How are you feeling about Tavares these days?

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Your “not much different “ example was the team threatening the player with being sent to the minors if they didn’t agree to terminate the contract.

That was your example of mutually agreeing to terminate a contract.

Admit it though… you like the idea.

I figured out what the problem is.

It's not reading comprehension you struggle with. It's reading, period. I didn't say "it's not much different than the Tavares situation" like you think I did.

I said "I don't think that's much different than what is being suggested with the Tavares contract here".

As in a mutually agreed termination of the contract. The situational circumstances behind it are irrelevant. The fact Zadina was being threatened with demotion to the minors is merely coincidence.

And no, I don't like the idea of paying someone $11M to play for another team.

That would mean Tavares will have earned an average of $12.83M a year to play here. I already thought he was overpaid at his current rate. It would also cost even more assets in the way of futures to unload him.

Paying Tavares to go away only sounds like a good idea.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
if they want to re-sign him the question then becomes what is a reasonable deal from the 25/26 season onward as well as what role can he play on what should still be a contending team

for me he'll probably be a softer version of Perry who's been playing minimal mins on the 3rd/4th line the last few seasons

so basically all i'd go is sub 2m on 1yr deals
I could see something like 3.5 x 3.

Reactions: Evilhomer

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Why would the player want to do that?
If he feels like he's not able to contribute enough, for whatever reason - slowing down, injuries, less ice time, even just not enjoying it. If the team offers him a 7-year contract as a coach at $2M per, he might go for it.

I'm not thinking of it as a way to force him out, but just as the only plausible situation. Obviously up to him.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
5v5 numbers for the core 4 playing away from each other this season:

Tavares when not playing with Nylander or Marner:
Ozone faceoff% 58.68
Shot differential: 53.43
High danger chance differential: 58.23
xGF%: 56.93
Goal differential: 63.08

Nylander when not playing with Matthews or Tavares:
Ozone faceoff% 62.75
Shot differential: 46.78
High danger chance differential: 31.86
xGF%: 33.51
Goal differential: 43.90

Matthews when not playing with Nylander or Marner:
Ozone faceoff% 55.29
Shot differential: 56.25
High danger chance differential: 61.16
xGF%: 51.66
Goal differential: 60.09

Marner when not playing with Matthews or Tavares:
Ozone faceoff% 44.44
Shot differential: 34.98
High danger chance differential: 35.54
xGF%: 34.56
Goal differential: 55.28

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If he feels like he's not able to contribute enough, for whatever reason - slowing down, injuries, less ice time, even just not enjoying it. If the team offers him a 7-year contract as a coach at $2M per, he might go for it.

I'm not thinking of it as a way to force him out, but just as the only plausible situation. Obviously up to him.
I guess you could do it that way but I think we need to move on with Captain Matthews. Player rarely turn over the C to the next guy.

Reactions: arso40

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I could see something like 3.5 x 3.
i just hope if they want to re-sign him they wait until the end of next season

Tavares has a young family, is from here, and is surrounded by his family.

He’s also Captain.

He has already made a buttload of money and knows where he is in his career.

He will sign a team friendly deal and retire a Leaf.

I see him signing for between $3-$4m.
if he slows down anymore then 3-4m will not be a team friendly deal , it'll be another gross overpayment

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I guess you could do it that way but I think we need to move on with Captain Matthews. Player rarely turn over the C to the next guy.
The team can't "do it that way", and that's not what I'm saying. JT could do that if JT wants to do that. If he wants to be here next year, he will be.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
He is going to have to take a significant pay cut. We can't have our third line centre making 11 million and on top of that his defense has been terrible.

I miss the days where you could send veteran players to the minors, to light a fire.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
He is going to have to take a significant pay cut. We can't have our third line centre making 11 million and on top of that his defense has been terrible.

I miss the days where you could send veteran players to the minors, to light a fire.
They still can, but not in this case because Dubas gave JT an NMC.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
9G, 9A, +6, last 20 games. Maybe not quite as dire as some are suggesting? We get it, not a great start through Jan. for JT. But, he's played pretty well the last little while.

You could even expand it to:

Start of the season to Jan. 8th:
GP: 37
Goals: 12
5v5 xGF%: 55.89
5v5 GF%: 55.09

Jan. 9th to Jan. 25th:
GP: 9
Goals: 0
5v5 xGF%: 54.46
5v5 GF%: 48.66

Jan. 26th - Today:
GP: 25
5v5 xGF%: 55.90
5v5 GF%: 62.34

Yea, it was a little odd to see Mr. consistency have a mid season production slump like that but it's also not surprising he pulled out of it considering his underlying numbers were still great and even his goal differential stayed near 50% meaning he was still contributing 5v5. He and his linemate Bertuzzi both being cold with their finishing at the same time really hurt.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
You could even expand it to:

Start of the season to Jan. 8th:
GP: 37
5v5 xGF%: 55.89
5v5 GF%: 55.09

Jan. 9th to Jan. 25th:
GP: 9
Goals: 0
5v5 xGF%: 54.46
5v5 GF%: 48.66

Jan. 26th - Today:
GP: 25
5v5 xGF%: 55.90
5v5 GF%: 62.34

Yea, it was a little odd to see Mr. consistency have a mid season production slump like that but it's also not surprising he pulled out of it considering his underlying numbers were still great and even his goal differential stayed near 50% meaning he was still contributing 5v5. He and his linemate Bertuzzi both being cold with their finishing at the same time really hurt.
Thanks, a much better breakdown of his effectiveness than I offered. It's almost like he isn't a washed up bum. Of course I'm not suggesting that JT is playing at superstar levels, nor do I think you are, but if you take away that 9 game stretch, JT has played 62 games while netting 58 points, pretty much his career avg/game (.935) while shooting 3% lower than his career avg.

As a 2C, if he can maintain his Jan 26th - Today's pace, we're doing well. He doesn't have to be Matthews good, 56%/62% will do just fine.

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
That uneasy feeling… Sammy riding the shutout… but, that means you have to recognize the Tavares goal as the actual game winner.

How miserable that feeling must be… when you’re hoping to run the guy outta town.

and there JT is… scoring game winning goals.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
That uneasy feeling… Sammy riding the shutout… but, that means you have to recognize the Tavares goal as the actual game winner.

How miserable that feeling must be… when you’re hoping to run the guy outta town.

you must be related to him or a close friend

the fact is he didn't have good game last , his goal was totally created by Willie who made a great play at our blueline to get the puck out then drew 3 Sabre to him in their zone before he fed JT in the slot who had all day to get off his shot , great that he scored but he really didn't do anything else

Last edited:

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

Yup, and that's his 6th of the year and 74th of his career tying him with Mario and Patrick Kane on the all time list.

I expect more fun in the feverdream of a thread calling for him to be exorcized from the team as he's running close to a 40 goal, 80 point pace over his last 25 games with good D numbers and maintaining as a top 10 in the NHL faceoff guy lol.

Reactions: WillyC

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Yup, and that's his 6th of the year and 74th of his career tying him with Mario and Patrick Kane on the all time list.

I expect more fun in the feverdream of a thread calling for him to be exorcized from the team as he's running close to a 40 goal, 80 point pace over his last 25 games with good D numbers and maintaining as a top 10 in the NHL faceoff guy lol.
wow , you've seemed to make fluffing JT your full time job

maybe since your an expert on him you can explain why he's had so little individual or team success in the playoffs , that's when he's made them since the Islanders kept letting Johnny down when he was there

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
you must be related to him or a close friend

the fact is he didn't have good game last , his goal was totally created by Willie who made a great play at our blueline to get the puck out then drew 3 Sabre to him in their zone before he fed JT in the slot who had all day to get off his shot , great that he scored but he really didn't anything else

maybe since your an expert on him you can explain why he's had so little individual or team success in the playoffs , that's when he's made them since the Islanders kept letting Johnny down when he was there
You really do come across as obsessed with bashing JT.

Sort of like an angry glass is half empty kinda guy.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
You really do come across as obsessed with bashing JT.

Sort of like an angry glass is half empty kinda guy.
I guess that's the way with it would seem to a family member or close friend of his of his like you but maybe instead of bashing me you can respond to my post .

also instead of deflecting maybe you can explain what else he did last night other than scoring on a great set up by Willie

all i see is JT being totally reliant on his linemates to generate offensive chances for him or floating behind the D looking to be fed for a scoring opportunity

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Tavares is no weakling like Spezza or Thornton either. He's actually going to be an elite bottom 6 C in those 34+ years instead of a they-need-maintenance bottom 6 grandpa. It's a must to keep him a Leaf until he decides to retire.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Tavares has a young family, is from here, and is surrounded by his family.

He’s also Captain.

He has already made a buttload of money and knows where he is in his career.

He will sign a team friendly deal and retire a Leaf.

I see him signing for between $3-$4m.
If JT signs for between $3-$4m, that would be a steal of a deal based on the way he's playing now. Here's hoping!

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

What are you going on about?

I'm not calling to be an expert on anything and am happy JT is playing so well down the stretch and you should be too. Since you seem to be resorting to ad homs at this point ("fluffing", "related to him"), I'm hoping it's the last stages of denial that you and many others were wrong that he was somehow washed. I don't have to "fluff" for a guy who is putting up great numbers. The onus is on you and others to man up and admit you were wrong about him.

As far as his prime with the Islanders is concerned, yea, the Isles absolutely let him and their fanbase down by surrounding him with crap for his time there. He still managed to carry them and himself to some decent results considering. No one denies they did an awful job during this time which includes Tavares nearly winning a Hart against prime Ovi and Crosby in the closest vote in history despite having next to no support.

I mean, it's hard not to cheer for a star who chose to come play here and has been nothing but class his entire run with us. I'm not going to forget him willing that series winning goal last year and I hope he carries his excellent play into the playoffs and does it 4 more times. I hope youre on board but you first have to at least admit he's playing well. His chemistry with McMann has been incredible and Willy is the perfect compliment to the line as they are defensively responsible enough cover for Willys lack of D (although Nylander has made some strides in that area this season). Willy needs to play with either Matthews or Tavares as he has been one of the worst stars in the league when it comes to driving their own line.

Current Athletic ranking for Tavares on the year:

Offensive rating: 91st percentile
Defensive rating: 85th percentile

Market value: 9.9 million

Gonna end up with a 30 goal, 70 pointish 2C with great D numbers against decent QoC and top 10 in the NHL for faceoffs. What kind of 50 IQ take is it to say we would want to get rid of that next season? You would never replace it with any confidence. What kind of 20 IQ take is it to say he's washed up?

I hope he tears it up the rest of the way and gets close to that 11 million mark so I can watch people lose their crap because thats what I expect. We are in the age that no one can admit their wrong no matter how glaring it might be. I thought Knies would blossom more in a first line role and was wrong. I thought Samsonov was cooked and he obviously isnt. I thought Brodie was just having a bad stretch but he might in fact be cooked. I can name countless other things. The easiest bet for me was that Tavares would bounce back from a slump. He's a future HOF stud. Of course he was going to.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
What are you going on about?

I'm not calling to be an expert on anything and am happy JT is playing so well down the stretch and you should be too. Since you seem to be resorting to ad homs at this point ("fluffing", "related to him"), I'm hoping it's the last stages of denial that you and many others were wrong that he was somehow washed. I don't have to "fluff" for a guy who is putting up great numbers. The onus is on you and others to man up and admit you were wrong about him.

As far as his prime with the Islanders is concerned, yea, the Isles absolutely let him and their fanbase down by surrounding him with crap for his time there. He still managed to carry them and himself to some decent results considering. No one denies they did an awful job during this time which includes Tavares nearly winning a Hart against prime Ovi and Crosby in the closest vote in history despite having next to no support.

I mean, it's hard not to cheer for a star who chose to come play here and has been nothing but class his entire run with us. I'm not going to forget him willing that series winning goal last year and I hope he carries his excellent play into the playoffs and does it 4 more times. I hope youre on board but you first have to at least admit he's playing well. His chemistry with McMann has been incredible and Willy is the perfect compliment to the line as they are defensively responsible enough cover for Willys lack of D (although Nylander has made some strides in that area this season). Willy needs to play with either Matthews or Tavares as he has been one of the worst stars in the league when it comes to driving their own line.

Current Athletic ranking for Tavares on the year:

Offensive rating: 91st percentile
Defensive rating: 85th percentile

Market value: 9.9 million

Gonna end up with a 30 goal, 70 pointish 2C with great D numbers against decent QoC and top 10 in the NHL for faceoffs. What kind of 50 IQ take is it to say we would want to get rid of that next season? You would never replace it with any confidence. What kind of 20 IQ take is it to say he's washed up?

I hope he tears it up the rest of the way and gets close to that 11 million mark so I can watch people lose their crap because thats what I expect. We are in the age that no one can admit their wrong no matter how glaring it might be. I thought Knies would blossom more in a first line role and was wrong. I thought Samsonov was cooked and he obviously isnt. I thought Brodie was just having a bad stretch but he might in fact be cooked. I can name countless other things. The easiest bet for me was that Tavares would bounce back from a slump. He's a future HOF stud. Of course he was going to.
wow nice very log winded reply but what does that have to do with my post ?

-you didn't explain why JT has been mediocre to bad in the playoffs for entire career the lucky bounce off a foot notwithstanding

-you also forgot to mention how those useless slugs instantly improved the second JT left and had the most success the organization has had since there cup dynasty teams in the early 80's

and Willie's the complimentary player on that line ? lol , without Willie , all you'd see is JT constantly turning over the puck as he tries to make a play

also no one outside of you a few others gives a damn about the garbage you endlessly keep regurgitating from the Athletic , JT worth 9.9m , lol you'd think you had more common sense than to post crap like that

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad