TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Loved Thomas Vanek in his prime.

Problem is he faded rather quickly in his late 20's.

1689002998353.png

The thing about players like Vanek, whose primary skill in the NHL was scoring goals, is that they hit their peak far earlier in their career than most people realize . That prime is usually around the ages of 24, 25 and 26. Many of them remain productive players into their late 20s and early-to-mid 30s. They just are not as productive as they once were.

But for some of them, the ones whose biggest and perhaps most valuable contribution is their ability to score goals, once they lose just a fraction of the ability that made them so successful -- losing a little bit off of their shot, losing some of the quickness that allowed them to get to the open spot in the offensive zone, etc. -- they can have a tendency to completely fall off a cliff in terms of their production once they hit the latter stages of their career.

Thomas was one of them.

Dany Heatley was another in that category...

Attachments

• 1689003007178.png
    1689003007178.png
    82.5 KB · Views: 1

fingerpainter

Dec 20, 2018
Random - but anyone remember that thing they had at the Aud (and even HSBC I think) after the season ended - there was an event where you could meet all the players and get their autographs.

Forgot what it was called. But it was amazing. I went for a number of years.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Random - but anyone remember that thing they had at the Aud (and even HSBC I think) after the season ended - there was an event where you could meet all the players and get their autographs.

I remember they used to do the Sabres carnival where you could meet some of the players. Maybe that is what you are thinking of.

One year after a bunch of players on the Hartford Whalers got arrested in Buffalo they did some of their community service there. I remember meeting some of them, but forgot who the players were. I want to say Pronger was one of them.

Reactions: fingerpainter

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC

I thought the fan fest/carnival was right before the season started, not at the end...but I could be wrong.

That was really cool. I remember going into the lockerrooms and all the behind-the-scenes places in the rink. There's a picture floating around somewhere at my parents' house of me with Zhitnik and Holzinger and I'm wearing short-sleeves so it was definitely in either the early fall or spring.

Reactions: fingerpainter

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY

Are you thinking of The Sabres Open Practice? I used to go in the early - mid 70's. A local team would bid (charitable donation) for the right to scrimmage The Sabres as part of the event....

1689032928855.png

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Loved Thomas Vanek in his prime.

Problem is he faded rather quickly in his late 20's.

View attachment 727679

The thing about players like Vanek, whose primary skill in the NHL was scoring goals, is that they hit their peak far earlier in their career than most people realize . That prime is usually around the ages of 24, 25 and 26. Many of them remain productive players into their late 20s and early-to-mid 30s. They just are not as productive as they once were.

But for some of them, the ones whose biggest and perhaps most valuable contribution is their ability to score goals, once they lose just a fraction of the ability that made them so successful -- losing a little bit off of their shot, losing some of the quickness that allowed them to get to the open spot in the offensive zone, etc. -- they can have a tendency to completely fall off a cliff in terms of their production once they hit the latter stages of their career.

Thomas was one of them.

Dany Heatley was another in that category...
there was this one poster - I think @pigpen65 but maybe someone else, who, every year early in Vanek's career would post that Vanek was a lock to get 500 goals in a Sabres uniform, and would likely even break Perreault's club record.

I wonder of Vanek ever bet on himself to do that...

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
there was this one poster - I think @pigpen65 but maybe someone else, who, every year early in Vanek's career would post that Vanek was a lock to get 500 goals in a Sabres uniform, and would likely even break Perreault's club record.

I wonder of Vanek ever bet on himself to do that...
Definitely wasn't me as I typically don't care much about stats, especially historical ones, but I did really like Vanek. Especially as a prospect. Before Ruff coached all of the creativity out of his game he was an extremely dynamic player.

Reactions: brian_griffin

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Definitely wasn't me as I typically don't care much about stats, especially historical ones, but I did really like Vanek. Especially as a prospect. Before Ruff coached all of the creativity out of his game he was an extremely dynamic player.
Maybe it was @Layne Staley? Or @HogtownSabresfan ? Or maybe I just have schweinefleisch on my brain because it's one of my favorite German words and Vanek is Austrian.

You jogged my memory - I remember the joy in young Vanek, and I also remember the palatial doghouse Ruff built just for him.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad