How come players don’t wear custom painted helmets like goalies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Actually I would think that having custom helmets would be more helpful as you could even more easily recognize teammates and even opponents and react accordingly

Yeah, nothing like remembering 18 different helmet colour patterns...is it summer already??

Here's a bright idea, and I should patent it too

one colour = your teammates
2nd colour = other team

Oh wait, I can't patent it because this is already in use because it's so damn simple and easy to understand. And if the helmets don't do it, maybe the bright jersey oughta do it...but hey, who knows. This game is still only 100 years young, they'll figure it out.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Lets go all full Nascar style.
20.SP.jerseyads_620_349_90.jpg

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
They're not even allowed wearing overly tinted visors as far as I'm aware. I doubt painted helmets would be allowed.

I’m pretty sure ovechkin caught flak for his mirrored visor when he first entered the league.

Ovechkin loves being different, he even had sheep painted on his skates during the Olympics I’m pretty sure. Also can’t forget the yellow laces

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
no, of course not.
To me that seems like the distinction of "lame" vs "not lame" is being made based on "something that doesn't happen currently" and "something that does happen currently." If they started painting their helmets I'm sure people would get used to it pretty quickly.

powerbomb

Apr 6, 2013
The goalie masks are awesome, and I don't think you'll easily find anyone that doesn't like to see how a 'tender has customized his design. But having forty different helmets with a hodge podge of colors and patterns would be beyond horrible.

Think of it this way: the goalie is stuck in one zone. He's the caretaker of his side of the ice, and he gets to bring his mojo with him into his house. There's something right about that. A pinwheel of clashing colors weaving all over the rink? I think it'd make for a queasy experience.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Hockey is a sport where individuality is often seen as a negative thing. Outside of goalies having their own flair it's typically not the kind of sport where guys heavily customize their on ice appearance. For better or worse that likely won't change anytime soon.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Are you sure it's not just because DaveArt is Swedish? Eh? Eh?;) I don't think you can blame the painter, it's the goalies that want 10 different things on their mask. I'm sure he could make them more simplistic and look better on TV, but the goalies seem to prefer what they think looks cool, not the fans and viewers.

On a side note, Kakko must be the most Finnish surname I've ever seen.
Dave is Swedish??? No!!! [insert Luke Skywalker "No"] You guys already have Lidstrom and Sundin and now Pettersson, why do you need to have everything?

No, I don't blame the painter. And I agree with the way you agreed with my point, it has to be up to the guys in the locker room close up. (Even if I think it looks crappy on my TV. BTW, I love MAF's all gold setup; you think the concept of a gold helmet for top scorer du jour would have any traction in NA?)

Kakka would be the most Finnish surname but Kaapo Kakko following Aho and Barko and Turbo is awesome! Kotkaniemi is an aberration but at least the shorthand is KK, FWIW.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Why don't players start bedazzling their jerseys? I don't think there's any rule against this (at least I hope not), so they should do it because it would be more fun!

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Actually, why are goalies allowed to paint their masks with weird designs when everyone else's equipment has to be relatively matching?

My Best-Carey

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Hmmmm quite an absurdly silly idea but weirdly intriguing for this day in age may i say

I think it will actually eventually happen.

Weird this has never crossed my mind lol

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Dave is Swedish??? No!!! [insert Luke Skywalker "No"] You guys already have Lidstrom and Sundin and now Pettersson, why do you need to have everything?

No, I don't blame the painter. And I agree with the way you agreed with my point, it has to be up to the guys in the locker room close up. (Even if I think it looks crappy on my TV. BTW, I love MAF's all gold setup; you think the concept of a gold helmet for top scorer du jour would have any traction in NA?)

Kakka would be the most Finnish surname but Kaapo Kakko following Aho and Barko and Turbo is awesome! Kotkaniemi is an aberration but at least the shorthand is KK, FWIW.
This is why I love Finns. You are so much alike us Swedes in the north of Sweden, don't think we are the same as southerners. You had me laugh all the way through your post. Or at least your Darth Vader "Nooooo!" and that Kakka would be even more suitable. Dark humour is sublime.

And I do like that Finnish hockey is growing very well recently, very much. You truly deserve that. We can only hope the NHL dictatorship comes to terms to let us face eachother in the olympics and not the Mickey Mouse tournament. Hopefully another Sweden - Finland olympic final. My heart would stop and then I would laugh about it.

Reactions: Stubu

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
One day someone will argue its against his rights as an individual to express himself and blah blah blah and it will be allowed. Thats how things roll nowadays.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
It would be neat, you'd know your player by their uniform number so that wouldn't be an issue.

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
Relatedly, why are goalie masks nowadays so boring? They used to be much more creative and unique. Did the league mandate that they could only use team colors and approved logos in the designs?

tabness

be a playa
Apr 4, 2014
So by the same logic if everyone had random colour jerseys, it'd be easier to recognize teammates and opponents.

Yeah, nothing like remembering 18 different helmet colour patterns...is it summer already??

2nd colour = other team

Oh wait, I can't patent it because this is already in use because it's so damn simple and easy to understand. And if the helmets don't do it, maybe the bright jersey oughta do it...but hey, who knows. This game is still only 100 years young, they'll figure it out.

So the difference in numbers/faces/sticks/ gloves/whatever is also an issue then? A lot of hockey was played without helmets for a long time.

When I used to play hockey as a kid I used to distinguish the other kids by their equipment all the time.

Anyway the main reason I want to see this is for a more interesting aesthetic.

If I was still playing hockey I’d for sure want to have a custom painted helmet just for the fun of it.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
This is why I love Finns. You are so much alike us Swedes in the north of Sweden, don't think we are the same as southerners. You had me laugh all the way through your post. Or at least your Darth Vader "Nooooo!" and that Kakka would be even more suitable. Dark humour is sublime.

And I do like that Finnish hockey is growing very well recently, very much. You truly deserve that. We can only hope the NHL dictatorship comes to terms to let us face eachother in the olympics and not the Mickey Mouse tournament. Hopefully another Sweden - Finland olympic final. My heart would stop and then I would laugh about it.
Oh dear god I want a full roster Olympic tourney between us, a true heart stopper.

We are very much alike. But you have to give some credit, back in the day you guys conquered Finland alright but the Catholic Church with all its splendor was possibly a big item there, I could imagine some "why not" thinking going on. What with some centuries earlier the Vikings were happier trading and recruiting than trying to invade this stubborn spot of land. Oh boy we have a complicated history. But I like how our navies and air forces are so close friends, even without common purchases. (Maybe that diversity is good too. But now we should avoid politics... It's for good reason the Pol board is kept separate.)

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.

2nd colour = other team

Why do you have the idea that something should get patented so it's any good? You're a Canuck not Murican. (No offense to dear 'Muricans but the lawyerese over there is kind of suffocating.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad