Post-Game Talk: Hot and cold Soup

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
This team may miss the playoffs. Terrible defense, terrible goaltending, terrible chipmunk looking coach.

Also, why does McDavid refuse to shoot? He seems allergic to it post-break. May not even hit 50 goals at this rate.

No, no, no, what?

Big what?

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
3v3 OT/SO is basically a coin flip to decide the game. I'm a bit amazed at the heavy reaction fans have to it win or lose. Unless it's like in 05-06 when we had 3 goalies that couldn't win a shootout... that was odd.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
That loss was in Campbell and Campbell alone. That was gross. Hec was borderline. 700 save peevetsge after the 4th softy

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Really fun game. Early in the third, I certainly didn't think the Oil were getting a point.

Red Wings are starting to look good the past week. I wonder if they're gonna make a run... They were probably the better team in the previous Edmonton game. I'm not sure they were the better team tonight (overall, they weren't), but they still played pretty well, defensively.

Nuge and McDavid had very strong games. Nurse was pretty good (despite missing the net on a point-blank chance). Broberg was good (despite two pucks going off him for own-goals!). Kostin's play in the third was great. The Power Play looked much better again, which was good... except they failed to score with 2 minutes left in the third, which would have won the game.

For the poor: Kulak's brutal icing pass (leading to the fourth goal); Draisaitl's lost faceoffs in the D-end; Jack Campbell's weak effort on two or three of the goals. (That first one was ugly.)

Oilers probably deserved to win just going by chances and zone-time, but Detroit got the early lead and the Oilers never had the lead.

So, what's with the Oilers' crappy (a) overtime / shoot-outs and (b) general play on home ice?

The Oilers are one of three clubs in the west that don't have a shoot-out win this season. And their overtimes have been poor. I think, as others have said, it's really time for Woody to change-up the starting players in overtime. Connor and Leon aren't getting it done together, or at least put somebody else but Nurse out there. Try something like Connor, Nuge, and Barrie. Then, throw out Leon with Nurse and Kane, or whatever.

The play on home ice just isn't good this season. They've won 13 of 28 games at home this season, and that's after the recent mini-home win streak. Here's how that 13 wins compares with recent seasons:
2023: 13 / 28
2022: 16 / 28
2021: 16 / 28
2020: 15 / 28

In other words, it's their fewest home wins since the last season they missed the playoffs (2019).

Arizona has a better points-percentage at home than Edmonton. Meanwhile, only Vegas (out of 16 clubs) has a notably better road record than the Oilers. The Oil this year are road warriors who suck at home.

Reactions: Oil53

Valhallis

Aug 2, 2005
Fun game at the end. Shootouts are garbage. And I'll echo what others have said and say that we really need to change up our OT. Give someone like Holloway a chance with McDavid.

Reactions: Oil53

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
No. I’m clearly talking about the narrative of the game in the initial post. 5-4 SO loss is more digestible than 4-2 or 5-2 loss.
"How dog shit we were all game".

Yeah, you said something that was wildly incorrect about this specific game.

"The narrative will change to "we battled back and made something of it".

Again, directly talking about this specific game, despite the fact that they outplayed Detroit all night.

But then people called you out and you suddenly decided to say you were never talking about this specific game. Mulitple times in fact.

You misspoke. Just own it. Jesus man.

Reactions: Oilhawks and TB12

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
For the most part we played a good game. Campbell deep sixed the possibility of a win.

Another game where there was no finish whatsoever. Kane could have had three goals in the third period alone but constantly fanned on them. Foegele too.

McDavid played fantastic, but since the all star game he doesn't seem to be shooting the puck as much in non-prime opportunities and is back to deferring more than he should. Needs to get selfish again. Thought Leon was really good (other than OT) and was moving his feet and playing all the way to both nets. Woodcroft badly needs to stop using him in the shootout, especially in the third position. He just isn't good at it at all.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I was thinking they should yank him after goal number 2, but then, it kind of makes you think twice when you remember Skinner wasn't exactly a tower of power his last game.
Neither are good, our tending right now is just like the last few years, hot and cold, games where they can't stop anything. Time to stop the coddling and pull out the hook.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Janmark needs to never play in the top-6 again.

Put Kostin up there, if nothing else. I thought he had a strong night.

Whatever game Janmark briefly had is now gone.

He has a bizarre habit of getting near the puck, but is never able to actually make a play on it. He either misses it, is slow to it, or gets it briefly before fumbling it away. He's making Puljujarvi look like Datsyuk at the moment. Zero hands.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
Whatever game Janmark briefly had is now gone.

He has a bizarre habit of getting near the puck, but is never able to actually make a play on it. He either misses it, is slow to it, or gets it briefly before fumbling it away. He's making Puljujarvi look like Datsyuk at the moment. Zero hands.
Janmark sucks. 4th line is as far as he should be on the depth chart

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
McDavid and Nuge has great chemistry all night. Why not put them pout together in OT? Nuge was on fire and Draisaitl mailed in another lazy lethargic effort. He should have never seen the ice in OT.
And then cherry on top is for Woodcroft to put Draisaitl in the shootout when Nuge is having a scorers type night and Leon sucks in shootouts.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
McDavid and Nuge has great chemistry all night. Why not put them pout together in OT? Nuge was on fire and Draisaitl mailed in another lazy lethargic effort. He should have never seen the ice in OT.
And then cherry on top is for Woodcroft to put Draisaitl in the shootout when Nuge is having a scorers type night and Leon sucks in shootouts.

I mean Nuge got to go first in the shootout and blew his chance too, so you can't put that all on Draisaitl. We do seem to have a serious lack of "players with hands" on this roster, after McDavid it can get thin fast.

Leon is playing hurt, he's not being lazy, at this point it seems obvious. The fact is though it doesn't get to 4-4 without him scoring on the PP.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
I mean Nuge got to go first in the shootout and blew his chance too, so you can't put that all on Draisaitl. We do seem to have a serious lack of "players with hands" on this roster, after McDavid it can get thin fast.

Leon is playing hurt, he's not being lazy, at this point it seems obvious. The fact is though it doesn't get to 4-4 without him scoring on the PP.
If he's that hurt, he should sit for a game or two then.
Better to do it now and get his healthy for the playoffs that have him play like he has been lately for the remainder of the season.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Better to do it now and get his healthy for the playoffs that have him play like he has been lately for the remainder of the season.

Other than OT I thought Leon played well last night.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Players play through shit all the time.

The fact is if he didn't play yesterday the Oilers lose 4-3 in regulation ... is that magically better?

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Hopefully it's just a two game thing but wow that's two games of absolute garbage goaltending from both our starters. Pee f***ing yew.

Skinner perhaps you can say the team wasn't there. But he was still garbage.
Campbell.... yikes I was hoping that first half Campbell was gone but he was back last night.

two games only but the eye or Mordor is on them :P

All we can do is hope I guess.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
3v3 OT/SO is basically a coin flip to decide the game. I'm a bit amazed at the heavy reaction fans have to it win or lose. Unless it's like in 05-06 when we had 3 goalies that couldn't win a shootout... that was odd.
Normally it would be a coin flip. But the way the Oilers have played it, the result is pretty much determined at the start of it. Woodcroft needs to shake somethings up when it gets to that point. Doing the same thing over and over again and hoping for a different result is just foolish.

Last edited:

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Normally it would be a coin flip. But the way the Oilers have played it, the result is pretty much determined at the start of it. Woodcroft needs to shake somethings up when it gets to that point. Doing the same thing over and over again and hoping the same result is just foolish.

We’ve caught Toronto Maple Leaf syndrome.

They’re another team with high-end skill that just has a dreadful record in OT/SO (5-8/0-1).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad