WJC: Host cities for 2019 and 2021 World Juniors in Canada?

Derek OBrien

May 27, 2016
Prague, CZ
Hockey Canada has now opened the bidding for 2019 WJC.

I'm not sure what the timeline is.

Bidding closes on May 31st (Tuesday). The winner will be announced in late August.

Almost certainly it will be either Vancouver or Winnipeg. I haven't even heard of any place else even considering it. The one that doesn't get it will probably host 2021.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Bidding closes on May 31st (Tuesday). The winner will be announced in late August.

Almost certainly it will be either Vancouver or Winnipeg. I haven't even heard of any place else even considering it. The one that doesn't get it will probably host 2021.

Ottawa will bid for 2019 or 2021 more then likely but the wild card is there expected to push very hard for the 2018 mem cup.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Wish it was in a non nhl town.

The cities don't have the magic of those small arena's like Saskatoon in 2010.

Think it was Taylor Hall who still to this day says that's the loudest arena he's ever played in.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Saskatoon/Regina 2019

Edmonton/Calgary 2021

Put it in the heartland of hockey. Celebrating our Christmas tradition with Canada playing on the frozen plains, it's perfect . The crowds will be off the charts loud and ready for war. The electricity in those buildings will be insane.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Think it was Taylor Hall who still to this day says that's the loudest arena he's ever played in.

I found the crowds far better in 2006 and 2009 (Vancouver and Ottawa) than in Saskatoon. Halifax was good though in 2003.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

Ottawa was fantastic when it hosted so I can't agree with this.

Derek OBrien

May 27, 2016
Prague, CZ
I found the crowds far better in 2006 and 2009 (Vancouver and Ottawa) than in Saskatoon. Halifax was good though in 2003.

Saskatoon, Quebec and Hamilton are really the only non-NHL cities in Canada that would currently be capable of being the primary host venue. I don't think Hockey Canada would consider any bid that's not centred around an arena with a capacity of at least 15,000, which is 10 cities. I know Halifax hosted with a 10,000-seater in 2003 but the tournament has grown a lot since then.

Saskatoon/Regina 2019

Edmonton/Calgary 2021

Put it in the heartland of hockey. Celebrating our Christmas tradition with Canada playing on the frozen plains, it's perfect . The crowds will be off the charts loud and ready for war. The electricity in those buildings will be insane.

These cities just hosted in 2010 and 2012, so they won't come back to them so soon. They will eventually though. The favourite at this point for 2019 looks like Vancouver, with either Victoria or Abbotsford as secondary city. They could also do it all-Vancouver and use Rogers Arena and Pacific Coliseum to maximize attendance, but I'd rather see them use another city. Apparently Ottawa bid too but with the previous two tournaments shared between Toronto and Montreal, I don't think they'll stage a third straight one in that area of the country. They will host again at some point, though.

Last edited:

Zegras Zebra

May 7, 2016
Winnipeg, Manitoba
It would be really cool to have the 2019 or 2021 tournament in Winnipeg, although as mentioned the second arena would really pose a problem.

Brandon, Manitoba (Keystone Centre, 5,102 capacity): A 2 hour drive from Winnipeg, probably the most logical choice if you want to keep the second arena in the province.

Selkirk, Manitoba (Selkirk Rec Centre, 2,751 capacity (not sure if this includes standing room)): About a 45 minute drive from downtown Winnipeg as someone else mentioned, and has hosted/ co-hosted other major tournaments such as the 2002 World Under 17, and the 2007 Women's World Championship. However, it is way to small for a tournament of this size. If Selkirk had a 5,000 seat arena and a WHL team it would be plausable.

Regina, Saskatchewan (Brandt Centre, 6,200 capacity): Larger than Brandon, but too far away from Winnipeg to realistically work.

Grand Forks, North Dakota (Ralph Engelstad Arena, 11,643 capacity): A little over a 2 hour drive from Winnipeg (depending on the time at the border), it is the largest arena nearby even though it is in the USA. The idea intrigues me about a split Canada/USA hosted tournament and arena size would not be an issue, but I still couldn't see it happening in the near future.

Winnipeg, Manitoba (MTS Iceplex, 1,350 capacity): The Jets practice facility would be too small to host this type of tournament.

Portage la Praire/ Winkler/ Dauphin, Manitoba: Too small arenas

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Memorial can seat around 7500 so 8k with standing room. It's no GM Place but did Red Deer have a higher capacity?

They would no longer hold WJC in Red Deer. No chance. Maybe if it were a pre-tournament game between Denmark and Slovakia they'd have it in Red Deer.

...and also no way they'd have WJC in a rink with a 7,500 capacity. Not these days.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
They would no longer hold WJC in Red Deer. No chance. Maybe if it were a pre-tournament game between Denmark and Slovakia they'd have it in Red Deer.

...and also no way they'd have WJC in a rink with a 7,500 capacity. Not these days.

I suppose that's true. The most important thing these days is to milk the cash cow for every drop.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I suppose that's true. The most important thing these days is to milk the cash cow for every drop.

That's exactly it. They only seem to want it in cities where there are NHL-sized rinks (while pricing it extremely high). Honestly, I think they'd love to hold it in Toronto only every time if they could get away with it.

I think London and Windsor have put in a joint bid for the event - but I can't see Hockey Canada buying into that.

You see the same thing, albeit on a smaller scale, with the Memorial Cup as well. The CHL will only put it in the largest communities.

Derek OBrien

May 27, 2016
Prague, CZ
Here's hoping London+Windsor/Kitchener gets it. Would be an incredible atmosphere.

That won't happen. I hear they submitted a bid but Toronto will have been involved in the previous two WJCs in Canada, so I doubt Southern Ontario gets three in a row. And I also highly doubt they'd use a 9000-seat arena as the main venue. There are only 10 cities that would be considered as primary venues -- the seven NHL cities, plus Saskatoon, Hamilton and Quebec -- as they are the only cities that have arenas that can hold at least 15,000.

I realize that Halifax was the primary host with a 10,000-seater, but that was 2003 and the tournament has grown a lot since then.

Last edited:

Derek OBrien

May 27, 2016
Prague, CZ
That's exactly it. They only seem to want it in cities where there are NHL-sized rinks (while pricing it extremely high). Honestly, I think they'd love to hold it in Toronto only every time if they could get away with it.

I think London and Windsor have put in a joint bid for the event - but I can't see Hockey Canada buying into that.

You see the same thing, albeit on a smaller scale, with the Memorial Cup as well. The CHL will only put it in the largest communities.

Regarding your earlier comment about Memorial Arena in Victoria, I think 7500 is big enough as a secondary venue. Obviously it would be joint with Vancouver, which would be the main venue. Abbotsford's arena is only slightly larger, I think. If that's not big enough, Vancouver's bid would have to use Rogers Arena and Pacific Coliseum as the two venues, which is entirely possible, but I think it's more interesting to use two different cities. Two venues in the same city is good though for media, scouts, and people who want to be able to see games in both groups.

As you said, I don't think London-Windsor has a chance. London could have maybe been a secondary venue for a tournament centred around Toronto or Hamilton, but after two in a row it'll be a few years before they go back there.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
I'm surprised Hamilton is never considered any more.

They drew great crowds at the 1986 WJC and at the 1987/91 Canada Cups.

Derek OBrien

May 27, 2016
Prague, CZ
This article confirms that there's a bid from Vancouver-Victoria:

http://theprovince.com/sports/hocke...victoria-making-joint-world-junior-hockey-bid

It says, "(Vancouver Giants owner Ron) Toigo believes a joint bid from Edmonton/Calgary, along with bids from London, Ont., and from Winnipeg are also being considered.

"He says each group will need to have their presentation ready by Aug. 31, and that Hockey Canada will come visit the four sites and then pick a winner and let the winner know in December.

"The Edmonton/Calgary bid would seem to be major competition, due to the new rink in Edmonton and the presence of Bob Nicholson, the longtime Hockey Canada exec who joined the Oilers front office in 2014."

This confirms the London bid someone mentions earlier, but contrasts a post earlier which claims Winnipeg did not send a bid. It also makes no mention of a bid from Ottawa, which was reported to have been been sent. I guess we'll know next Wednesday, when they make their official presentations.

As for the Edmonton/Calgary bid, I say they wait until Calgary gets a new arena as well before they get it again. Also, they just hosted in 2012. I still think Vancouver-Victoria is the front-runner, but we'll find out in December.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
I'm surprised Hamilton is never considered any more.

They drew great crowds at the 1986 WJC and at the 1987/91 Canada Cups.

Sure but major did draw far better back then Hamilton is ave around 4000 now while 20-30 years ago it was around 10,000-12,000.

baronsforever

May 20, 2014
Deadline for bids was the end of August, curious that there has been no announcement yet. Anyone heard anything?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00