How confident are you come playoff time

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The problem I have with going into the playoffs with DD centering the Habs best scoring winger in Pacioretty again is that teams will again zero in on Pacioretty because they know his center won't shoot and is always looking to pass to Pacioretty. You take Pacioretty away from scoring and the odds the rest of that "top" line scoring a goal goes way way down.

If Pacioretty was playing with a center who wasn't afraid to shoot the puck teams wouldn't be able to zero in on Pacioretty as much because the center would then burn them. I think if Pacioretty was playing with a better non pass first type center I suspect his playoffs goal totals would be higher.

His entire playoff experience would be better.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Tampa didn't, even the Bruins didn't

you're too pessimistic, relax a little

This has nothing to do with pessimism. :shakehead
The Bolts didn't and the Bruins didn't just lends credence to what I'm saying.
They both lost to us...:naughty:

They obviously didn't have that win at all costs approach The Sens and the Rags took with us.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
So curious to see how happy and confident you would be if this team stayed the same going into playoffs.
Just got me thinking after going over some of the players acquired by other teams :(

After L.A acquiring Skera to fill the hole Voynov left
Pittsburgh now added Peron and Winnik
Tulsty is gone to Jets ...

I still feel like if we don't move DD and acquire a gritty, good hockey player like a Ryan O'Rielly we will be disappointed this year. Don't get me wrong I am happy with where we are at, but that's just during the season. Come playoffs I don't know ...I still feel like we are just not big, and tough enough. We are still missing that tough player that can also put puck in the net like a Backes, Simmonds etc.

Let me know how you feel about the current Habs if they were to go into playoffs as is.

The Habs are a very well balanced team, which helps them play good against all types of teams. Adding JDLR, DSP, Tinordi and Pateryn due to injuries, also made the team tougher physically, then we also have Weise & Prust, with McCarron joining the Habs after the OHL playoffs end for Oshawa. There are still many other prospects with size and attitude, Deitz, Didier, Crisp(injury plagued 1st AHL season) Tangradi is a depth 4th liner with size also Lernout & Scherbak are very solid two/way players & good checkers. The Habs look like the Elite Contender from the Eastern Conference for the SC Final, and fans should have a very good perspective after watching next week's road trip against San Jose, Anaheim and LA Kings. Just beat St.Louis 5-2, if somehow the Habs take all of those games, nobody can deny they are for real!:nod::nod::nod:

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
As it is, I think we'll get past the first round. I'd to see another defenseman though. We have so many rookies right now and while they are playing good right now, playoffs is different. On top of that, I don't really think we have a legit second pairing. Beaulieu has been great but Gonchar is older and Markov will slow down as well. Gilbert is not the kind of guy that will step up. Emelin is too inconsistent and who knows how his play will be when he comes back.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
Our window could be closing in 3 years. Pacioretty could easily become crappy going into his 30's. Not to mention Markov/Plekanec retiring/declining with no internal replacements yet.

It's a matter of opinion but I think you are way too pessimistic.

In 2-3 years from now, Pacioretty will be 28-29 years old. Do you honestly think he will be crappy? Plekanec at 34-35 (if still here) should remain a very serviceable player. Markov might be gone/declining (maybe getting a role similar to Gonchar) but Subban will be hitting his prime and Beaulieu and Tinordi will complete the big 3 of this defense core. I'm not even going to mention Dietz and co. in the minors.

Galchenyuk by then will be hitting his stride and become the star most of us believe he will become. Scherbak could also be a contributor by then (and maybe even MCCarron). Gallagher should still be Gallagher and DSP is a very intriguing project.

And barring injuries, Price will remain elite for a long time to come.

That's not counting on future moves Bergevin will be making, most of which I am sure will be good for the team.

There are no guarantees in life but looking at it with a modicum of objectivity, the better days of the Montreal Canadiens are ahead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad