How are you feeling about Tavares these days?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
not going to waste anymore of my time you can try and justify your stance all you want it's clearly false and any coach Tavares has played under would tell you something completely different, that's not someone who gets named a captain of two different NHL teams. but good luck to you.
as i said , if you take a look at how he plays in the next couple of games objectively you'll see exactly what i'm telling you

and he was named Captain in NY because he was first overall pick they were promoting and here because AM dropped his pants , it sure as hell wasn't for his magnetic personality , lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Racer88

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
your probably right about them discussing a contract but i seriously doubt his wife who i think is a physio therapist is working or will ever work again

also Hymans wife's a lawyer and he moved to Edm without a second thought even though they're both from Toronto

this home town stuff is seriously overplayed

The difference is Hyman chased the coin.

Tavares won't be chasing a retirement deal, he's already lived one.

I think your position on "his wife" is perhaps based on making ends meet, rather than her professional career. Money at this point wouldn't be the destination. Without knowing them personally, many medical professionals work long after they have any need for money.

Reactions: Menzinger

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
didn't realize you took a poll with the entire NHL about how they view JT

i didn't take a poll like you did but i can guarantee you his former teammates are thrilled he isn't on the team , not because he's a bad guy but who wants to endlessly listen to how the entire team is crap and dragging poor Johnny down and it's been that way his entire career since jr

the islanders improved because they did have quality players on the team when Johnny was there but they added a great coach who taught them to play defensively sound and they didn't have to revolve the team around a stat pader

Again with the stat padder stuff. Did you even watch Isles games back then. It was literally to see if Tavares could somehow will his team to victory much of the time. Prime Tavares was a monster out there. Have you ever heard a bad word about JT's standing ever? The guy takes criticism as good as anyone and is a total pro.

....and please tell me again how his game is entirely tailored to give him points again?

I'll get you started:

pepe_silvia_meme_banner.jpg

The Isles did get some great players but the team was badly mismanaged and even the great goaltending they got couldnt hold the team up.

Vezina voting rankings for isles goalies the last 5 years:
2019: 3rd
2020: No Vezina votes but one of the best tandems in hockey who put up a .920+ in the playoffs.
2021: 5th
2022: 6th
2023: 2nd

Damn, almost most snagged a Vezina due to Trotz great coaching there in 2023....oops, Trotz was fired after the team missed the playoffs in 2022. My bad.

Built on goaltending and not all that expensive either and I'm a little jealous. Meanwhile, we roll with the Campbells of the world and you wonder went wrong? Just watch all the ten bell saves Varly, Lehner, Srokin, etc.. made on a routine basis and then think back to when we even had close to that in the playoffs. Friggin Sundin was still captain back then.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Again with the stat padder stuff. Did you even watch Isles games back then. It was literally to see if Tavares could somehow will his team to victory much of the time. Prime Tavares was a monster out there. Have you ever heard a bad word about JT's standing ever? The guy takes criticism as good as anyone and is a total pro.

....and please tell me again how his game is entirely tailored to give him points again?

I'll get you started:

pepe_silvia_meme_banner.jpg

The Isles did get some great players but the team was badly mismanaged and even the great goaltending they got couldnt hold the team up.

Vezina voting rankings for isles goalies the last 5 years:
2019: 3rd
2020: No Vezina votes but one of the best tandems in hockey who put up a .920+ in the playoffs.
2021: 5th
2022: 6th
2023: 2nd

Damn, almost most snagged a Vezina due to Trotz great coaching there in 2023....oops, Trotz was fired after the team missed the playoffs in 2022. My bad.

Built on goaltending and not all that expensive either and I'm a little jealous. Meanwhile, we roll with the Campbells of the world and you wonder went wrong? Just watch all the ten bell saves Varly, Lehner, Srokin, etc.. made on a routine basis and then think back to when we even had close to that in the playoffs. Friggin Sundin was still captain back then.
it's obvious you never watched JT outside of highlights when he was in New York

JT played high in his zone and was always walking back hoping to be fed off a turnover , he played like that in jr as well as when i watched him playing against my nephew in minor hockey .

His wingers were mostly tasked with covering for Johnny defensively as well as dropping down in the d zone wile he played high on the wall which was tried here as well with Kerfoot and i forget the there player i remember Keefe trying that with .

but hey , you do you and keep blaming our goalies for all our woes in the playoffs if it makes you feel better

also the only season Trotz missed the playoffs was when they started the season on a very long road trip waiting for there new arena to be finished which they started out fine but then covid ripped through the team and they were playing very short handed which put them in a hole they couldn't dig there way out of , unlike many other teams who benefitted from the NHL shutting down instead of them playing short .

this is the NHL , you almost never here players bad mouthing each other but i believe it was Patrick O'Sullivan that said JT was a selfish player who only played for himself , i'm guessing however he doesn't count , maybe you should take another poll with NHL players

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The difference is Hyman chased the coin.

Tavares won't be chasing a retirement deal, he's already lived one.

I think your position on "his wife" is perhaps based on making ends meet, rather than her professional career. Money at this point wouldn't be the destination. Without knowing them personally, many medical professionals work long after they have any need for money.
true Hyman chased the money but his wife also had to start over with her career as a lawyer which i only raised because people keep bringing up JT's wife

also lets stop making JTs wife out to be a surgeon or something close to it , i'm pretty sure i read she's a physio therapist which can make for a very good living but hardly something that's not easily walked away from to raise her 3 small children

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018

JT played high in his zone and was always walking back hoping to be fed off a turnover , he played like that in jr as well as when i watched him playing against my nephew in minor hockey .

His wingers were mostly tasked with covering for Johnny defensively as well as dropping down in the d zone wile he played high on the wall which was tried here as well with Kerfoot and i forget the there player i remember Keefe trying that with .

but hey , you do you and keep blaming our goalies for all our woes in the playoffs if it makes you feel better

also the only season Trotz missed the playoffs was when they started the season on a very long road trip waiting for there new arena to be finished which they started out fine but then covid ripped through the team and they were playing very short handed which put them in a hole they couldn't dig there way out of , unlike many other teams who benefitted from the NHL shutting down instead of them playing short .

this is the NHL , you almost never here players bad mouthing each other but i believe it was Patrick O'Sullivan that said JT was a selfish player who only played for himself , i'm guessing however he doesn't count , maybe you should take another poll with NHL players
Listen to yourself, posting as if you actually watch Islander games like an Islander fan… talking like you practically coached Tavares.

Dude, you know nothing about John Tavares’ time in New York.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Listen to yourself, posting as if you actually watch Islander games like an Islander fan… talking like you practically coached Tavares.

Dude, you know nothing about John Tavares’ time in New York.
if you say so

now will you finally answer my question about why a person who barely posts is living in the JT thread ?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
true Hyman chased the money but his wife also had to start over with her career as a lawyer which i only raised because people keep bringing up JT's wife

also lets stop making JTs wife out to be a surgeon or something close to it , i'm pretty sure i read she's a physio therapist which can make for a very good living but hardly something that's not easily walked away from to raise her 3 small children

I just looked at the calendar ... 2024.
Why are you suggesting she raise her 3 small children though?

I don't know, maybe just my career path ... I worked in a profession where (other than my several years in the military) there were no sex barriers. Even in the military, gender doesn't determine authority.

Reactions: danny90

drede

Jul 13, 2023
He's been playing well if it wasn't for the contract no one would complain. Im hoping they well resign him hopefully for around what RoR deal is or something fairly close or he can walk in my opinion.

He's still near point per game just overpaid by a few million which free agency always happens

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

An offensive stud who was given defensive/two way wingers to carry the load there?

That only happens all the time.....and if your lucky, the good defensive winger could turn out to be a scoring stud as well. (Gretz and Kurri for example).

...and I'm not just calling out our goalteeding but that combined with the fact we run into hot Vezina winners year after year. Would be nice if we had the goalkeeping to counter that instead of trying to be one of those rare teams that wins a cup without stud goalkeeping.

The Isles also got saved by the Covid break as they were one if the worst teams down the stretch and we're crashing out of the playoffs with the alisles board calling for the heads of coaches and managment. The break helped them more than any team in hockey.

..and sure, you won't find many players commenting on other players and we will probably hear more on Tavares from ex teammates/rivals years from now but the only guy who I've ever heard talk frankly about Tavares is Subban calling him maybe the smartest player he's ever played with/against. I suppose their lifelong friendship cancels that out too though. Every other thing I've heard about him has been positive aside from the fact he's maybe a too quiet pro who tries to lead by example and not fired up like some seem to want from a captain.

One thing that Subban said on the past did strike me though. He described Tavares as one of those rare players that puts up production so quietly you don't realize what he has done....like the fact he sits 4th and 6th for goals and points in the NHL over the last 15 years (and may finish 3rd and 5th for those based on how the year closes out).

I would just hold back on slandering his character for now. The guy just got called out, and took the mic and owned it the other day. That doesn't fit the picture you are painting.

You are starting to sound like a bitter Islanders fan for some reason. It's more fun to be a bitter Leafs fan with far more reasons heh.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
you must be related to him or a close friend

the fact is he didn't have good game last , his goal was totally created by Willie who made a great play at our blueline to get the puck out then drew 3 Sabre to him in their zone before he fed JT in the slot who had all day to get off his shot , great that he scored but he really didn't anything else
Someone actually gets it!!

Reactions: hotpaws

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

the fact is he didn't have good game last , his goal was totally created by Willie who made a great play at our blueline to get the puck out then drew 3 Sabre to him in their zone before he fed JT in the slot who had all day to get off his shot , great that he scored but he really didn't anything else

To a point, I agree with this.

However, getting to pass to Tavares in the slot is a lot better than passing to Domi or Bertuzzi.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I just looked at the calendar ... 2024.
Why are you suggesting she raise her 3 small children though?

I don't know, maybe just my career path ... I worked in a profession where (other than my several years in the military) there were no sex barriers. Even in the military, gender doesn't determine authority.
are you really trying to suggest my point is sexist ?

her husband or should we go with her partner makes 11m per yr and travels extensively for his work so i'm assuming which you could say i shouldn't if you like but i will and i believe she chooses to stay at home to raise their 3 small children with whatever help she may choose since they don't need the extra income

you can choose to believe she still works and i'll respect your opinion

i will add that i thank you for serving in the military

I come to this thread to be entertained with your constant Tavares whining and complaining.
that doesn't explain why a person who barely posts to constantly post in this thread

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
I don’t care about what Tavares did with the islanders.
What i see here is a guy who is slow, clumsy, can’t create anything on his own, but has a hard wrist shot if he can get it off.
My prediction is that he will be here next year and then ,if they want him, he will sign a giordano contract.

Reactions: hotpaws

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
To a point, I agree with this.

However, getting to pass to Tavares in the slot is a lot better than passing to Domi or Bertuzzi.
you feed Domi on a breakaway and chances are he looks for someone to pass too , lol

Domi has a nice shot , no idea why he won't shoot more

danny90

Nov 27, 2019

the fact is he didn't have good game last , his goal was totally created by Willie who made a great play at our blueline to get the puck out then drew 3 Sabre to him in their zone before he fed JT in the slot who had all day to get off his shot , great that he scored but he really didn't do anything else
All JT had to do was the hardest thing to do in hockey! Something that only happens 14 percent of shots if you’re lucky!

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
are you really trying to suggest my point is sexist ?

her husband or should we go with her partner makes 11m per yr and travels extensively for his work so i'm assuming which you could say i shouldn't if you like but i will and i believe she chooses to stay at home to raise their 3 small children with whatever help she may choose since they don't need the extra income

you can choose to believe she still works and i'll respect your opinion

i will add that i thank you for serving in the military
Thanks.

It comes across that way to me.

It isn't as if either needs to work.

Maybe John should have retired to take care of the kids. All the money in the world will not get back those lost years.

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
as i said , if you take a look at how he plays in the next couple of games objectively you'll see exactly what i'm telling you

and he was named Captain in NY because he was first overall pick they were promoting and here because AM dropped his pants , it as hel wasn't for his magnetic personality , lol
This is exactly the kind of post I’m talking about… almost seems like wishing JT doesn’t play well so you can come back to gloat.

I hope he scores the game winner tomorrow… just so I can see you come back here and whine about his back to back game winners.

As for Captain Tavares… which, I suspect you loathe.

I’m not the only one to notice the maturity in Auston over the last 5 years… he’s grown into an outstanding spokesperson for both the Leafs and the NHL.

5 years ago, he was a short answer kid with a kinda attitude about having to even answer questions (Mitch is still like that a bit).

Sure, Mo would have been good… however, ya gotta go with what’s proven… outside of yourself, most people are not bashing John Tavares. He’s highly regarded throughout the whole NHL and Team Canada.

Hope he scores some huge goals in the playoffs this year for us.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
These past 2 games he has been great. That's what we have to have in the playoffs.
he's been playing no differently the last 2 games than he plays when he isn't producing , the only difference is Mitch is a better playmaker than Willie and he scored a couple of goals against NJ Allen should have easily stopped

Reactions: hamzarocks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad