How confident are you come playoff time

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
We have Price but we also have DD so...

DD is not one of our most important player.Normally teams need a huge n1 center because the center is often the best player on the line, but our best forward is Pacioretty.

I'm not the biggest DD fan there is but at least I know he can face adversity.

I don't think he's that important that our chances of winning or not goes through him.

Important players I'm confidant will play great:

Subban
Price
Gallagher (limited offensive production though, just including him cause he's such a safe bet)

Important players that will need to play great if we are to win a stanley cup (on top of the others):

Pacioretty
Markov
Plekanec
Galchenyuk
Beaulieu

I think Pacioretty,Markov and Beaulieu are the key, with Plekanec at least required to play solid defensive hockey.

Then we can win the cup in my opinion.It's been easily 20 years since we had a team so close to possibly winning the cup.I don't care for our previous two runs, the first was a fluke and no way we were winning the cup, and last year the team was still too young.Now with an older Galchenyuk and Beaulieu, things could go our way.

Zombiel3

Feb 23, 2015
Port Hope
Remember '93? I was only 7 but I remember my dad always saying we shouldn't be winning these games. I'm very confident.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
It's reassuring we're one of the top teams. But our top 2 trios worries me. Goalie is great, defense is good even if it could use some tweaking, but our offense...

Putting aside the easily noticeable low scoring output we have, another problem of our team is sustaining offensive pressure. We get outshot a lot. We often stick in our zone. And we don't generate enough scoring chances. That's all because we can't stay put in the opponents' zone. As much as I'd like another 2way offensive player. I think we need a pure offense player and try to balance the line. We need a way to stay out of our zone, more into theirs, then create scoring chances. I love Patches, Chuck, Pleks and Gallagher, but we need more. Out 3rd and 4th lines are good. People keep bringing up their scoring. But really, their job is more defensive. Our 2 top lines are the issue. How do we balance it out.

Most teams that make it far usually buckle down on defense, more than what they do in the regular season. If it's tough for us to score now, I can't imagine what it will be like against teams that play more defensively than they usually do. Add to that Patches, our best scoring threat seems to disappear in the playoffs. He still needs to prove himself.

I'm fairly confident for the first round. But the top 6 worries me for round 2 and further.

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
This is our top 6 entering the playoffs:

Desharnais 5'7" 170 lbs
Gallagher 5'9" 180 lbs
Plek 5'11" 198 lbs plays super soft
Galchenyuk 10 games playoffs experience
Pacio 5 goals in 21 playoffs career game
Dale fkin Weise

This is our top 6.

No I'm not confident.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Would feel better if we had a better backup in case Carey goes down - the way Tokarski has played lately I will be shocked if MB doesn't deal for a UFA G - picked up Dubnyk last year and we were in a better place then

Zombiel3

Feb 23, 2015
Port Hope
This is our top 6 entering the playoffs:

Desharnais 5'7" 170 lbs
Gallagher 5'9" 180 lbs
Plek 5'11" 198 lbs plays super soft
Galchenyuk 10 games playoffs experience
Pacio 5 goals in 21 playoffs career game
Dale fkin Weise

This is our top 6.

No I'm not confident.

Someone didn't watch the playoffs last year.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
Confident because we have Price and Subban, and others who raise their game like Weise/Eller/DSP.

No confidence in DD (ZERO ES GOALS!) and Max until they show otherwise.

Galchenyuk could be our ace in the deck - been very impressed with his contributions over the 2 playoffs he's been in. He doesn't get scared.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
If we win the cup in 2015, Carey Price gets a Conn Smythe. That's not even a question.

Or Subban.

As good as Price is (best goalie in the league), Subban is arguably the best player defenseman in the league as well (only Doughty/Keith can compare, IMO).. If Subban could go PPG and carry the offense, which is by all means a possibility he could win it too.

But really, it's all about those two. If either one of these guys is average for more than one round we will be out.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
With the Price is playing this year, pretty confident. They might make it to SCF with the way he's dominating.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I personally believe that the Habs real window is 2-3 years away but for this year on a scale from 1 to 10 my confidence is...
Winning the 1st round: 7.5
Winning the 2nd round: 5
Winning the 3rd round: 2
Winning the Cup: 1

Obviously this could change by the trade deadline and depending on injuries and our playoff opponents.

Our window could be closing in 3 years. Pacioretty could easily become crappy going into his 30's. Not to mention Markov/Plekanec retiring/declining with no internal replacements yet.

Pricef*

Would feel better if we had a better backup in case Carey goes down - the way Tokarski has played lately I will be shocked if MB doesn't deal for a UFA G - picked up Dubnyk last year and we were in a better place then

I think so too.

Pricef*

Our window could be closing in 3 years. Pacioretty could easily become crappy going into his 30's. Not to mention Markov/Plekanec retiring/declining with no internal replacements yet.

Well then we're ****ed then because imho this roster is 2 years away maybe 3.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
When the playoffs start, I'm never confident.

I'm always incredibly stressed. Like really, really stressed.

I'm the exact same.

I don't care if we trade DD for Crosby at the deadline, I'm still going to be incredibly stressed for every game.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Remember '93? I was only 7 but I remember my dad always saying we shouldn't be winning these games. I'm very confident.
The 93 team was deeper offensively and better structured defensively than this year's team. Roy really didn't have to outright steal a lot of games in that run; of all the OTs they played, not one (I think) went into double OT. The team knew it could score the key goals, and they had lots of guys contributing to that. Damphousse, Muller, Bellows, Lebeau, Leclair, unexpected bonuses from DiPietro, Dionne, etc.

This year, I think Price would outright have to steal multiple games for us to get to the final. Can he do it? Well, yeah, he's been doing it for months. But our offensive production has been sub-par a lot of the year and our depth scoring has been AWOL for weeks. We're just plain defying all the underlying numbers and teams don't tend to win Cups that way.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
It's a funny question cause i'm totally both.

I'm very confident in our key pieces (Price, Subban, Markov, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Pacioretty, Plekanec).....but so not confident about the built of the team.

Desharnais - Plekanec - DLR - Malhotra down the middle is so weak for the PO...
Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Eller - DLR would give me a lot more confidence for our centers

Although Eller is struggling again, i have some degree of confidence because of last year and the same goes for guys like Prust, Emelin and Weise.
And the same can be said about our new acquisition who stepped up his game in last year playoff for Anaheim.

Don't like to have our two forwards under 5'10" on the same line for the PO.
There's many ways around this.

I'm confident in pieces we have, just not confident how this team is building up right now.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
This group has the talent to go all the way. A top 4 D, an upgrade on DD & a top 6 winger with a scoring touch sure would help, but it seems like there aren't any good ones worth the price right now so I'm all in with the current group we have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad