How are you staying fit during the Coronavirus?

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
I bit the bullet and bought a squat rack, bench and Olympic plates. I’m looking for bumper plates and a deadlift platform and already cancelled my membership that was prepaid for the year so I have a cheque coming my way.
I've been looking for plates for over a month now. Sold out everywhere. Not willing to pay 3 times the price from some gouger.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I've been looking for plates for over a month now. Sold out everywhere. Not willing to pay 3 times the price from some gouger.

Bells of Steel will be getting bumper plates in at the end of the month. They have both a Canadian and a US site. Prices are affordable and quality is pretty good. I’m not sure if they have steel plates coming in this month.

I lucked out as a Vancouver company is in start up here and I was able to pick up 300lbs of competition bumpers. I’ve have everything setup and friends are coming over to train now too.

Reactions: 42

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
How long do you fast for?
Started 16 bumped it up an hour every week after 2-3 weeks until 20 hours. Been there since loving it. I have a cheat day whenever I want but usually fast at least 5-6 days week. I'm a shift worker so times are always changing but whenever I stop eating I start the 20 hours. Good luck to you this really works and I'm feeling great energy wise.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Too add to my above post I purchased bumper pads since I’m in a 2 bedroom suite without room for a deadlift platform. One of the best purchases I’ve ever made. I bought them to mitigate noise but they are amazing for doing high rep deadlifts too failure. I’ve been doing deadlifts 2-3 times a week and I’ve gotten passed the maintaining level and I’m start to see substantial progress

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Started 16 bumped it up an hour every week after 2-3 weeks until 20 hours. Been there since loving it. I have a cheat day whenever I want but usually fast at least 5-6 days week. I'm a shift worker so times are always changing but whenever I stop eating I start the 20 hours. Good luck to you this really works and I'm feeling great energy wise.

I don’t mean to be rude because if this works for you, that’s great and you should continue. But in general, fasting for health reasons is not recommended by dietitians.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I don’t mean to be rude because if this works for you, that’s great and you should continue. But in general, fasting for health reasons is not recommended by dietitians.
It's not rude at all and truth be told there's writing proving it's good for you as well. Whatever works for the individual I suppose. However I do agree extreme fasting meaning over 24 regularly I agree would not be smart.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Been a home gym guy since 2017, so this has unaffected me. However, the ease of being able to cook more food fresh has led me to making a healthier and better breakfast every morning. So far I've gone from around 195lbs to 185lbs, while maintaining most of my muscle mass since I started quarantining.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Finally got a power rack, FID bench, bar bell and weight plates as a combo deal. I already had a (crappy) bench and some dumbbells. Now I've got an almost full gym at home. Missing still are equipment to do hamstring exercises, which I'm forced to do with body weight now, seated calf raises, and a pulley for those ab cable crunches I love.

For cardio, I have a stationary bike and running outside.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Finally got a power rack, FID bench, bar bell and weight plates as a combo deal. I already had a (crappy) bench and some dumbbells. Now I've got an almost full gym at home. Missing still are equipment to do hamstring exercises, which I'm forced to do with body weight now, seated calf raises, and a pulley for those ab cable crunches I love.

For cardio, I have a stationary bike and running outside.

I love lying hamstring curls, but RDL and pullthroughs are the best hamstring exercises anyway. A BB or DBs on your knees and feet on a block works well for seated calf work in a pinch, too. You can do a million core exercises without machines too, try a bunch and you may find a new favorite.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Currently, yard work and a lot of it. Cutting down tree limbs, full trees, dragging out tree limbs and piling said trees. from there we got an industrial chipper in and have created two extremely large piles which I have been hand shoveling chips into a trailer and then shoveling/spreading them and creating a trail from the start of our treeline that leads into our garden/firepit within our treeline.

otherwise I have been mostly using my treadmill at home and light weights.

Spikey

Feb 12, 2020
Using my light weights, resistance bands, bodyweight and my Elliptical machine and when it's nice out going for long walks/hikes.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
My rack finally arrived

Attachments

• IMG-0388.JPG
    IMG-0388.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 14

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Gyms are open in BC since June.1st

I do 4 days straight then 3 days off
What gym do you go to? And how are things different? My gym, Goodlife, sent an email saying they'll restrict number of members allowed at any given time so you'll have to sign up to guarantee entrance. Also, no towel service (no biggie) and no showers (which could be a problem if it persists when I am back at the office).

Are you able to keep your distance from others?

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
What gym do you go to? And how are things different? My gym, Goodlife, sent an email saying they'll restrict number of members allowed at any given time so you'll have to sign up to guarantee entrance. Also, no towel service (no biggie) and no showers (which could be a problem if it persists when I am back at the office).

Are you able to keep your distance from others?

I am with Anytime Fitness, my gym has a max capacity of 45. They out plexiglass barriers between the cardio machines. They have disinfectant wipes all over, hand sanitizers, etc. they have tape on the floor to measure out the area you can workout from.

They have staff that do sanitize every 2 hours with the spray hose on the floors, walls and equipment. I do keep my distances yes, if it’s crowded in one area I stay back until it’s clear.

Reactions: Rob

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I walk when I can. We have had lousy weather this year. It was very rainy all spring, followed by days of 90 F with 90% humidity. If I go out early, I can walk anywhere in my neighborhood. Other times the sidewalks are crowded like it is holiday shopping season. I have to cross the street every block like it is a slalom course.

I have a commitment to do 500 miles this year. I was way ahead thanks to walking indoors at Admirals games. Now I am just on pace due to the weather.

I have been doing some yard work, like digging out old bushes that are half dead. I also discovered some mutant weeds. I need a flame thrower for them.

The idiots next door hacked my hedge, which is completely on my property. They somehow didn't touch one weed. A lot of those weeds came from their yard. I have a small maple tree growing in part of my hedge. I wonder if I can accidentally drop it on their garage?

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I’ve been jump roping with running/squats/push ups in between. Pretty much accepted the fact that gyms likely won’t be back for a long time where I live and I need to get used to it.

Reactions: JMCx4

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
It's not rude at all and truth be told there's writing proving it's good for you as well. Whatever works for the individual I suppose. However I do agree extreme fasting meaning over 24 regularly I agree would not be smart.
Ive been doing alternate day fasting since mid June. Lost 10kg.

Fast 6 pm to 6 pm every second day.

And I do regular training sessions on my indoor bike. Like hard sessions such as 3 hours of (power) zone 2 training or VO2 Max Intervals.

Zero issues with energy.

Fasting is actually great as a tool because i dont have worry about what I eat. I eat pretty good as it is, more so just cutting out things like chocolate etc. But I can eat a nice calorie dense pasta for dinner if I so choose without worrying.

I am a very good cook and love to cook so this is important to me.

Reactions: 82Ninety42011

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Ive been doing alternate day fasting since mid June. Lost 10kg.

Fast 6 pm to 6 pm every second day.

And I do regular training sessions on my indoor bike. Like hard sessions such as 3 hours of (power) zone 2 training or VO2 Max Intervals.

Zero issues with energy.

Fasting is actually great as a tool because i dont have worry about what I eat. I eat pretty good as it is, more so just cutting out things like chocolate etc. But I can eat a nice calorie dense pasta for dinner if I so choose without worrying.

I am a very good cook and love to cook so this is important to me.
Yes, the best part is eat what you want without guilt. I'm happy it's working for you and it has many health benefits!!

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... The idiots next door hacked my hedge, which is completely on my property. They somehow didn't touch one weed. A lot of those weeds came from their yard. I have a small maple tree growing in part of my hedge. I wonder if I can accidentally drop it on their garage?
Try a bigger tree, make 'em notice. Or make sure to sharpen the end of the small maple before you launch it toward their garage.

Reactions: adsfan

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
I mean I think people need to be careful not to just eat what they want but the alternative of avoiding foods and having cheat days makes no sense to me.

I figured out a great way to walk that line, so here is what I have been doing.

Once my company sent everybody home with their computers, I started to eat what I want when I wanted it. I cook breakfast, lunch, and dinner Monday through Friday, so "what I want" means something I can make at home (I'm not exactly Gordon Ramsay, so it's pretty limited), and lunch has to be made and consumed in 30 minutes.

On the weekends, I have my "cheat days," where I order out and I only eat when I'm hungry. This usually means one full meal. If I snack, it's usually something like almonds (unsalted as I have high blood pressure) or Greek yogurt or something like that.

I don't drink much, since that is only fun with other people. I don't have junk food on hand because I've known for a long time that I have no self control, and the last time I ate a bag of potato chips, I didn't even enjoy it that much.

Due to the excessive amount of down time, I started going for walks after work. My usual route is about 4 miles, and this takes up a good hour of the day. The only times I skipped them were when it was raining out.

The end result: I weighed 208 pounds in January and last week, I was down to 175. Other than a belt (for obvious reasons), I've put off buying new clothes because I have no idea when I'll need to go anywhere other than the grocery store.

Reactions: LarKing and JMCx4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad