How are you staying fit during the Coronavirus?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
pick-up roller hockey outdoors, mens league hockey indoors, golf and driving range.

i been playing a lot of golf during the quarantine (3-5 times a week). nothing better then getting out there and walking 18 holes on a nice day. being active and getting some sun is good in these depressing times.

if you simply want to keep the pounds off, the biggest thing would be dieting and eating cleaner.

Reactions: JMCx4

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I built a home gym for my wife which I outfitted well enough to be a backup for me which can handle most anything, so we're all set.

She only has time to hit the actual gym on weekends, so otherwise this is her go-to and will always be used. The whole quarantine thing did push me to get a few things I'd been waiting on, but there are still some more I'm holding out on. Eventually it'll happen, but nothing further is necessary except a couple small things.

Continued expanding the home gym since March. Now we're not even planning on going back to a "real" gym even though they're opening back up now. It'll definitely be a long time, if we ever do.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Peloton. Lost 25 pounds in 3 months. Absolutely amazing.

I figured out a great way to walk that line, so here is what I have been doing.

Once my company sent everybody home with their computers, I started to eat what I want when I wanted it. I cook breakfast, lunch, and dinner Monday through Friday, so "what I want" means something I can make at home (I'm not exactly Gordon Ramsay, so it's pretty limited), and lunch has to be made and consumed in 30 minutes.

On the weekends, I have my "cheat days," where I order out and I only eat when I'm hungry. This usually means one full meal. If I snack, it's usually something like almonds (unsalted as I have high blood pressure) or Greek yogurt or something like that.

I don't drink much, since that is only fun with other people. I don't have junk food on hand because I've known for a long time that I have no self control, and the last time I ate a bag of potato chips, I didn't even enjoy it that much.

Due to the excessive amount of down time, I started going for walks after work. My usual route is about 4 miles, and this takes up a good hour of the day. The only times I skipped them were when it was raining out.

The end result: I weighed 208 pounds in January and last week, I was down to 175. Other than a belt (for obvious reasons), I've put off buying new clothes because I have no idea when I'll need to go anywhere other than the grocery store.

Great work guys! Lots to be proud of here.

Reactions: BOS358

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I caved and went back to the gyms. I’m a person who loses interest in things quickly so I need a lot of options to stay interested.

Cant stress enough how much better I feel now that I’m back. I don’t think I realized that I felt kinda depressed just doing cardio/body weight a few times a week compared to going to the gym most days.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I'm not a long-time fitness enthusiast, just a 60-something male trying to avoid another heart attack. I stopped going to our community center fitness facility when they closed in early March (3 times per week routine of cardio & medium resistance for upper body strength). I have since been substituting 3-4 hilly walks per week through my subdivision & adjacent park plus 2-3 sessions per week with hand weights. In the last 3 weeks I've swapped one weekly outdoor walk for a 50-minute brisk indoor ice skating session now that our local rink has reopened - with masks mandatory. I feel like I've maintained my level of fitness through these routine changes, though I've gained about 5 pounds over the last 7 months, and I know the hills are easier to climb now than they were back in March. Like some other posters, I don't see myself returning to gym workouts any time soon (too much risk for my age & health history). But I'll have to get creative to maintain my exercise frequency & effort as winter comes.

Reactions: adsfan
Sep 19, 2008
Very difficult to stay fit without any gyms (well they're open but just going there seems stupid at this point plus the parking lot is always jam packed so I can assume there is no social distancing going on)

So I recently ordered a exercise bike that was recommended on Amazon as a result. They said it is a "cheap Peloton bike" and seeing as Peloton is largely a paid for service on your TV I figured I might as well get it. Now I haven't ridden it yet but I imagine I would hop on later this week and cycle a bit (without the paid Peloton service at this time, maybe later)

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Decided to not rejoin a gym so I’ve spent a bit more towards the home setup

Attachments

• 47AA68D9-C14F-4924-826A-18040A41C945.jpeg
    47AA68D9-C14F-4924-826A-18040A41C945.jpeg
    262.6 KB · Views: 22

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Thanks to the second wave my gym has made masks mandatory at all times. This obviously includes working out. So cardio is off my list for a while.
Probably going to have shorter sessions as well.

How do you find working out with a mask?

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Thanks to the second wave my gym has made masks mandatory at all times. This obviously includes working out. So cardio is off my list for a while.
Probably going to have shorter sessions as well.

How do you find working out with a mask?

I love it. Takes me back to muay thai days when they made us train with oxygen restricting masks.

Reactions: Rob

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
I keep squatting, it's bad. I find it easy to just pick up a couple dumbells and do three sets of squats and some chair sits or calf raises.

I've been really lazy when it comes to doing pushups or shoulder raises or chinups. With squats and leg exercises, it's 10-20 minutes I'm done every second day but I find it hard to have the discipline to change the routine to do other exercises.

The problem is that I don't see post-Covid fixing this because I've found it convenient to exercise in my room or to go do it in the basement and I'm too lazy to go drive to the gym. The only time I ever went to the gym consistently was when I lived across the street from one for a summer.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I keep squatting, it's bad. I find it easy to just pick up a couple dumbells and do three sets of squats and some chair sits or calf raises.

I've been really lazy when it comes to doing pushups or shoulder raises or chinups. With squats and leg exercises, it's 10-20 minutes I'm done every second day but I find it hard to have the discipline to change the routine to do other exercises.

The problem is that I don't see post-Covid fixing this because I've found it convenient to exercise in my room or to go do it in the basement and I'm too lazy to go drive to the gym. The only time I ever went to the gym consistently was when I lived across the street from one for a summer.

Time to invest in more home gym equipment then. I'm not returning to my local gym and while I miss some of the people I like being right here, my stuff setup how I want, no wait, nobody's crap music playing, etc

I bought a huge squat rack and built my own deadlift platform last month so that really put me all in on staying at home for training.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Winter blows, especially in these times.

I was getting great exercise walking 18 holes 3-4 times a week. I'm lucky if I play golf once every couple of weeks now. Pick up hockey outside is also getting more rare with colder temps and sun going down at 4:30.

Depressing.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Winter blows, especially in these times.

I was getting great exercise walking 18 holes 3-4 times a week. I'm lucky if I play golf once every couple of weeks now. Pick up hockey outside is also getting more rare with colder temps and sun going down at 4:30.

Depressing.
What condition or conditions have changed to reduce your golfing frequency: Course hours reduced, reduced daylight hours, outdoor temperatures? I've adjusted to the latter two & kept up my 3 times/week outdoor walking routine, but my schedule may be more flexible than yours. And I would've thought pick-up hockey players would find ways/places to play after dark & certainly in cold temps. :huh:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
What condition or conditions have changed to reduce your golfing frequency: Course hours reduced, reduced daylight hours, outdoor temperatures? I've adjusted to the latter two & kept up my 3 times/week outdoor walking routine, but my schedule may be more flexible than yours. And I would've thought pick-up hockey players would find ways/places to play after dark & certainly in cold temps. :huh:

Temperature and Frost Delays. I would usually get up early and play before work but now it’s so cold in my area there’s always frost on the ground with hours long frost delays and earlier tee times eliminated, so not much of an option anymore. And I can’t play after work with it being dark at 4:45. So basically only weekends if weather permits.

As for hockey, we play roller hockey. I’m in New York where it gets really cold in the winter but quite cold enough for ponds and lakes to freeze over. It’s harder getting a crew and game in colder temps and with fewer day light hours.

Reactions: JMCx4

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I have got pretty lazy through Covid I won’t lie. But I go for long walks, and still do many push ups and sit ups. I’m not in great shape by any means, and eat terrible. I likes me fast food lol! My kid also try’s to stretch with me. I keep up a good stretching routine. Lots of things you can do around the house, and go for jogs to keep you in decent shape. Last night my spouse was taking a video of my kid trying to hold his leg up with me lol
upload_2021-6-19_13-46-38.jpeg

Reactions: Kaner9

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I have got pretty lazy through Covid I won’t lie. But I go for long walks, and still do many push ups and sit ups. I’m not in great shape by any means, and eat terrible. I likes me fast food lol! My kid also try’s to stretch with me. I keep up a good stretching routine. Lots of things you can do around the house, and go for jogs to keep you in decent shape. Last night my spouse was taking a video of my kid trying to hold his leg up with me lol
View attachment 447896

I envy your flexibility and range of motion. What is your stretching routine? I need a breakthrough with my flexibility, it sucks really bad.

Reactions: tardigrade81

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I envy your flexibility and range of motion. What is your stretching routine? I need a breakthrough with my flexibility, it sucks really bad.
Thanks friend. Much appreciated! I find the trick with flexibility is to stick with it. What generally happens with people, they do an intense stretching routine one night and wake up the next day super stiff and decide “nope this isn’t for me” the trick is to stick with it but also listen to your body! If you’re so stiff you can’t walk the next day, take the day off but get back at it the day after or the day after that.

with that said, the routine I use is based off the link I will post below. It is absolutely brilliant. Bill Superfoot Wallace was one of the best kick-boxers of his time. A big reason for it was his great flexibility and power. I started watching his videos and would do the straddles, and poses to what felt comfortable to me…. Slowly but surely over the years I became more and more flexible

I guarantee if you do this routine daily you will greatly improve your flexibility in just a couple weeks. Good luck :) and like I said…. Don’t push too hard. If you’re stiff the next day, listen to your body and take a rest day, nothing wrong with that at all

Reactions: nihlify

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Riding my bike really.

I have lost 45kg (around 100lbs) in 10 months.

I have cut out white sugar, but still eat some crap. But I make sure to get my fill of fibre and most importantly enough water every day.

It's weird being fitter than I've ever been when I am nearing 40. Also frustrating to be in my best form ever and not being able to play football or floorball due to my arthritis which makes me unable to run even a couple of metres..

%7BCD3EC8B7-4F29-4BA8-BDDB-B410ADDD2B62%7D.jpg

Last edited:

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Riding my bike really.

I have lost 45kg (around 100lbs) in 10 months.

I have cut out white sugar, but still eat some crap. But I make sure to get my fill of fibre and most importantly enough water every day.

It's weird being fitter than I've ever been when I am nearing 40. Also frustrating to be in my best form ever and not being able to play football or floorball due to my arthritis which makes me unable to run even a couple of metres..

%7BCD3EC8B7-4F29-4BA8-BDDB-B410ADDD2B62%7D.jpg
Damn. Awesome job !!! You look great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad