Online Series: House of Cards

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal
It's not as if it's dishonest, though. Frank knows, and she knew about Zoe. The thing with Meechum was together, and they both fell for the bad writer.

It's a different dynamic, but I'm not sure how the blame can fall on her for it.

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
[spoil] Agree, he's very reactive but like you said now he's spending time defending everything he's done and keeping Claire in check. You could say her getting the VP nod was one of those schemes. Also bringing Conway to the Whitehouse. The fight with Freddy seemed forced to me, I get it to some extent but his reaction was way over the top. You're working in the fricken White House and the entire reason is because this guy liked your food. I didn't think it was a crazy request. [/spoil]

I agree, Freddy was way out of line. I just don't get why he hates Frank so much. Frank genuinely likes him and tried to help him and Freddy would have had great success if his Grandson wasn't a dumb ass. Freddy's anger is misplaced.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Just finished the season

[spoil]1) Wondering how Francis can get out of this mess, the guy is going into war (never what the people like to hear), the article, and he's already losing in the ballots

2) not a fan of Douglas hooking up with the widow of the man he almost directly killed...and once that's out in the press, it won't be long before that 5k donation is found out about. Like buy a 5k prepaid credit card and mail it to them or something, or just drop 5k in her mail.

3) I thought Walker left Francis/the white house unsuspecting of Francis being the mastermind of his demise, how did he figure it out? He said he figured it out in the finale but never really said how...and how do you not kick out Thomas as soon as he admits he lied to get into his house lol

4) You just knew the NSA thing was going to blow up in their faces right from the start, as soon as it was introduced...I can almost guarantee you there is not one person out there that didn't see that coming[/spoil]

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
My partner and I just finished season 4. Much more entertaining than season 3. At this point that's what the show is. Ludicrous entertainment. It's just so over the top and ridiculous, that any attempt at looking for realism is just foolish.

But it's a lot of fun lol. Very much enjoyed this season.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
My partner and I just finished season 4. Much more entertaining than season 3. At this point that's what the show is. Ludicrous entertainment. It's just so over the top and ridiculous, that any attempt at looking for realism is just foolish.

I don't think it's very unrealistic at all

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California

I feel the same way. It's absolutely ridiculous but so damn entertaining that I love it. This season was a much better effort than season 3...this season is Frank back at what he does best.

Only have one more episode to go after some serious binging this weekend.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Is it just me, or does Claire become increasingly annoying as the show drags on?

I basically just binged the first four seasons, over the last few weeks. And boy did she turn into a very unlikable character. :help:

From the mass layoffs at her non-profit, her clash with that other woman she brought in, being woefully unqualified for the UN gig and then throwing a hissy fit when it was taken away......oh, and I almost forgot, sleeping around behind Frank's back with multiple men and throwing the campaign into disrepute.

Frank doesn't really care about her sleeping around, in fact he encourages it as long as she is safe. He can't give her what she needs in that capacity.

I kinda get it but this isn't a normal relationship, it's a partnership and she wants to make sure she's established before the wheels come off.

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
Is it just me, or does Claire become increasingly annoying as the show drags on? .

And she has that same blank stare on her face for most of it. It's as you said, increasingly annoying. I don't think she's a good actress and the character is written poorly to boot.

As most have already posted, S4 is much better than S3, but not close to 1-2. And yes, some of these plot lines and decision making have gone into the unrealistic zone.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
I can't get over Joel Kinnamen as a presidential candidate, he's not a bad actor but that was an awful casting choice

King of the Fall

Aug 26, 2007
And she has that same blank stare on her face for most of it. It's as you said, increasingly annoying. I don't think she's a good actress and the character is written poorly to boot.

As most have already posted, S4 is much better than S3, but not close to 1-2. And yes, some of these plot lines and decision making have gone into the unrealistic zone.

I kind of agree with your assessment of Claire's character. The beginning of S4 really made me dislike her. She basically wanted an elected position, just because. Her character can be irritating, but I think that's intentional.

[spoil]Hated the dynamic of her becoming VP candidate.
Disliked her and Tom doing their thing.

The last two episodes were tense as hell though:laugh:
S5 should be a real roller coaster, very much looking forward to it.[/spoil]

My rankings of seasons are 1,3,4,2.
I wasn't a fan of the tusk dynamic, and I though him getting the POTUS was a bit too soon in the series, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
I may of missed something but I could swear Mendoza was the the Republican candidate for president? He just vanished in season 4.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I may of missed something but I could swear Mendoza was the the Republican candidate for president? He just vanished in season 4.

[spoil]He was removed from candidacy after some scandal. Frank mentions it in passing. Probably didn't recast the actor due to some irreconcilable dispute, and had to make up a reason why he didn't show up in the season.[/spoil]

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
[spoil]He was removed from candidacy after some scandal. Frank mentions it in passing. Probably didn't recast the actor due to some irreconcilable dispute, and had to make up a reason why he didn't show up in the season.[/spoil]

Frank mentioned it in passing during season 3.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

I don't think it's very unrealistic at all

It is completely absurd. You need a lot more than accurate set direction and celebrity news cameos to make a realistic political thriller.

Francis' little speech/threat to Kathy in the Oval Office was really the last straw. It was meant to be a chilling, multiple season culminating threat but my response to that scene was genuine laughter. It was just too stupid for words.

This season had one compelling storyline; Frank being shot. Once they got back to Frank and Claire's fantasy politicking I checked back out.

I am in too deep now to flat out stop watching. I will watch S5 when it comes out, but just like last season, I am not left dying to see what happens. Hell I was barely able to muster enough interest to watch the last couple episodes instead of just reading the synopses online.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
As much as i love this show, my only gripe is that there is no way he would win re-election. Regardless of what he did during the rest of his campaign/presidency. It would be game over.

Other than that, man is this entertaining.

You say that and then I watch the current Presidential race with their baggage... the two front runners have some serious issues. :laugh:

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
And this show is back in my good books after that season.

Absolutely outstanding bounce back after that third season

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Just caught up on season 4. Thought the first half was really good and had lots of potential. The second half was just a bunch of random fireworks going off, what a mess. Not sure how he's planning to win by going to war. You'd think after the Miller/Ahmadi mess plus his at least two other scandals at hand (Hammerschmidt and the NSA stuff) going to war would put Conway in favor among the people - not him.

Edit: Also, Conway is a veteran and has a former general as running mate. What "war credentials" do Frank and Claire have?

Last edited:

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
I think this was an awesome season - Right up there with Season 1. Not as unrealistic as was once thought.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I just finished all the fourth season after starting the series last month. I loved it. Season 3 was definitely the toughest to get through, but season 4 bounced back and was really, really good. Hopefully not too much longer of a wait for season 5.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Just binged this show over the last couple of weeks

I agree that Season 3 was the worst of the 4

My biggest complaint - other than how careless the Underwood's are in their sex life - was how they wrote Dunbar out of the race

Why wouldn't she just go on TV to explain why the meeting took place and share Goodwin's theory? At the very least it would've shone light on the affair with Zoe Barnes

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
About the sex life - they're hedonists, but more importantly they see sex as a means to an end. You'd be surprised how many people, couples even, who take that approach. It's not that rare, and it certainly fits their character.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad