Movies: Horror Movie Discussion

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
Can I get some recommendations for good horror movies?
I have already seen:
  • The Shining
  • It Follows
  • Get Out
  • The Ring
  • Hereditary
  • A Quiet Place
  • The Witch
  • The Conjuring (only the first one)
  • Insidious (only the first one)
  • Paranormal Activity 3
  • IT (only seen the 2017 remake, not the older one)
  • Don't Breath
  • Jaws
  • Alien
  • The Exorcist
  • Scream
  • Saw
  • Poltergeist
  • The Descent
  • The Cabin in the Woods
  • 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later
I need to definitely check out The Thing as well as a bunch of slasher films (I've seen bits and pieces of Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, etc.).

The original It.
Lake Eden
Hell House LLC and part 2
Hellraiser
I'll think of more and edit this post, kind of busy right now.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I have already seen:
  • The Shining
  • It Follows
  • Get Out
  • The Ring
  • Hereditary
  • A Quiet Place
  • The Witch
  • Paranormal Activity 3
  • Don't Breath
  • Jaws
  • Alien
  • The Exorcist
  • Scream
  • Saw
  • Poltergeist
  • The Descent
  • The Cabin in the Woods
I need to definitely check out The Thing as well as a bunch of slasher films (I've seen bits and pieces of Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, etc.).

Right now I would recommend the original Halloween because it such a smart horror movie, the second one wasn't bad but after that the franchise fizzles. The first Nightmare on Elm street was excellent because Freddy was a true monster and a force. After that they tried to almost make him a clown and it didn't work. I don't know why but I love the Hills have eyes, last house on the left is great. Even the Devils Rejects isn't bad.

Reactions: Babe Ruth

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Perusing the public library I came across Halloween 3.. I had seen it 5 or 6 times since it initially dropped in the 8os.. but checked it out for nostalgic reasons.
I know (& understand why) it was disliked because of Micheal Myers' absence. But I've always liked it as a stand-alone story. It was a concept that Carpenter wanted to expand.. different horror tales set on Halloween night.. but the movie's commercial & critical failure squashed that plan.
I like Halloween 3's masks, the ambience, the cast, etc. The villain's master plan was kinda weak & convoluted.. replace sacrificed kids w/robots (?) But I still dig it ~

I'm in the minority on 3, but any other fans (?)

Actually there's a really good theory that Halloween III is connected and that the Michael Myers after Halloween II was an android created by the Silver Shamrock company.

Some reasons in the theory that make it work.

At the end of Halloween 2, Michael has his eyes shot out and is burned in a fire. In Halloween 4 he has his eyes back and he doesn't have burn scars.
In Halloween 4 Harry is trying to meet with Minne Blackenship In Halloween VI we learn that Michael's baby sitter who was a member of the cult that made him evil was Mrs Blackenship.
In the Curse of Michael Myers, Michael gets beaten down with a pipe and bleeds yellow pus colored blood. When the androids in Halloween 3 bled it was yellow pus colored stuff.
Also, Michael's druid symbol on his wrist vanished by H2O

So the theory is that when Michael was transferred in the Ambulance to another institution he was replaced by a android by the Silver Shamrock company who were at the time trying to end the world and bring back the world of magic using Druid based technology.

Also ironically Dick Warlock who played the head Android in Halloween III was the man behind the mask in Halloween 2, so was the lead assasin droid a prototype Michael Myers replicant?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Gotta hand it to The Thing. Hands down the most terrifying entity I've ever seen on film.

The 2011 film doesn't hold a candle to it, but you might care to follow up with it, regardless. It's a prequel that shows what happened to the Norwegian team in the days leading up to the 1982 film. A few of the tie-ins are neat, like seeing them standing around the ice block in a room made to look like the one in the original. It's worth watching if you like the original and don't have expectations of it being as good.

Last edited:

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
The 2011 film doesn't hold a candle to it, but you might care to follow up with it, regardless. It's a prequel that shows what happened to the Norwegian team in the days leading up to the 1982 film. A few of the tie-ins are neat, like seeing them standing around the ice block in a room made to look like the one in the original. It's worth watching if you like the original and don't have expectations of it being as good.
Except it is good.

Shadowtron

Feb 27, 2002
Earth
Actually there's a really good theory that Halloween III is connected and that the Michael Myers after Halloween II was an android created by the Silver Shamrock company.

Some reasons in the theory that make it work.

At the end of Halloween 2, Michael has his eyes shot out and is burned in a fire. In Halloween 4 he has his eyes back and he doesn't have burn scars.
In Halloween 4 Harry is trying to meet with Minne Blackenship In Halloween VI we learn that Michael's baby sitter who was a member of the cult that made him evil was Mrs Blackenship.
In the Curse of Michael Myers, Michael gets beaten down with a pipe and bleeds yellow pus colored blood. When the androids in Halloween 3 bled it was yellow pus colored stuff.
Also, Michael's druid symbol on his wrist vanished by H2O

So the theory is that when Michael was transferred in the Ambulance to another institution he was replaced by a android by the Silver Shamrock company who were at the time trying to end the world and bring back the world of magic using Druid based technology.

Also ironically Dick Warlock who played the head Android in Halloween III was the man behind the mask in Halloween 2, so was the lead assasin droid a prototype Michael Myers replicant?

Small correction...he does have burn scars in Part IV. There's a scene in the film where MM is clenching his fist on the ambulance and you can see the scars.

Shadowtron

Feb 27, 2002
Earth
I have already seen:
  • The Shining
  • It Follows
  • Get Out
  • The Ring
  • Hereditary
  • A Quiet Place
  • The Witch
  • Paranormal Activity 3
  • Don't Breath
  • Jaws
  • Alien
  • The Exorcist
  • Scream
  • Saw
  • Poltergeist
  • The Descent
  • The Cabin in the Woods

I'll throw some classics your way. They may not necessarily be all out screamers, but they're good movies IMO:

Night of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (74)
Nosferatu ('79 you can also give the silent 1923 original a try)
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?
Night of the Demons (pure 80s cheese)
Exorcist III (in some ways, superior to the original. Forget all the sequels)
Salems Lot (the original miniseries)
The Thing ('82)
The Haunting ('63)
Blair Witch Project
The Evil Dead 1-3
Psycho ('60)
Let the Right One In
The Fly ('86)
REC ('07)
Frankenstein & Bride of Frankenstein ('31/'35)
The Omen ('76)
The House of the Devil
Suspiria
Session 9
Trick R Treat ('07)
The Hills Run Red
The Strangers
The Storm of the Century (miniseries)
Drag Me to Hell

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
When a Stranger Calls (1979) - This is famous and iconic for its opening 20 minutes, which mirror the urban legend of the suburban babysitter who repeatedly receives phone calls to "check the children." Those 20 minutes live up to their reputation and had me excited for the rest of the film... but, then, the film jumps forward 7 years and spends the next hour on a cat and mouse game in a big city. It's almost like two different movies: one that's on par with Halloween and Black Christmas and one that's on par with every forgettable 70s/80s detective thriller. The final 15 minutes bring the story back to the beginning and reward you a little bit for sticking through the film, but that boring hour in the middle is just colossal filler. It's too bad, because it could've been a real classic, like Halloween or Black Christmas, if the whole movie were more like the opening 20 minutes (or even the final 15). Classic horror fans should watch at least the opening, IMO.

When a Stranger Calls (2006) - It's funny that I was wishing that the babysitter part had comprised most of the original film, rather than just the opening, because that's what they decided to do with the remake. Maybe I should be careful what I wish for, though, because what was tight and concise at 20 minutes was stretched pretty thin at an hour and 20 minutes. Still, it kept my attention better than the middle hour of the original, though that's not saying much. I didn't find it all that chilling, though, unlike the opening of the original. It felt more like Scream without the satire, the kind of film targeted at teens and 20-somethings who aren't into real horror. You might call it more of a thriller than a horror film. It was OK... watchable but very forgettable.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: shadow1

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
My Bloody Valentine (1981) - I read that this is one of the better copycat slasher films from when everyone in the early 80s was trying to capitalize on the Halloween and Friday the 13th craze, so I had to see it and can now agree with it. It has some things going for it that make it stand out from other slasher films, such as a unique mining community setting (including much of the film being shot in an actual mine), a unique Valentine's Day theme and a slightly irreverent tone. The story (about a miner who supposedly died 20 years ago because two safety officers left their post to attend a Valentine's Day party) is a bit of a rip-off of Friday the 13th, but it's infused throughout the film, so it feels more like a story-driven film than most slashers which have the bare minimum of story to justify all of the killing. There's lots of gore, but it's not all that scary. It's more of a "fun" slasher film, like Sleepaway Camp. I liked it.

My Bloody Valentine 3D (2009) - The story and characters are largely the same, but it's a different kind of film. The "fun" of the original is mostly gone and the tone is a lot more serious and dreary. The gore is great and the unique twist is a defining aspect, but I didn't like how the film had to lie about events in order to have that twist (i.e. a scene that ruled out the twist was later revealed to have not really happened as shown, thus enabling the twist). That's just cheating. In all, the film wasn't good, but OK. If you like gore and seeing endless special effects in 2D that were meant to be seen in 3D, it might be for you.

Last edited:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Was the 81 version the one with most of the cut gore/etc reinserted?

Its a shame that some of the reported cut footage is probably forever gone. Same thing happened with several FT13's and numerous other horror films

Studios didn't care about them to begin with and many of them simply discarded cut scenes , lost track of them or simply left them to rot exposed.

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
Watching Train To Busan right now. I still think this is the best zombie movie around. I hope someone can prove me wrong though, because than I would have found something even better.

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
I watched Cabin in the woods again today. It was a nice little surprise that the actor who plays Thor is in here as the jock boyfriend. I never noticed that the first few watches.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Was the 81 version the one with most of the cut gore/etc reinserted?

Its a shame that some of the reported cut footage is probably forever gone. Same thing happened with several FT13's and numerous other horror films

Studios didn't care about them to begin with and many of them simply discarded cut scenes , lost track of them or simply left them to rot exposed.

Yes, according to what I've read, the '81 film was cut because Paramount faced backlash from Friday the 13th the year before and John Lennon was murdered just a couple of months earlier. Three minutes of that footage has since been added back (and it's pretty obvious because it's not cleaned up and exposure balanced with the rest of the film), but at least one murder that the director remembers filming has yet to be found and could be lost forever.

I watched Cabin in the woods again today. It was a nice little surprise that the actor who plays Thor is in here as the jock boyfriend. I never noticed that the first few watches.

I had a similar experience the other night when I re-watched the 2011 The Thing and saw Kristofer Hivju in one of the roles. When I saw it the first time, he was just another Scandinavian actor to me because he hadn't yet played Tormund Giantsbane in Game of Thrones.

Last edited:

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Found footage horror is my gravy. I know the genre gets a lot of flak, but I have a hard time watching horror movies these days without it being FF

Reactions: jasonleaffan

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
What was everyone's opinion of Hereditary? The opinions are bipolar.

Also, Conjuring is still one of the scariest movies I've ever seen.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
may be unpopular but I still enjoy VHS, its was a fun way to showcase short stories and let multiple directors get a shot.

plus the shorts were actually good. "I like you" is haunting

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
Anyone see this back in the day ? Starring Charlestown Chiefs owner McGrath ( Strother Martin ) lol

YeSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS love that movie.
Around 20 years ago, Space network would show a B movie every night at midnight. Can't remember what they called the program, but it was a lesser known sci-fi/horror movie every night. I loved it! They would show movies like Ssssss, Frogs, Swarm, Alligator, etc. I would tape them all. Good times!

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
When a Stranger Calls (1979) - This is famous and iconic for its opening 20 minutes, which mirror the urban legend of the suburban babysitter who repeatedly receives phone calls to "check the children." Those 20 minutes live up to their reputation and had me excited for the rest of the film... but, then, the film jumps forward 7 years and spends nearly the next hour following a detective around a big city. It's almost like two different movies: one that's on par with Halloween and one that's on par with every forgettable 70s/80s detective drama. The final 15 minutes bring the story back to the beginning and reward you a little bit for sticking through the film, but that boring hour in the middle is just colossal filler. It's too bad, because it could've been a real classic, like Halloween or Black Christmas, if the whole movie were more like the opening 20 minutes (or even the final 15).

When a Stranger Calls (2006)..

Osprey, Another contribution from the original When a Stranger Calls, it gave the sound test for THX theater audio. If I'm remembering right, it's a scene where Carol Kane's kinda crumpled on a stairwell on the phone.. Then Lucas made that brief, ominous tone famous:

Incidentally, I thought the remake was decent..

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Osprey, Another contribution from the original When a Stranger Calls, it gave the sound test for THX theater audio. If I'm remembering right, it's a scene where Carol Kane's kinda crumpled on a stairwell on the phone.. Then Lucas made that brief, ominous tone famous:

I caught that. The first time, I thought, "hey, that sounds like the THX sound." The next time, I thought, "hey, that is the THX sound." I recall the movie playing it at least three times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad