assists, 31 points last season. That scoring pace appears achievable for the next few years and might reach 28 goals and 30 assists if he returns to prior years form. He might be a good addition, provided we don't have to give up our top youngsters like Zibanejad, Lazar, etc. I would give up two or three of Prince, Pageau, Borowiecki, Claesen, 2nd round pick to get him, but it might take more.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Chris Stewart - 6'2, 231 lbs, age 27 in October 2014. 63 games, 15 goals, 16 assists, 31 points last season. That scoring pace appears achievable for the next few years and might reach 28 goals and 30 assists if he returns to prior years form. He might be a good addition, provided we don't have to give up our top youngsters like Zibanejad, Lazar, etc. I would give up two or three of Prince, Pageau, Borowiecki, Claesen, 2nd round pick to get him, but it might take more.

Hell no.

From the sounds of things from fans in st Louis and Buffalo, Stewart is definitely a guy to stay away from.

Most of our kids should be able to hit 30 points. Not only will the kids get experience, but we won't have to give up any assets for those points, either.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Hell no.

From the sounds of things from fans in st Louis and Buffalo, Stewart is definitely a guy to stay away from.

Most of our kids should be able to hit 30 points. Not only will the kids get experience, but we won't have to give up any assets for those points, either.

Would you do it for Evander Kane? I would. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad