How can you compare Plekanec with Bergeron ?

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Imagine something like

Pacioretty Eller Gallagher
Bickell Galchenyuk Bourque
Prust Plekanec Cooke/Penner
Moen Halpern White/Dumont

Now that's a big, skilled, fast and physical hockey squad. Playoff hockey.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
Honestly some of you are way too loyal. So you're saying because Pleky has been our best forward in the last 5 yrs we should keep him? And that I don't know his true value to the team? I do, and it's in a 2nd or 3rd line center checking role. Imagine how many points fricking Galchenyuk (even as a rookie) would have put up playing all the minutes Plekanec does? Some of you mistake ice time for skills.

It's not because Pleky gets PP time that he's better than Galchenyuk or Eller. Some could argue that with those two as 1st and 2nd line centers next year we're better off than with Plekanec. I'm not saying he's a detrimal to the team I'm just saying if he plays 3rd line minutes plus 1st PK than he's alright. But not sure about the $5M cap hit but at least he isnt as bad as Gionta or DD.

Plekanec is still the only centre on this team that can play against the NHLs top lines every night. He can shut down Crosby's line, or Ovechkin's (see 2010 playoffs)(also a great argument for all those saying he does nothing in the po, he does), or the Stamkos line in TB ...

Eller might be able to do that in a couple of years, but not now. Nobody on the team can do what he does at this point, and so we need to keep him.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Honestly some of you are way too loyal. So you're saying because Pleky has been our best forward in the last 5 yrs we should keep him? And that I don't know his true value to the team? I do, and it's in a 2nd or 3rd line center checking role. Imagine how many points fricking Galchenyuk (even as a rookie) would have put up playing all the minutes Plekanec does? Some of you mistake ice time for skills.

It's not because Pleky gets PP time that he's better than Galchenyuk or Eller. Some could argue that with those two as 1st and 2nd line centers next year we're better off than with Plekanec. I'm not saying he's a detrimal to the team I'm just saying if he plays 3rd line minutes plus 1st PK than he's alright. But not sure about the $5M cap hit but at least he isnt as bad as Gionta or DD.

More minutes mean more responsibilities, which also means tougher match ups. It isn't just about looking at the TOI section on nhl.com and points.

Nor Galchenyuk nor Eller were ready to overtake Plekanec's role last season. Not even close to it.
This coming season is unknown. As of today, Plekanec remains our best option at #1. Maybe that will change in camp, maybe not, maybe it'll happen midway through the year. We don't know. But now is not the time to trade him.

If we end up signing Vinny, then perhaps, but that will depend on the return.

dmanfish90

How about 76 for 25?
Jan 5, 2011
Newmarket, Ontario
I quoted a bunch of posts, but meh this thread is not worth responding to them.

The main points I want to get across are these:

1) Trading Pleks to give Eller and Galchenyuk more ice-time at the Centre position is a mistake. It's like people believe that Eller coming back from injury and playing all season as the team's "# 3" centre where he scored at about a 60 point pace is going to translate him playing as the # 1 C against teams' top defensive pairing and also still scoring at a 60 point pace...or more.

2) Pleks is one of the best shutdown centreman in the game (Like Bergeron, Toews, and Datsyuk, but not as skilled offensively). Eller will fill that role eventually...but all in due time people. Kessler didn't start being the #2 SHUTDOWN until he was like idk, 25+? Seriously, give Eller and Chucky another season at least to develop (a full season too, might I add) before throwing them into the wild...

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
First of all, off the bat, let's get the obvious point out of the way - Plekanec and Bergeron play similar roles, except Bergeron is better at everything. Stronger, a bit tougher (both are perimeter players but Bergeron is a little better at playing through scrums, because of said strength), better at faceoffs, a little better of a playmaker. Bergeron has proven he's one of the best centers in the NHL, if not top 5, for sure top 10. You can build around Bergeron as the Bruins forwards have.

Plekanec has comparable value tactically in the sense that both are high end at matching up against the opponents best lines making everyone's life a little easier, but Plekanec isn't nearly that good.

How you get from that to "Plekanec must be traded" is beyond me though. Plekanec everything that's been wrong with this team? You mean like elite PK during most of his time here, or enabling us to run an exploitation line by matching up against the best lines night in night out, playing over 20 minutes a night and only missing one game a year? Okay, he never played through a punctured lung, but if you think he doesn't play through injuries just because it's not announced, you don't know hockey. You put the great Krejci in Plekanec's role and come back to me, let's see how great Krejci is when he starts most of his FOs in the defensive zone, doesn't have Bergeron to shield him, and doesn't have Lucic by his side.

Please, if Plekanec is that replaceable, who is going to replace him? Lecavalier, who hasn't been a serious two way player in good 5 years? 19 year old Galchenyuk?

A below average 2C? Please, give me the names of 10 centers who are the second best on their team and still better than Plekanec.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I wouldn't trade Plekanec unless we bring in another top 2 center. Well, maybe if get blown away with offer but doubt that happens.

Galchenyuk is very inexperienced at center in NHL and Eller is coming off major concussion. We don't know yet how he will repond next season. DD is not top 2 center in NHL.

Markowicz

Simple Jacques
Feb 27, 2009
First of all, off the bat, let's get the obvious point out of the way - Plekanec and Bergeron play similar roles, except Bergeron is better at everything. Stronger, a bit tougher (both are perimeter players but Bergeron is a little better at playing through scrums, because of said strength), better at faceoffs, a little better of a playmaker. Bergeron has proven he's one of the best centers in the NHL, if not top 5, for sure top 10. You can build around Bergeron as the Bruins forwards have.

Plekanec has comparable value tactically in the sense that both are high end at matching up against the opponents best lines making everyone's life a little easier, but Plekanec isn't nearly that good.

How you get from that to "Plekanec must be traded" is beyond me though. Plekanec everything that's been wrong with this team? You mean like elite PK during most of his time here, or enabling us to run an exploitation line by matching up against the best lines night in night out, playing over 20 minutes a night and only missing one game a year? Okay, he never played through a punctured lung, but if you think he doesn't play through injuries just because it's not announced, you don't know hockey. You put the great Krejci in Plekanec's role and come back to me, let's see how great Krejci is when he starts most of his FOs in the defensive zone, doesn't have Bergeron to shield him, and doesn't have Lucic by his side.

Please, if Plekanec is that replaceable, who is going to replace him? Lecavalier, who hasn't been a serious two way player in good 5 years? 19 year old Galchenyuk?

A below average 2C? Please, give me the names of 10 centers who are the second best on their team and still better than Plekanec.

Plekanec is a good player, but i think his salary is too high for what he gives the team. Despite the fact that he's very good on the PK and puts up fairly decent points, he's not really a clutch player. He's not very good on the PP, he's not very good on faceoffs, and he's not a great passer either. For a 5 million $ a year center, i expect a player to be at least quite good in one of those departments.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
What has Eller or Galchenyuk accomplished to think that they could fill Plekanec's shoes? He's been Montreal's most consistent forward for the last few years. He's one of the best shutdown centre in the league.

Also, I'm pretty sure you have no clue where you're heading with all this. You start by saying that Bergevin needs to get rid of Plekanec or Gionta or Desharnais, than you drop Plekanec in the depth chart. What's the point? You think Therrien gives him too much minutes? That's reasonable. You think Eller or Galchenyuk should get more PP minutes? That's also reasonable. Getting rid of the only consistent player on this team is a major mistake tho.

Markowicz

Simple Jacques
Feb 27, 2009
I wouldn't trade Plekanec unless we bring in another top 2 center. Well, maybe if get blown away with offer but doubt that happens.

Galchenyuk is very inexperienced at center in NHL and Eller is coming off major concussion. We don't know yet how he will repond next season. DD is not top 2 center in NHL.

If DD plays with Patches he's at least a #2 center. Just like Pacioretty is at least a second line winger when he plays with DD. It's really astonishing how none of you notice how important one player is to other. Neither would have excelled in the NHL up til now if it wasn't for their chemistry.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Plekanec is one of the best players on the team as well as a personal favorite. He has one down fall, he stops to yap once and a while. If he keeps his head in the game and just skates away he's fine, but he stops to yap often enough to pi** me off. When he yaps he gets into the stare down or face rub, he then gets intimidated and is off his game for the duration. If you change that one facet of his game and convince him to skate away he'd be fine. It's not like he's going to do anything any way, why get involved. :dunno:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I attribute his ''disappearance'' (looks more like a fatigue drop than anything else to me) due to the fact he's way overused early on. He is used as a #1 center, has a small stature, and usually drags his linemates on. If Plekanec isn't going, no one on his line is, that tells me a lot about him and his wingers.
He also has the toughest match ups.

He doesn't have a whole lot of offensive flare, and so, needs more creative wingers, something he hasn't had since both AKs were on his wings. That is why I think Eller has the potential to be a better, bigger, version of Plekanec.
Eller has the size, aggression, hands and vision to carry and create plays in the offensive zone. He has what Plekanec lacks.
What is great is that you can see Eller has improved his defensive game by watching Plekanec over the past 2 seasons, he plays like him defensively. Now if only he can improve his faceoffs, we'll have a very special player.

Having Plekanec as a 3rd line center behind Gal-Eller would be a huge luxury.

IMO...Plekanec either needs to have his role altered to be more of a defensive center.

Or the team should consider moving him (for the right compensation mind you).

I don't think Plekanec should be the de-facto #1 offensive center anymore...as in the center who gets the most PP minutes, or the center we go to when we need a goal, etc.

And I agree completely with your assessment of Eller and personally I think that if given the same opportunity, he can prove to be just as effective a player as Plekanec is.

But for some reason...people think that Lars Eller has to put up a PPG season, playing on the 3rd line with virtually no PP time before people are ready to consider that idea

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
If DD plays with Patches he's at least a #2 center. Just like Pacioretty is at least a second line winger when he plays with DD. It's really astonishing how none of you notice how important one player is to other. Neither would have excelled in the NHL up til now if it wasn't for their chemistry.

DD is not my favorite player. I thought he stunk this year. I think he is small, not offensive enough, poor on faceoffs. Only thing he has ever shown here is 2 years ago playing between Patches and Cole.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Plekanec is a good player, but i think his salary is too high for what he gives the team. Despite the fact that he's very good on the PK and puts up fairly decent points, he's not really a clutch player. He's not very good on the PP, he's not very good on faceoffs, and he's not a great passer either. For a 5 million $ a year center, i expect a player to be at least quite good in one of those departments.

I disagree completely.

He was our best center on the PP last year (and usually is good but not great), and he's an above average passer. 5M for a two way, ~60 point center is as fair as you get. That's what jack of all trades make. Grabovski makes more.

Some of you have distorted view of the type of money players make in the NHL right now.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

He makes less than Mikhail Freaking Grabovsky FFS!!!

:facepalm:

Iwishihadacup

Jan 23, 2008
Quebec City
0/10 OP

Try to get a sense of perspective... Pleky is everything wrong with this club... What the hell man?!?

He's probably the only center on this team that you can rely on more than 75% of the time...

We should have other whipping boys than him

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Exactly. If we didn't have Eller or Galchenyuk I wouldnt think about moving Plekanec. If he stays as the 3rd line center than fine but gotta get rid of DD and Gio. Sorry but if you deny this than I would think you didn't watch the team this year. Eller and Galch need to be the go-to guys. Plus Pleky is a tremendous PKer therefore he shouldn't play as many minutes he does especially since he's so soft, his body can't take it.

This is going to rile you up a bit but I think that this is the thread's intent.

Eller is nowhere near as effective as Plekanec. He may be one day, but that day is still a long way off.

Just because YOU say that Eller and Chucky should be the "go to guys" does not mean that it matches reality.

Our problems this past season was not at Center. No, it was at wings and an undersized D.

I get your love for Eller. He is not ready to be our number one center.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
This is going to rile you up a bit but I think that this is the thread's intent.

Eller is nowhere near as effective as Plekanec. He may be one day, but that day is still a long way off.

Just because YOU say that Eller and Chucky should be the "go to guys" does not mean that it matches reality.

Our problems this past season was not at Center. No, it was at wings and an undersized D.

I get your love for Eller. He is not ready to be our number one center.

Hah, southern_Hab still down hating on lil' Eller. :laugh:

Laboeuf

Apr 14, 2013
Patrice Bergeron is one of the best in the league. He's strong, and most complete player. Plekanec is a good two way player but not complete.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Haha! Plekanec isn't the problem, the problem is that he never had a solid first center in front of him. Plekanec should have been a 2nd center, 2nd PP, some PK + 1st 3 on 5/4 PK. The Boston Bruins also have a center that isn't physical in their top 2, Krejci, and this isn't a problem at all.

Plekanec is our most complete forward in the last 6 years and have probably the best work ethic in the team

In my opinion, Desharnais is the one who doesn't fit in the team anymore.

Last edited:

Poulet Kostopoulos

Oct 23, 2009
This type of thread just reminds me of the sad fact that Plek has consistently being plugged scraps as linemates while we desperately tried to have another offensive line.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Patrice Bergeron is one of the best in the league. He's strong, and most complete player. Plekanec is a good two way player but not complete.

How is he not "complete"?

He plays in all 3 zones, in offensive and defensive situations, PK PP, faceoffs and shows up every night, how much more complete can he be?

Do you expect him to sell popcorn and do play by play also?

:facepalm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad