How are you staying fit during the Coronavirus?

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Curious to see what others are doing with gyms shut down. I’ve been running most days with abs, pushups, squats, and lunges added in. Getting pretty bored already though.

I know there are much bigger issues from this, but I really hate that I can’t go to the gym after work. It’s more than just a place to stay fit, it’s a mental break from everything else. There’s other ways to exercise of course, but it’s really not the same for me.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I miss the gym as well for the same reasons. I know its necessary to prevent the spread but i needed the mental break from work and i had a nice routine going.

I've been experimenting with body weight and exercise band workouts to replace the weight lifting i was doing at the gym and going for 5 mile walks pretty much every day.

Every fitness youtuber has been putting out home workout videos. So ive been watching a ton of those and keeping what i like and trying new ones until a build 3 or 4 good total body workout routines.

Not there yet but hopefully ill stay on track.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I built a home gym for my wife which I outfitted well enough to be a backup for me which can handle most anything, so we're all set.

She only has time to hit the actual gym on weekends, so otherwise this is her go-to and will always be used. The whole quarantine thing did push me to get a few things I'd been waiting on, but there are still some more I'm holding out on. Eventually it'll happen, but nothing further is necessary except a couple small things.

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's more important than ever to stay in shape. This virus preys on the unhealthy. I am doing about 30-45 min. day of Tai Chi, some much needed yardwork, and the dog never had it so good. The more sunshine the better for fighting this thing.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I have a home gym so its no big deal. That said the program im doing is a lot of cardio based stuff and not even using a ton of heavy weights. People really underestimate what bodyweight exercises can do and really limit themselves to a few exercises when in reality there are tons of great exercises for any skill level

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Damn I'm not sure if that's a good routine, I'm that out if shape, or both.

For a snack I'm eating grapes, watermelon, bananas, berries and the odd thing of chips as chips are delicious. I've had trail mix before, too.

Is there any other food that's surprisingly good for you as a snack ? I also have yogurt.

Or what I've mentioned isnt really the best for you.

I've switched from white to whole wheat bread.

I've given up pop unless we go out(which we can't) or if we order something once a month, which isnt too bad ?

Would protein powder and stuff matter at this point, or just wait until I'm more consistent and don't buy that stuff just incase I lose interest/focus and have wasted that money ?

That's what I posted on the habs board.

I also get some work out from wrestling with my kids and we almost daily go for a walk about 45, 60 minutes or more.

I figure with this lockdown lasting until June I think I saw in Ontario/Canada I can likely get it into my routine, so when work starts back up, I'll have it engrained to do a work out.

In my quoted post, I quoted a video a person posted. Is that video adequate for a beginner ? Once I get in a bit better shape move on from it, or just wait until it becomes easy enough where I don't break a sweat.

Apologies for random and all over the place questions and thank you for any help

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I have my own very nice home gym filled with weights, equipment and barbells. For cardio i'll use my treadmill, punching bag, rower, or go for a long run with the gf.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Beach runs 4-5 times a week followed by abs. There's an oval where they have pull up and dips bars. 2-3 bike rides a week to put some miles in the legs. Been getting into pad rounds lately too. Have lost 7-8 kgs in the last 4 weeks.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Beach runs 4-5 times a week followed by abs. There's an oval where they have pull up and dips bars. 2-3 bike rides a week to put some miles in the legs. Been getting into pad rounds lately too. Have lost 7-8 kgs in the last 4 weeks.
I hope you carry & use disinfecting wipes before that part of your routine. And congrats on the weight loss - lots of us could stand (or rather run and ride and lift and squat) to do that ourselves.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I hope you carry & use disinfecting wipes before that part of your routine. And congrats on the weight loss - lots of us could stand (or rather run and ride and lift and squat) to do that ourselves.

I don't carry but I do wear gloves which I then chuck in the wash.

Tbh some of that weight drop is because of muscle loss but what do you do.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I don't carry but I do wear gloves which I then chuck in the wash.

Tbh some of that weight drop is because of muscle loss but what do you do.

Some hard bodyweight work for your legs and upper body along w/adequate nutrition will help you build muscle without a gym, nevermind lose it!

Granted it takes a lot of the proper effort and is usually excrutiating for one unfamiliar with that type of training to get through, but it can work. Hell, even doing a lot of brief period/high-volume work just a little at a time will add up over a week's time, a month's time, etc.

True, hard HIIT sprints/jog (I mean completely balls-out sprinting) alone a few times per week would be enough for your quads. Years ago when I used to do it, I would have to structure leg days around my HIIT work because they'd be just as sore from that! I've been afraid to get into doing that for quite a while, haha.

If you're really interested I'd be happy to come up w/some ideas for everything else, but leg-wise here are some ideas that most wouldn't think of. I make most of these staples in my routines with and without weight anyway, and they can be done anywhere.

"Real", old-school sissy squats & glute-ham raises are 2 movements which alone would take care of your legs. Not the modern/modified versions, although those can be done if your experience level justifies...as a way to help learn the movement if necessary and build up to the "real way" which does indeed make a big difference. Couple those w/long distance lunge variations, single-leg pistol squats, skater squats, hamstring bridges, inverted bench leg extensions (I can find an example if you're interested), etc. Focusing on time under tension (rep speed, tension:time ratio) can be magical for those who never really worry about it, too.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I stopped running when I came to the conclusion that my homemade mask was making it next to impossible to breath during intense cardio and that running/biking supposedly increases your spread radius.

Now I’m sticking to modified WODs posted by my box involving body weight, dumbbells, and jump ropes. I’m also still walking around 3 miles a day on an empty nearby trail(wearing a mask and social distancing of course)

Really not having the option to eat out and not being caught at festivals, events, or malls is probably the making the biggest difference in my health though. While I usually try to log meals from restaurants, we all know those macros and calories are suggestive at best.

I was also debating going on keto again but with grocery availability I’m not sure it’s an appropriate time for specialty diets.

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
A lot of running outside. It's safe! The Belgian "study" was not actually a study and the authors have more or less backed off on the "findings".

Provincial health officials are also recommending we go outside and exercise.

Last week I did 90 km.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I bit the bullet and bought a squat rack, bench and Olympic plates. I’m looking for bumper plates and a deadlift platform and already cancelled my membership that was prepaid for the year so I have a cheque coming my way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad