How are you feeling about Tavares these days?

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
He'll always get his points but now that the leafs have committed long term to Willy, I would prefer a center who compliments his game.

Reactions: ToneDog

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Da real JT will come to light once playoff pucks drops and most of you guys are gonna be shocked how he can't keep up .. outside of Sammy's mental health this is biggest worry .. Keefer can't keep throwing him out if his line is getting crushed due to his footspeed .. to me i would have moved him to LW this year but keep taking faceoffs .. now all we can really do is shift Mitch to C and have JT take Mitch spot on da wall after faceoffs .. not even sure Keefer can assess things well in game either which is a coaching problem

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Da real JT will come to light once playoff pucks drops and most of you guys are gonna be shocked how he can't keep up .. outside of Sammy's mental health this is biggest worry .. Keefer can't keep throwing him out if his line is getting crushed due to his footspeed .. to me i would have moved him to LW this year but keep taking faceoffs .. now all we can really do is shift Mitch to C and have JT take Mitch spot on da wall after faceoffs .. not even sure Keefer can assess things well in game either which is a coaching problem
After 34, C is thin, especially if you move 91 to the wing. Holmberg as #3C will be in tough. Kampf has been more bad than good.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I notice Tavares is getting his cookies while Matthews is on his 70 goal hunt. If Matthews line can take some checking heat and they could always use Tavares and Marner and Nylander on a loaded up 2 Line where they can feast. Or maybe they ask Tavares to be a Shayne Corson and just try shadow duty while Marner and Nylander are on a third unit ready to feast like Hagelin Kessel and the other guy back when Pittsburgh was winning. Not sure Tavares can be a matchup center though.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I notice Tavares is getting his cookies while Matthews is on his 70 goal hunt. If Matthews line can take some checking heat and they could always use Tavares and Marner and Nylander on a loaded up 2 Line where they can feast. Or maybe they ask Tavares to be a Shayne Corson and just try shadow duty while Marner and Nylander are on a third unit ready to feast like Hagelin Kessel and the other guy back when Pittsburgh was winning. Not sure Tavares can be a matchup center though.
2019-2021 Marner and Tavares played 138 playoff mins together. 5vs5 they scored 3 goals and allowed 8 against according to natural stat trick. In 58 mins from 2022 until 2023, they scored 4 and allowed 2, but they allowed 10 more scoring chances against then they produced, they had corsi in the low 40,'s, same with fenwick. Expected goals for was 2.9, while expected goals against was 3.3 They also got a save percentage of 95% while they were on the ice, which was the highest among forwards.

Overall it appears Tavares and Marner have basically been generally bad in the playoffs together.

Tavares and Nylander 5vs5 have been moderately better in most statistics but still outscored.

Maybe Marner, Tavares and Nylander would be a good experiment. However I'd prefer to see an extended look of it in the season, before trialing it in a 7 games playoff series.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Interesting stat with Tavares is that he actually has produced the exact same amount of 5v5 goals and points as last year (15 goals 21 assist last year vs 14 goals and 20 this year). He just has produced substantially less on the pp. I personally haven't liked his usage on the pp, I think we should be utilizing his quick release more and setting him up for it. I guess that another curse of having too many expensive forwards and no quality shooting defenders.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Interesting stat with Tavares is that he actually has produced the exact same amount of 5v5 goals and points as last year (15 goals 21 assist last year vs 14 goals and 20 this year). He just has produced substantially less on the pp. I personally haven't liked his usage on the pp, I think we should be utilizing his quick release more and setting him up for it. I guess that another curse of having too many expensive forwards and no quality shooting defenders.
Either year, though, his 5v5 scoring is pretty weak. He’s 8th among Leafs forwards in 5v5 points per 60 mins, and very close to 9th: NHL Stats

He’s producing like a 3rd liner at even strength, which is obviously not what you want from a guy making $11 mil AAV.

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
Tavares is better than every forward on Boston's roster other than Pastrnk and Marchand. And Marchand tends to make a fool of himself and be a sideshow.

Tavares will make a difference in this series coming up. He'll make the Bruins lack of C depth look even worse.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Tavares is better than every forward on Boston's roster other than Pastrnk and Marchand. And Marchand tends to make a fool of himself and be a sideshow.

Tavares will make a difference in this series coming up. He'll make the Bruins lack of C depth look even worse.

I'd take Coyle and Zacha individually over JT easily. You could even have both for less.

klmdg

Feb 18, 2016
No matter how shit the captain is, his threads always migrate off the 1st page quick

Only impact he's made the whole series was off a broken play where he was alone in the slot with the puck for 20 minutes

It boggles my mind that he's only 33

O'Reilly is the same age, an even slower skater, but he still leads by example and makes plays every game

klmdg

Feb 18, 2016
We can't trade him unless we want to give up crazy assets AND he's willing to waive.

Our only options are really waiting this out next season or getting him on the LTIR somehow.

Anyone got one of them equipment allergies floating around?
He's not going anywhere as long as Shanahan is here

JT's uncle is tight with the Shanahans, especially Brendan's brother whom he won several Mann Cups with

I can't see any way that Shanahan would ask him to waive, especially with 1 year left on the deal

Reactions: TMLife17

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
If top to bottom changes are made, I feel he should be on LTIR some way, somehow.. Can't give up the assets it would take to get rid of him.

Can threaten him with gardening leave if he doesn't co-operate. Normally you would never operate this way but this is his final year and he's delivered nothing. He should look for a spot he can win a title in a depth role, where he's counted on very little and whatever he delivers is a bonus..

Sad, sad end and one I didn't want. I was excited to have him as a Leaf.. very much so.

Reactions: TMLife17 and klmdg

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
He is not going to waive.
Just put him on the 3rd line with two guys who play a simple North South game and he is fine.
Calle and Robbie or Robbie and Knies or Calle and McMann.
But he needs to work on his faceoffs. Don’t throw his season stats at me as he is horrible at the dot in the playoffs.

Reactions: Gallagbi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad