Post-Game Talk: Hot and cold Soup

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Do they? All reports show that Holland has been looking at pretty much everyone. He sees the teams holes and is actively trying to fill them.
Yes, it’s been discussed how their emergence has kept us from going panic mode and Broberg went from a traceable price to somehow being off the table. I won’t deny they have been serviceable but that is not what we need when we are wasting ANOTHER year of McDrai with below par guys and performances like this. I understand in a 82 game season players are bound to have their bad games but we can’t keep writing it off. Our home record has been atrocious all year, this is not an outlier

And there is also reports about Oilers being handcuffed with cap and don’t expect them to do anything too wild as well. I know Holland has his hand in everything but if he’s being stubborn with prices and not creative with cap manoeuvrability, we have effectively wasted another year of prime McDrai with the west wide open

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You’re criticizing Kostin’s game tonight? Lol. He was the spark plug for the comeback tonight early in the third period. There were passengers tonight. He wasn’t one of them.
Even the broadcast singled out Kostin as having a pretty good game. Pulju was banging too. Serial hits by the line led to the Ryan goal, and were the reason the ozone pressure was sustained.

kane was off though. Something seemed off with him tonight. Hopefully not because he fought in previous game. Don't think he should be doing that so soon back. In complete fairness to Kane he is only supposed to be back playing at all right about now. He came back a few weeks early.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
So why does Woodcroft not pull goalies often enough? Campbell should have been yanked after the 2nd goal. Almost double the number of shots, oilers lost due to terrible goals by the tender, simple as that.
I was thinking they should yank him after goal number 2, but then, it kind of makes you think twice when you remember Skinner wasn't exactly a tower of power his last game.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Cause Nurse is incredible skater & Bouchard does not have an ounce of urgency in his body
Incredible skater who doesn't have any finish or offensive creativity. At least Bouchard has good offensive instincts for OT. 3 on 3 is more like pond hockey where offensively skilled players can excel.... which is more down Bouchard's ally. But I'd start with Barrie first though.

Another reason to trade for Karlsson....

Last edited:

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
He covers for them by being the most dynamic D currently on the Oilers with game breaking offensive talent. He also makes the team better by Ceci being on the 2nd pairing drawing the easier competition that he is more suited to play against. JMO
Yeah I see that, but he doesn’t win face offs, save easy pucks or make the forwards better defensively. Does he penalty kill, cause that’s an issue too. I guess I keep comparing this team in the west to very balanced teams in Dallas, Winnipeg and Colorado and am just not sure EK fixes this team, but I also have to say that with the roster flaws out there I don’t know what does.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Even the broadcast singled out Kostin as having a pretty good game. Pulju was banging too. Serial hits by the line led to the Ryan goal, and were the reason the ozone pressure was sustained.

kane was off though. Something seemed off with him tonight. Hopefully not because he fought in previous game. Don't think he should be doing that so soon back. In complete fairness to Kane he is only supposed to be back playing at all right about now. He came back a few weeks early.
I thought I heard earlier that Kane and Draisaitl had missed practice due to some sickness. If that's the case, then they both probably weren't 100 % tonight.

Reactions: Ibanez

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Games like this make me worried about chasing too hard this year for someone like EK who impacts the team salary cap for years to come. I’m just struggling to see how he covers for the glaring holes that exist here.
EK would be a massive upgrade on Bouchard or Barrie. One of them is surely going if there's a deal, and none of our current right-side Dmen are ideal on the 1st pairing. With EK on the right-side 1st pairing, it moves Ceci down to the 2nd pairing and Barrie/Bouchard to the 3rd pairing. That is just so much better anyway you slice it.

Reactions: Oil53 and Oilhawks

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yes, it’s been discussed how their emergence has kept us from going panic mode and Broberg went from a traceable price to somehow being off the table. I won’t deny they have been serviceable but that is not what we need when we are wasting ANOTHER year of McDrai with below par guys and performances like this. I understand in a 82 game season players are bound to have their bad games but we can’t keep writing it off. Our home record has been atrocious all year, this is not an outlier

And there is also reports about Oilers being handcuffed with cap and don’t expect them to do anything too wild as well. I know Holland has his hand in everything but if he’s being stubborn with prices and not creative with cap manoeuvrability, we have effectively wasted another year of prime McDrai with the west wide open
Our bottom pairing has been good. Not serviceable good. Our middle pairing has been fine our top has struggled, so Holland is working at getting a top defender.

Our Pk is rough so he is trying to find a good bottom 6 Pk guy and has also been looking at a guy like Kane.

Also we dominates tonight but had bad goaltending. Having a freak out after a game like this is just odd.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
You know who could've helped the Leon Kane line tonight? Yamamoto. Skill, can win puck battles and has effort every shift. Janmark was totally lost. Foegele was a bit better but left handed
Janmark shouldn't be in the top six at all. Just like Ceci shouldn't be on the top pair.

Team always has guys punching above their weight, and then people turn on them and want them gone, even though when they play in the roles they were brought in for, they do well.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So he can imagine himself there instead :)
Oh gawd no. Please no.

1676529257758.png

;)

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Yeah I see that, but he doesn’t win face offs, save easy pucks or make the forwards better defensively. Does he penalty kill, cause that’s an issue too. I guess I keep comparing this team in the west to very balanced teams in Dallas, Winnipeg and Colorado and am just not sure EK fixes this team, but I also have to say that with the roster flaws out there I don’t know what does.

While VD is a bottom pairing guy, he's done really well on the PK and in 5v5 and might have been the difference for one against so they could win in regulation. Sheltered minutes, yes, but I wouldn't want to spend major assets for a D first guy when you get can a gamebreaker like Karlsson instead.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Stupid f***ing game

Now because of this result, we’ll forget how dog shit we were all game and the narrative will change to “we battled back and made something of it”

That 10 game point streak was the worst thing that could have happened to us tbh

Again, not talking about specifically this game. It’s more of a whole. Are you happy with our home record this year? Campbell? Drais 5on5 play? Nurse? Our Dcore?
You were pretty clearly talking about this game until people called out your initial post.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
It's not brain science to pick guys to shoot in the shootout... find guys that are accurate snipers.

Look at the hot hands... those with the highest shooting pct on the season.

Kostin leads the team with 21.4%... when he gets a chance he can snipe goals. He only gets a little over 1 shot per game... but hey in a shootout that's all you need is one shot. He'd be a perfect pick to shoot because there's certainly no book on him yet either.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
You were pretty clearly talking about this game until people called out your initial post.
No. I’m clearly talking about the narrative of the game in the initial post. 5-4 SO loss is more digestible than 4-2 or 5-2 loss.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
A 27th ranked PK (which really isn't getting any better) is concerning as well. That has to be addressed if the team is going to be able to play more physical as the games get tighter and chippier down the stretch (and into the playoffs of course as well). Can't be gifting teams goals because the PK is poor.

I haven't looked up the stats but I'd be curious to see how many teams with a PK in the bottom 20% of the league in the regular season... end up making it to the Conference Finals or further. My guess is that it would be very few.

Last edited:
Reactions: bellagiobob

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
This team may miss the playoffs. Terrible defense, terrible goaltending, terrible chipmunk looking coach.

Also, why does McDavid refuse to shoot? He seems allergic to it post-break. May not even hit 50 goals at this rate.

• Haha
Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad