How are you feeling about Tavares these days?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
There are many viable options that have been discussed. Most are unlikely but possible.
I haven’t seen any that don’t involve the player controlling it. IMO, you can’t have a legitimate scenario if it’s dependent on others.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I haven’t seen any that don’t involve the player controlling it. IMO, you can’t have a legitimate scenario if it’s dependent on others.
I agree if you think Tavares would never waive his NMC but if Leafs could make it worth his while, he might.

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
At this point you are just making yourself look silly.
Your “not much different “ example was the team threatening the player with being sent to the minors if they didn’t agree to terminate the contract.

That was your example of mutually agreeing to terminate a contract.

Admit it though… you like the idea.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I agree if you think Tavares would never waive his NMC but if Leafs could make it worth his while, he might.
Can’t imagine anything being worth his while. Biggest motivators are money and family which he has an abundance of here. They could take away playing time but that doesn’t help the team.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Can’t imagine anything being worth his while. Biggest motivators are money and family which he has an abundance of here. They could take away playing time but that doesn’t help the team.
The only realistic scenario is an injury that forces him onto LTIR. That is the Leaf way.

Reactions: ToneDog

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Yep I mentioned that earlier
Even in that scenario, it would need to be career-ending like Muzzin, because I think that is probably the only way the Leafs don't resign Tavares. I expect that he will take a significant discount to stay here when his current deal ends.

Reactions: ACC1224

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
you sit him down , explain to him he won't be offered an extension and that he'll be playing limited minutes as a 3rd line winger without time on the 1st pp and we'll see how much he wants to come back

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
you sit him down , explain to him he won't be offered an extension and that he'll be playing limited minutes as a 3rd line winger without time on the 1st pp and we'll see how much he wants to come back
He’s already settling into that role, doubt that would be a motivator. Would he get anything more than that elsewhere?

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
MLSE aren't going to get ruthless and do whatever it takes to move on from Tavares this summer, we are not Vegas. We'll eat the 11m for another season, it is what it is.

It's imperative he is our 3C next season though, need an upgrade at 2C, it's too much of an ask for JT over 82 games.

LeafsStorm

Oct 22, 2011
It's an 11M handcuff at this point. Love the guy, but should've been a few less years on that contract and unfortunately he is not aging well.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
He’s already settling into that role, doubt that would be a motivator. Would he get anything more than that elsewhere?
i also said he'd get limited mins 12-13 instead of the 16/17 mins a game he's getting now

and while we can't force him to waive it's still up to the team if they want to offer him an extension so if they don't then JT will still have to leave if he doesn't want to retire

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I don't mind Tavares if he's not making 11M.

He's not a bad player. Good at faceoffs and can still make passes/cycle the puck. He's still a good 2C in this league. He's just not an 11M player. If he was making half that, 5.5M, I wouldn't mind it at all.
Well get ready, because that's likely his next deal from the Leafs... 3 x $5 million or so.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Aside from the fact it's almost certainly not going to happen regardless for a number of reasons.

To move an 11 mil JT, you'd have to retain salary, which defeats the purpose of trading him, or else take back a lot of salary.

It's just easier to ride out his final year even if he's closer to a 60 point second liner than a 1C at this stage in his career

Reactions: meefer

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Well get ready, because that's likely his next deal from the Leafs... 3 x $5 million or so.
Maybe even a bit less. He's not taking something silly like $1 or $2 million per year, but I could see a scenario where he does a one or two year deal at $4 million just for the sake of staying in town. He will retire as a Leaf.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The only way Tavares isn’t on the books next year is if he sustains a career ending injury. That’s it, there are no other legitimate scenarios.
I could see a 'mutually agreed termination' before July 1 (thus avoiding the bonus payout and cap hit), and then him signing on as a coach for something like 2M per year for multiple years.

Nothing else makes sense to me - that or he plays here next year.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
MLSE aren't going to get ruthless and do whatever it takes to move on from Tavares this summer, we are not Vegas. We'll eat the 11m for another season, it is what it is.

It's imperative he is our 3C next season though, need an upgrade at 2C, it's too much of an ask for JT over 82 games.
There is no getting ruthless, it doesn’t exist in this scenario.
i also said he'd get limited mins 12-13 instead of the 16/17 mins a game he's getting now

and while we can't force him to waive it's still up to the team if they want to offer him an extension so if they don't then JT will still have to leave if he doesn't want to retire
For sure not extending him is something the team can control. That still leaves him on the team next season.

Can’t see them moving on though as long as he takes a reasonable deal.

I could see a 'mutually agreed termination' before July 1 (thus avoiding the bonus payout and cap hit), and then him signing on as a coach for something like 2M per year for multiple years.

Nothing else makes sense to me - that or he plays here next year.
Why would the player want to do that?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Can’t see them moving on though as long as he takes a reasonable deal.
if they want to re-sign him the question then becomes what is a reasonable deal from the 25/26 season onward as well as what role can he play on what should still be a contending team

for me he'll probably be a softer version of Perry who's been playing minimal mins on the 3rd/4th line the last few seasons

so basically all i'd go is sub 2m on 1yr deals

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
if they want to re-sign him the question then becomes what is a reasonable deal from the 25/26 season onward as well as what role can he play on what should still be a contending team

for me he'll probably be a softer version of Perry who's been playing minimal mins on the 3rd/4th line the last few seasons

so basically all i'd go is sub 2m on 1yr deals
He'd have to be a 30 point player next year to sign for that little, similar to Spezza.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The narrative of JT will change if he wins the Conn Smythe.

Honestly, I think he will sign a contract similar to ROR with the Preds. Maybe less as he wants to win with the Leafs.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
He'd have to be a 30 point player next year to sign for that little, similar to Spezza.
take away his points from Willie's hot start and he isn't producing much more and Spezza would have had more points in the same role we're giving JT

it's also much more than just leeching points off our elite core or hanging around the other teams D cheery picking . it's about how big a liability he is at even strength

Last edited:
Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
Hypothetical.
Crosby wants to play for a contender.
Tavares is told he will not get many minutes next year or pp time and that he will be a hero in this town if he waives.
Then add a first and do the deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad