How come players don’t wear custom painted helmets like goalies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tabness

be a playa
Apr 4, 2014
I would love to see this become a thing soon.

I don’t think there is any rule against this (at least I hope not) and I don’t buy the uniform uniforms thing at all cause players weren’t wearing helmets in older days and it isn’t like they needed to dye their hair (or paint their heads for the baldys) team colors...

Sure there will probably be chirping to begin with but...

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
You want your teammates to be as easily recognizable on the ice as possible, sharing plain color helmet painting help for that. You won't be confused about your goaltender if he paints his helmet in whatever design.

Last edited:

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
You want your teammates to be as easily recognizable on the ice as possible, plain color helmet painting helped for that. You won't be confused about your goaltender if he paints his helmet.

Wut?

How does plain color helmets help players be more recognizable?

That doesn't make any sense.

I would say hockey has a culture of avoiding being flashy which is a bigger reason for this.

tabness

be a playa
Apr 4, 2014
You want your teammates to be as easily recognizable on the ice as possible, sharing plain color helmet painting helped for that. You won't be confused about your goaltender if he paints his helmet.

Actually I would think that having custom helmets would be more helpful as you could even more easily recognize teammates and even opponents and react accordingly

Reactions: I am not exposed

VickAshley

Dec 7, 2017
Oak Lawn
twitter.com
In all honestly it is a really cool idea that the OP has come up with and it would not only allow the players to Express themselves creatively out on the ice but also give them "swagger" and their fans more to cheer for and emulate as well as create more merchandising opportunities for the NHL to further monetize the product through tshirts and mini helmets with those unique designs for the fans.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
I was under the impression that it was a rule to wear the same color helmet/gloves/pants/socks as your team. Honestly I don't really care if a player wanted to put a design on their helmet. In Finland they have golden helmets for the top scorer on a team, which is kind of neat, but Selanne called those "hit me helmets" and I feel like they might have the same effect in the NHL. It'll probably be easier to defend McDavid if he's skating around with a yellow helmet or whatever.

Reactions: Chimp and Stubu

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
They're not even allowed wearing overly tinted visors as far as I'm aware. I doubt painted helmets would be allowed.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I think each player should be allowed to do this within their teams respective colour schemes. For example, Leafs players would have a primary pattern in the blue and a primary pattern in the white. All sketches/outlines to remain in colour.

Really cool idea imo, but the manufacturer/brander would never allow it.

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
I think the NHL should put advertisements on team jerseys. Some of the European jerseys are so cool looking. Helmets? With all the lawsuits these days, I don't think the NHL would open themselves up by potentially weakening their effectiveness.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I was under the impression that it was a rule to wear the same color helmet/gloves/pants/socks as your team. Honestly I don't really care if a player wanted to put a design on their helmet. In Finland they have golden helmets for the top scorer on a team, which is kind of neat, but Selanne called those "hit me helmets" and I feel like they might have the same effect in the NHL. It'll probably be easier to defend McDavid if he's skating around with a yellow helmet or whatever.
Unrelated to your point but MAF looks funny with his gold colored goalie gear. I like it.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Lets go all full Nascar style.
20.SP.jerseyads_620_349_90.jpg

Reactions: rosscow

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
In all honestly it is a really cool idea that the OP has come up with and it would not only allow the players to Express themselves creatively out on the ice but also give them "swagger" and their fans more to cheer for and emulate as well as create more merchandising opportunities for the NHL to further monetize the product through tshirts and mini helmets with those unique designs for the fans.
Thank you for your opinion, Bettman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad