How come no one talks about Brayden Point?

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Incredible work horse. He’s in the drivers seat on his line, winning pucks and creating chances but best of all he never stops.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
Because he is one of those good players who came in the league at the same time with greatly hyped rookies. Also NHL is too busy hyping Stammer-Kuch.

MisterNoItAll

Oct 21, 2017
The should put him on the point for the power play, so he can prove a point by scoring some points. He’s averaging a point per game, probably because his name is point, “oh look there’s Point getting another point!”

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
There are a bunch of reasons why. First, he was never that highly hyped (some liked him as a late first pick, but he ended up getting drafted in the third). Secondly, he plays for a smaller market. Add to that, there are at least 3 players on his team who are bigger stories with a hot start to the year and/or already established (Stamkos, Kucherov, and Hedman). He got burried under the hype of a lot of other rookies last year (Matthews, Laine, Marner, Nylander, Tkachuk, Murray, and Aho) Those are a lot of reasons why no one is really talking about him right now. If he keeps this up, people will take notice. While he had a go18-year-oldold WJC when bumped up to replace Fabbri, he had a disappointing one at 19 (and battled injuries throughout the year) when he was expected to be a top player on the team with Strome and Marner.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Let me make a point of saying he's a very good player. Hope he makes a point of keeping it up. He can become a secondary point producer for Tampa.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I think he'll be apPointed a first line C or at least close if he can keep this up for another year. Worth mentioning other teams make a Point of putting their best defensive guys out there against the 1st and 2nd Point leaders in the NHL, so he may be benefiting from some sheltered minutes. I think he can stay close to his Point per game pace.

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
One of the local bolts coverage outlets just put an article comparing Point and Marner. Obviously they are different players, but it was an interesting comparison.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Definitely an underappreciated guy. Gets a little lost in the shuffle with how many good forwards Tampa has.

Tyrus

5 ft 7 in.
May 20, 2013
Why wouldn’t he keep up the pace? He’s an absolute dynamo out there. His line consistently dominates possession and zone metrics, and none are riding ridiculous shooting percentages or generally outperforming what is expected of them. He’s very smart, fast as hell, and could very well be THE hardest worker in the league. He’s also set to be “insulated” by Stamkos throughout the prime of his career; pretty soon, teams are gonna have to start making some tough choices about matchups. Tampa’s found an absolute stud in my eyes.

What ?

Point is sitting at 23% shooting as the primary scorer on the line, Palat is shooting 5% over his career average (30% higher shooting % comparatively).

It's highly doubtful the lightning holds on to their current level of production, and even more doubtful that they hold 3 players in the top ten of scoring (that's what PPG+ is).

I can see him hit 65 points, but I doubt he plays 19 minutes a game for the entire year and holds PPG.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
What ?

Point is sitting at 23% shooting as the primary scorer on the line, Palat is shooting 5% over his career average (30% higher shooting % comparatively).

It's highly doubtful the lightning holds on to their current level of production, and even more doubtful that they hold 3 players in the top ten of scoring (that's what PPG+ is).

I can see him hit 65 points, but I doubt he plays 19 minutes a game for the entire year and holds PPG.
Good point. I doubt he sustains this but he's an impressive player. I could see him hit 70pts.

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
Pointless fun fact he went to my son’s school. My son is a TB fan and watches them regularly, he says it’s probably a good thing he’s not in the spotlight as he can just get on with his game

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Has played with Palat and Gourde almost exclusively in my viewings.

Edit: Good players that compliment his speed, but he’s clearly the offensive driver on the line.
That's what people have been saying about Palat's linemates and then you look at the WOWY numbers and start wondering.

Point away from Palat

Corsi For : -3%
Shot For : -2%
Scoring Chance For : -15%
High-Danger Corsi For : -28%

Palat away from Point
CF : +8%
SF : +19%
SCF : +1%
HDCF : +1%

Advanced stats are not the answer to everything but it might raise a point.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
That's what people have been saying about Palat's linemates and then you look at the WOWY numbers and start wondering.

Point away from Palat

Corsi For : -3%
Shot For : -2%
Scoring Chance For : -15%
High-Danger Corsi For : -28%

Palat away from Point
CF : +8%
SF : +19%
SCF : +1%
HDCF : +1%

Advanced stats are not the answer to everything but it might raise a point.
How much time have they actually played apart though? Probably not enough to get any real solid data.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
How much time have they actually played apart though? Probably not enough to get any real solid data.
They played 27 minutes at even strength away from each other, clearly not enough but that's something to follow over time. I really like Point, that's not the question, seeing that post I quoted made me wonder tho and I had to verify. I didn't expect the difference to be that high honestly. I'm sure Point will be just fine, it's more a testament to Palat's "complementary" play.

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
On the team with several super-stars, Point is not the guy people talk about. And in the galaxy of young NHL stars, Point is not the most obvious choice to discuss either. In meanwhile, he makes Tampa that much more dangerous. Yzerman is doing some phenomenal things down South.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I was sold on him when he stepped up to #1 center role last year after all the injuries and didn't look out of place. He's the prototypical Yzerman pick as he has high hockey IQ and has a high work ethic. So glad we got to select him in the second round.

He plays a very similar game to Yzerman's in the late 90s.

Hard to appreciate how good he is until you realize he's probably been our best defensive forward so far this year too.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Why wouldn’t he keep up the pace? He’s an absolute dynamo out there. His line consistently dominates possession and zone metrics, and none are riding ridiculous shooting percentages or generally outperforming what is expected of them. He’s very smart, fast as hell, and could very well be THE hardest worker in the league. He’s also set to be “insulated” by Stamkos throughout the prime of his career; pretty soon, teams are gonna have to start making some tough choices about matchups. Tampa’s found an absolute stud in my eyes.

Because not many players scored over a ppg

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Was going to post in this , but all the puns were taken ,no point now.
It's good to see this phenomenon hit the main boards too, it's not like we make enough puns about Point on thd Lightning boards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad