How are you feeling about Tavares these days?

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
No. 11M of cap space is a lot of value and teams know it. You can't move JT at 11M cap no matter his actual salary without giving up a 1st.

You're greatly greatly overestimating how much balls this franchise's front office has and how much they care about reputation. There is a 0% chance JT isn't here next season. 0%. It's not 0.1%, it's literally 0%.
If he’s here then they really don’t care about their reputation.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If he’s here then they really don’t care about their reputation.
If he is here you can say they care more about their reputation than winning. Not sure why him being here next year would hurt their reputation unless he beat up a cab driver or mooned a security guard this summer.

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
If he is here you can say they care more about their reputation than winning. Not sure why him being here next year would hurt their reputation unless he beat up a cab driver or mooned a security guard this summer.

"If he is here you can say they care more about their reputation than winning. Not sure why him being here next year would hurt their reputation..."

😆 lol

@ToneDog you already answered your own question ; )

• Haha
Reactions: ToneDog

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
His effort is inconsistent and his attention to detail defensively is suspect as hell.

This summer will be a fairly easy negotiation with him. Have a number (not above 4m per) offer it and if he doesn't like it, let him walk.

He's nearing Spezza levels here.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
His effort is inconsistent and his attention to detail defensively is suspect as hell.

This summer will be a fairly easy negotiation with him. Have a number (not above 4m per) offer it and if he doesn't like it, let him walk.

So he's nearing Spezza's level but you are willing to offer him "not above $4m" ? When did Spezza come close to putting up 25 goals and 60+ points as a Leaf?

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto

Last time around, Tavares was UFA and in his prime; he had all the leverage.
Next time around, Tavares is a UFA in a decline; Leafs have all the leverage.

He's made his money, if he wants to stay he'll do so at a number that makes sense not $6m+ like some psychos on here have speculated lmao.

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
Someone leaked this photo to me of Murray from the summer '23

*I'm only speculating but rumour is Brandon Shanahan wears white shoes when he goes "running"
**I was also told Tavares has seen this photo

Polish_20240328_143057735.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Maple Leaf

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Tavares 5v5 underlying stats on the year with REL

TOI/GP: 14:02
xGF%: 55.08 (+5.78)
Goal Differential: 54.67(+1.56)

Despite his 9 game pointless streak in January (which was the biggest driver of his comparatively lowish goal differential), his underlying numbers remain extremely strong due to him putting in, not only the best defensive season of his career but also one of the better ones among top 6 centers this season. His finishing has certainly come back around as of late and it's probable he'll end up with around 30 goals and 70 points IMO. Combine all that with being a top 10 faceoff guy and its not hard to see why he's he's got this type of rating from the Athletic:

Offensive rating: 91st percentile
Defensive rating: 86th percentile
Market value this season: 9.8 million

Comparable values: Brayden Point, Dylan Larkin

Since Marner went down, he's been one of the guys really standing tall for the team which has been great as well.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
"it makes no sense" lmfao @ACC1224 🤣

But since you just wanna shit talk... tell me why it, as you put it "makes no sense"?

Please enlightenment me???

Otherwise you have lost all credibility with the forum imho
It's been explained 1000's of times, obviously you don't understand the situation so another explanation isn't going to help you.
I'll give you one nugget, see if you can grasp it.
They can't threaten him with 'ahl bound for hardball' because he has a NMC

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
It's been explained 1000's of times, obviously you don't understand the situation so another explanation isn't going to help you.
I'll give you one nugget, see if you can grasp it.
They can't threaten him with 'ahl bound for hardball' because he has a NMC

Screenshot_20240328-151729_Photo Editor Pro - Polish.jpg

What the *uck does NMC have to do with a mutual contract termination?

How do you know that the Leafs and Tavares haven't already discussed this exact same scenario before Tavares signing?

Why wouldn't Tavares want more money?
Why can't they send him to the AHL hypothetically speaking? ** if his NMC says no AHL than I'll admit they can't do that but the stories the same... put him in the pressbox if he insists (The AHL threat thing was a mechanism for people to understand what i was saying at the beginning rather that what I'd expect needed to be said to Tavares about mutual termination vs evoking his NMC)

Seems like your helmet, fanboy love for Tavares or just simple dislike for me restricts you from understanding the situation correctly ⛑ lol

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yes. I know. With a NMC/NTC.

That's why you ask him to waive it in the summer.
And if he doesn’t waive that shows they don’t care about their reputation?

Last edited:

myleafs

May 25, 2021
He is owed 910K in real dollars. Doubt contract termination by the Leafs is the answer because the $11m cap hit has to go somewhere. The answer is to move him to a team that needs to reach the cap floor and saves millions in real dollars. With Chicago over paying stiffs like Mrazek, Foligno and Perry, they would be a good candidate. Sell Tavares on the city of Chicago and playing with Bedard. It is a possibility if the Leafs have the stomach for it. My guess is they have resigned themselves to Tavares being here the last year of his deal.
yep, my mistake re how much he will be owed after bonuses. If he would agree a few teams would be more than interested. I agree that in the end he remains a leaf at least til his contract his up.

Reactions: ToneDog

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
So how much are we betting lmao 😆 @TMLife17 🤔
Let's go MR 0.0 percent 💪
Or are you just another *lown who talks $hit 🤡?
Dm a mod I’ll put a thousand bucks up if you do. Mod holds the money until end of next season.

Or set it up online somehow I'm too old to look that shit up. I'll bet you whatever you can afford bro.

Last edited:

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
I like how these wanna be cap guru sofa GMs think they represent all Leaf fans.

In reality… most fans don’t even know how much each player makes.

MLSE didn’t sign JT thinking they’d drop him before the contract is done.

They knew what they were getting and both sides expect each to fulfill the contract.

The real question is… what does Tavares and MLSE do after next season?

I’m guessing JT signs for a significant discount to retire a Toronto Maple Leaf.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Nhl contracted players who can make more money elsewhere and/or don't appreciate their given roll on a team mutual terminate contracts ALL THE TIME every single year... it's not some rare thing or frowned upon by the NHLPA or the league.

So why wouldn't Tavares want out, given he can make more by leaving (post- final signing bonus via mutual contract termination)?.. business is business... this way all parties win 🏆

It's not like he and the team didn't try ; )

PS it ain't cool when people insinuate I'm an idiot for bringing this particular idea up for discussion, thanks

View attachment 842682
Can you provide examples of these mutual terminations? Only caveat is, it must not be as a direct result of a scandal/substance issue.

This should be easy since it happens...(all caps for effect) ALL THE TIME

Reactions: Racer88

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I like how these wanna be cap guru sofa GMs think they represent all Leaf fans.

In reality… most fans don’t even know how much each player makes.

MLSE didn’t sign JT thinking they’d drop him before the contract is done.

They knew what they were getting and both sides expect each to fulfill the contract.

The real question is… what does Tavares and MLSE do after next season?

I’m guessing JT signs for a significant discount to retire a Toronto Maple Leaf.
Offer him 3 million as a 3rd line centre X 2…….there done

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
Can you provide examples of these mutual terminations? Only caveat is, it must not be as a direct result of a scandal/substance issue.

This should be easy since it happens...(all caps for effect) ALL THE TIME
Lmfao @Larcos_Unal 😆 to be honest, I read your posts and you have some of the worst takes on this site lol... you too @Racer88

I'm not here to educate you my son but I will anyway...

*There's many examples if these transactions every season including this one

Look up $hit for yourself next time before you reply to me so you don't seem so out of touch

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He deserves praise.

He looked absolutely cooked for a while there but he's had a great couple of weeks.

If he can keep this up the rest of the way, it will help.

Statistically, a bit of a disappointment overall, especially at 11M but if he can be good when it matters, that's what we need.

Reactions: aingefan and banks

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
Dm a mod I’ll put a thousand bucks up if you do. Mod holds the money until end of next season.

Or set it up online somehow I'm too old to look that shit up. I'll bet you whatever you can afford bro.
No, this in between you and I... why would I give money to mod? I don't even know anyone or would trust anyone here lol

...end of next season?
I thought you basically said Tavares would 100% be with the Leafs to start the next season? Or was that not you?..

Where do you live by the way? Timmins, Ontario??

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Looking at the big 4 the last 2 playoffs:

Production:

Goals:
Matthews: 9
Tavares: 7
Nylander: 7
Marner: 5

Matthews: 20
Nylander: 17
Tavares: 14

With 18 games played for all, not bad numbers against Vasy/Bob. Considering the difference between Tavares and Nylander is 3 2nd assists, I'm not sure why one guy is held up as a saint and the other decried though.

One guy consumes $7 mil cap while the other consumes $11 mil.

Players $4 mil difference in cap consumption should not be graded as equals when the points are similar. :wg:

Bang for your Cap $ buck is the easy answer to your question.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
No, this in between you and I... why would I give money to mod? I don't even know anyone or would trust anyone here lol

...end of next season?
I thought you basically said Tavares would 100% be with the Leafs to start the next season? Or was that not you?..

Where do you live by the way? Timmins, Ontario??
I live in Alberta. And set it up however you want bro. Tavares will 100% be a Leaf next season at any point you want to put it down for. You're delusional and I'll gladly take your money any method you choose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad