WJC: Host cities for 2019 and 2021 World Juniors in Canada?

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Selkirk would be a better option than Brandon if it goes to Winnipeg. Capacity is only about 3,000 but it's 45 minutes from downtown Winnipeg. All the teams could stay in Winnipeg and select games could be played in Selkirk - just like 1999. Marquee games from both pools could be held at the MTS Centre with creative scheduling.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'd think Halifax is one. Hasn't been in Atlantic Canada in a while.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Edmonton could host the tournament entirely on its own thanks to the presence of not one but two NHL-quality arenas. There's also a practice facility attached to the new barn and numerous other places (Clare Drake, Millenium Place, even West Edmonton Mall) where teams could get in some ice-time if they so chose.

That's actually a strategy I'd be curious to see tried in some other Canadian markets; besides Pacific Coliseum and Rogers Arena, Abbotsford is an hour outside of Vancouver and has an entire AHL arena sitting empty thanks to the departure of the Heat. There's no need to involve a second major city.

Toronto could have easily done so on its own last year as well, with ACC, Ricoh and FirstOntario Center in Hamilton all within an hour-and-a-half of each other. If the costs of splitting between two metropolitan centers ever became a concern, it's a viable option.

There were many games in Toronto that did not have good crowds.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Wings13

1)CTC holds 20,000 don't know how you can say thats to small.

2)As for the 2021 chances are very very small it would be held in S,Ontario if its held in Ontario it would go eastern or way down to London/Windsor.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
very little money down the london/chatham/windsor area.

don't see it going down that way....

Only way London sees it is if they go Hamilton / London....

But now that St Catharines has the Meridian Centre, it would be Hamilton / St Catharines....

I see that as the best option in Ontario (aside from the GTA).

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Selkirk would be a better option than Brandon if it goes to Winnipeg. Capacity is only about 3,000 but it's 45 minutes from downtown Winnipeg. All the teams could stay in Winnipeg and select games could be played in Selkirk - just like 1999. Marquee games from both pools could be held at the MTS Centre with creative scheduling.

Could certainly work as well. But I still feel they would be more likely to chose Brandon due to the extra 2100 seats. It's already on the small side to begun with, couldn't see them not choosing the next biggest option. 2 hours isn't a bad drive at all for these teams. As for hotels, a Canadinns is attached to Westman Place.

But really I'm happy as long as Winnipeg gets it somehow!

JoeyBeans

Jan 5, 2013
Halifax
SCOTIABANK-CENTRE-02_(2)-145697818046.jpg

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Calgary/Edmonton would be great!

The new building in Edmonton is going to be among the best in the NHL, it would be a great atmosphere.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Where do you guys think these tournaments will be played? I wouldn't mind seeing Vancouver-Victoria maybe.

Any chance they go back to maybe Saskatoon-Regina? That was a pretty successful tournament.

Please. Then I'd have an excuse to stay home longer at XMas. :laugh:

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
HC clearly sees this as a cash cow event (much in the same way as the CHL, at a more small scale level, sees the Mem Cup).

I don't see HC centring the tournament around any large city without an NHL rink - and if they can get two major cities involved even better.

It might be nice for the spirit of hockey in Canada if the tournament was spread around more but I don't think that's likely anytime soon.

I think it's more likely that U17 ends up in a mid sized area than U20.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Swedish wiki(lol I know) says Halifax 2019 and and Thunder Bay/Winnipeg 2021. I have no idea about those places, what do you guys think?

Anyway I love it when this tournament is in Canada(or close to the border). Finland did a good job this year though

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
HC clearly sees this as a cash cow event (much in the same way as the CHL, at a more small scale level, sees the Mem Cup).

I don't see HC centring the tournament around any large city without an NHL rink - and if they can get two major cities involved even better.

It might be nice for the spirit of hockey in Canada if the tournament was spread around more but I don't think that's likely anytime soon.

I think it's more likely that U17 ends up in a mid sized area than U20.
Hm, you bring a good point, to me. Hockey Canada already organizes various international hockey tournaments (World Junior A Challange, U17 challenge...), when you look at that, it seems logical to me that the biggest event here, the World Juniors, gets the bigger arenas and cities, when the smaller cities have their opportunities with the smaller tournaments. The World Junior Championships is the biggest stage of junior hockey after all. You can see the difference when it's played in Hartwal Arena in front of 17,000 people (or what is the correct number), or in Toronto.

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
Almost surely will go back out west in 2019. Either Edmonton/Calgary or Vancouver. Hopefully a Quebec/Halifax could work in 2021. I'd be happy even if they just gave Halifax a couple of pre-tournament games and the non-Canada group. Still fun hockey. Don't think it's fair that TO/MTL get it twice in 3 year span. Just a money grab and it will continue to go that way.

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
Almost surely will go back out west in 2019. Either Edmonton/Calgary or Vancouver. Hopefully a Quebec/Halifax could work in 2021. I'd be happy even if they just gave Halifax a couple of pre-tournament games and the non-Canada group. Still fun hockey. Don't think it's fair that TO/MTL get it twice in 3 year span. Just a money grab and it will continue to go that way.

Right on. And Winnipeg gets shafted again. Halifax hosted in 2003 and Winnipeg in 1999. Halifax should be behind Winnipeg no matter what...

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I'm all for one of Ottawa or Victoria being the city of choice for 2019. I might still be in Ottawa then, and I don't think the rest of my family will leave Victoria by 2019 (or perhaps ever). So either I stay at home longer for XMas or head back to Ottawa earlier. Either works if we're talking the World Juniors. ;)

Macman

May 15, 2004
Quebec City would be a great choice. It's beautiful and you could use the new building and the old.

Malcolm

Apr 6, 2016
Would love for it to come to St.John's but unsure if there's a 2nd arena here in the province that could hold the people necessary for this tournament.

Got to think that B.C. gets it in 2019 and Manitoba in 2021.

Corner Brook and St.John's!!!

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
If an international co-share is possible, Vancouver and Everett would be a nice choice.

Everett's arena is excellent, holds 8000 and is the northern part of Seattle, making the I-5 nightmare way easier.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Bring it to the west. Regina/Saskatoon, Winnipeg/Brandon, Calgary/Edmonton, Vancouver/Victoria. Any of those would be awesome, the prairie fans will have the buildings rocking.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Calgary and Edmonton? Using the new arena for the Oilers would be nice. I'd love a small town to have it but that's not going to happen anymore. Could use Rexall Place + Rogers Place so it would be really close too. A lot of options in the west and it hasn't been here in a while.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
people, please! this tournament is not going to be held in obscure out of the way places with 3,000-8,000 seat venues. It's not going to happen. Should they scale back the gross commercialization of a junior hockey tournament? Yes, absolutely, but be realistic, this has become a BIG TIME EVENT and bankrolls Hockey Canada's entire operation for the year...in addition to the huge salaries Hockey Canada bureaucrats allot themselves. You think they are going to give that up and actually have to go out and do some work, hustling sponsors for more cash to make up for budgetary shortfalls? Have you ever known a bureaucrat willing to do an honest day's work? The dopes at Hockey Canada are no exception.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad