How come players don’t wear custom painted helmets like goalies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Because it's part of the uniform, uniform as an an adjective meaning "looking the same." Goalies are a lil different and we know where they'll be on the ice, so having them in the exact same uni is less important.

Honestly I want my teammates as recognizable as possible. Sometimes you react to just a flash of color- tough to do correctly if 2 opposing players are both rocking neon orange helmets.

That said.. creative idea. Wouldn't mind seeing it done for an all-star game or something, or as another poster said, all within the color scheme. I just don't think it's necessary and doubt players would really want it, NHL is conservative compared to, say, NFLers with their cleats. And once again, I really do think there are very slight practical reasons.

VickAshley

Dec 7, 2017
Oak Lawn
twitter.com
I know, I just think your keywords: "merchandising" and "monetize" were kind of within the same realm. You think fans will buy and wear patterned helmets? IMO it will fail and don't make this more of a jippo than it already is.

I said mini helmets not real authentic full-sized helmets, who even buys the regular full sized real helmets as souvenirs anyways? Especially if they dont have customed painting designs on the outside of them. Smh

VickAshley

Dec 7, 2017
Oak Lawn
twitter.com
I know, I just think your keywords; "merchandising" and "monetize" were kind of within the same realm. You think fans will buy and wear patterned helmets? IMO it will fail and don't make this more of a jippo than it already is.

also what is this word that I have bolded in your post you posted?

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
A large portion of top class goalies consider your taste to be ****. So there's that. That's not "nobody", that's you.
Sure, if the goalies and teammates like the hallmark bling bling all detail no theme look, there's no point against it. But it's okay to say it if the designs looks crappy on TV and especially in motion.

Different folks, different strokes. And who else but the goalie decides about his damn mask. Even if the design is utter shit, objectively speaking.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Because it's part of the uniform, uniform as an an adjective meaning "looking the same." Goalies are a lil different and we know where they'll be on the ice, so having them in the exact same uni is less important.

Honestly I want my teammates as recognizable as possible. Sometimes you react to just a flash of color- tough to do correctly if 2 opposing players are both rocking neon orange helmets.

That said.. creative idea. Wouldn't mind seeing it done for an all-star game or something, or as another poster said, all within the color scheme. I just don't think it's necessary and doubt players would really want it, NHL is conservative compared to, say, NFLers with their cleats. And once again, I really do think there are very slight practical reasons.

This is how it looks like in European hockey:

2018_11_23_TPS-Ilves-6.jpg

I have a significantly bigger problem with the ref uniform in terms of recognition, the helmets might be lame but not really an issue otherwise.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

I have a significantly bigger problem with the ref uniform in terms of recognition, the helmets might be lame but not really an issue otherwise.

Fair enough, I assume it'd be tough for me but hockey is tough for me in general so there ya go. Plus if a lot of players do it any advantage/disadvantage would be lost. Agreed on refs.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
I would rather they customize their skates than their helmets.

Goalies already wear a different helmet than the rest of the team.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014

That looks like beer league hockey.

Really bad.

If my seats are $150 I want the team to at least look professional.

Reactions: TruKnyte

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I want this to happen so someone can wear a yellow "hammer" helmet like Ralphie Valladares from 1970s roller derby.
Other than that, it's silly.

DrewGl

Jul 28, 2018
Alexandria, VA
It would look stupid is the only thing I can think of. This would also include any other sport that involves wearing hats/masks/helmets.

Noldo

May 28, 2007
As noted above in the thread, in the Finnish league the top scorer of the team wears golden helmet.

tom99

Oct 22, 2018
As noted above in the thread, in the Finnish league the top scorer of the team wears golden helmet.
should be used in the NHL as well.... and the worst player on the team should also wear a special helmet

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Colours would clash. I think it'd be confusing if my teammate was wearing a pink helmet, and then another couple of players from the opposing team also had pink helmets.

Then my linemate has a yellow helmet, but both d-men we are playing against also had yellow helmets.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Actually I would think that having custom helmets would be more helpful as you could even more easily recognize teammates and even opponents and react accordingly
So by the same logic if everyone had random colour jerseys, it'd be easier to recognize teammates and opponents.

fcpremix88

Mar 9, 2007
Tampa
Wouldn’t this make things more complicated for new fans? I’d also think there would be difficulties with TV viewers, when you consider someone wearing a color that matches an opposing team’s colors.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Colours would clash. I think it'd be confusing if my teammate was wearing a pink helmet, and then another couple of players from the opposing team also had pink helmets.

Then my linemate has a yellow helmet, but both d-men we are playing against also had yellow helmets.

It would have to remain in your teams colour scheme, sort of like a pencil sketch.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Sure, if the goalies and teammates like the hallmark bling bling all detail no theme look, there's no point against it. But it's okay to say it if the designs looks crappy on TV and especially in motion.

Different folks, different strokes. And who else but the goalie decides about his damn mask. Even if the design is utter ****, objectively speaking.
Are you sure it's not just because DaveArt is Swedish? Eh? Eh?;) I don't think you can blame the painter, it's the goalies that want 10 different things on their mask. I'm sure he could make them more simplistic and look better on TV, but the goalies seem to prefer what they think looks cool, not the fans and viewers.

On a side note, Kakko must be the most Finnish surname I've ever seen.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Goaltending mask designs kind of evolved in a grey area, with the first ones being unsanctioned. Designs started like that too but proved to be pretty popular with fans so the NHL wasn't going to ban them, plus with the goalie staying in one spot it wasn't distracting.

I do wish goalies would get some better aesthetic advice on their designs though, as others have mentioned this trend to put a half dozen different pictures, portraits, flags and logos all over has become very ugly and they are just a forgettable mess. Meanwhile much simpler designs like Roy's (on the Habs), Brodeur's, Richter's are classic and still instantly recognizable.

Reactions: Stubu
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad