Movies: Horror Movie Discussion

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
‘World War Z’ Sequel Halts Pre-Production

Great news IMO

Pitt and his people completely stripped World War Z of everything but title and produced an average/mediocre film

Studio backs out after it was becoming apparent that budget issues of 1st film would likely be repeated and fans should rejoice and hope Pitt and his people never make this

Hell given the ending of WWZ film the ending seems pointless

Reactions: Amorgus

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
‘World War Z’ Sequel Halts Pre-Production

Great news IMO

Pitt and his people completely stripped World War Z of everything but title and produced an average/mediocre film

Studio backs out after it was becoming apparent that budget issues of 1st film would likely be repeated and fans should rejoice and hope Pitt and his people never make this

Hell given the ending of WWZ film the ending seems pointless
Literally every other zombie movie released in theatres during the zombie fad was better.

Dawn of the Dead: better movie.
28 Days Later: much better movie.
28 Weeks Later: better movie.
Warm Bodies: better movie.
Shawn of the Dead: vastly better movie.
Land of the Dead: has Dennis Hopper in it, therefore better than a movie that does not.

I'd even take the Resident Evils over WWZ. It seriously had like one good original scene in it; the zombie mass attack up the wall towards the looming helicopter. That's it. That was the one good thing about that movie.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Not to mention Brad Pitt being a super hero basically was nonsense. What could he not do in film?

And the whole "I am going to shoot myself up with random deadly diseases until one works" ending was absurd

Honest Trailers had pretty good take on absurdity of movie

Literally every other zombie movie released in theatres during the zombie fad was better.

Dawn of the Dead: better movie.
28 Days Later: much better movie.
28 Weeks Later: better movie.
Warm Bodies: better movie.
Shawn of the Dead: vastly better movie.
Land of the Dead: has Dennis Hopper in it, therefore better than a movie that does not.

I'd even take the Resident Evils over WWZ. It seriously had like one good original scene in it; the zombie mass attack up the wall towards the looming helicopter. That's it. That was the one good thing about that movie.

Don't forget about Train to Busan which is probably IMO the best zombie movie since Return of the Living Dead

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
velvet buzzsaw may be the most disappointing movie ever. i saw jake and i saw horror and i was hyped but wow what a cluster**** of a movie

I was sort of hyped by this when i read the synopsis and saw who the cast was but...man that was boring as all hell

The idea was sort of cool but it was executed poorly imho

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
I was sort of hyped by this when i read the synopsis and saw who the cast was but...man that was boring as all hell

The idea was sort of cool but it was executed poorly imho

yeah really cool idea but just bad movie. like, no suspense. you knew when you got some focus specifically on one character for a few mins they were not making the next scene.

jake did a good job though, madr his character into a solid one despite the poor writing of the movie in general.

Reactions: Bronn

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's that time of year again. I tend to save horror movies and watch them during October. I haven't gotten to any yet, but KallioWeHardlyKnewYe's horror marathon post in the general movie thread reminded me that it's past time to bump this thread and get started. In the next two weeks, I want to get to last year's Halloween, the new Child's Play, Annabelle Comes Home and a few others.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
I've been jonesing for some October horror as well, any streaming recommendations (mainstream or otherwise)? I've knocked a couple (Rosemary's Baby & The Orphanage) off the bucket list recently and I'm looking for more.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
It's that time of year again. I tend to save horror movies and watch them during October. I haven't gotten to any yet, but KallioWeHardlyKnewYe's horror marathon post in the general movie thread reminded me that it's past time to bump this thread and get started. In the next two weeks, I want to get to last year's Halloween, the new Child's Play, Annabelle Comes Home and a few others.
Having just seen a couple, Halloween was a slight disappointment, but Child’s Play was an absolute guilty pleasure to watch. Highly recommended!

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Yearly recommendation of The Wailing, so long as subtitles are fine with y'all. Phenomenal horror film that expertly balances humor, mystery and terror

cce980b278edad935472145e324f28e6.jpg

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

Winchester (2018) - 5/10 (Didn't like or dislike it)

In 1906, a doctor (Jason Clarke) is invited to the luxurious mansion of the Winchester rifle's inventor's widow (Helen Mirren) to assess her sanity and ends up confronting her demons and his. I've had an interest in the mansion since touring it as a teenager and I'm drawn to period horror, so this seemed up my alley. I liked how it started, the periodness, the lavishness of the interiors, the atmosphere and the creepiness. What was a little disappointing is that it wasn't more about the peculiarities of the mansion, the question of her sanity evaporates quite quickly, it's a bit predictable, it feels very cookie cutter horror by the end and it utilizes quite a lot of jump scares. As such, the second half wasn't as interesting to me as the first. It's not a good movie, but I don't regret watching it. It may be worth watching if, as I do, you like period horror in the vein of The Conjuring or if you like haunted house movies, but it's not memorable or something that you'll watch more than once.

Last edited:

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I really enjoyed the movie 'Us'. The ending creeped me out, and left me thinking about it that night. I dont normally get that way with horror movies. Apparently it's a mix bag in regards to reviews. Some think it's a classic, some think it's lame. I guess that's the way it always goes with horror movies.

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
Thursday night, Turner Classic Movies (TCM) has some good ones. Surprisingly they only have horror on Thursday and Halloween night. Previous years they offered much more. This Thursdays lineup....Horror of Dracula ('58), The Gorgon ('64), Plague of the Zombies ('66), Night of the Living Dead ('68), The Hunger ('83), and Nosferatu ('22).

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
So Thursday morning around 2 am I'm flipping through the channels trying to find something interesting to watch and I come across Paranormal Activity. I see where there's only about 10 minutes left so I figure I'll watch it just for the ending ( I'm going to assume that I don't need to post spoilers for a 10+ year old film ) where Katie looks into the camera and we get a quick glimpse of the demon inside. Needless to say I was pretty surprised when Katie looks into the camera and then slices her throat and falls to the ground. How many of you horror buffs here knew they shot alternate endings to the film ???? Anyway - apparently they shot several different endings and here's a look at some of them: 'Paranormal Activity': Three super-scary alternate endings (SPOILER ALERT!)

EDIT: Found the alternate throat slash ending on YouTube:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I decided to watch the 'Nightmare on Elm Street' entries that I didn't remember seeing just to make sure that I've seen them all. I'm positive that I've seen 1-3, Wes Craven's New Nightmare and Freddy vs Jason, so I tackled the rest.

A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master (1988) - 5/10 - The plot is actually a bit interesting and fresh: each time a friend is killed, the main girl takes on part of his or her personality. That gives her character development over the course of the film. It also has some impressive special effects at the end. It isn't a good movie, but, for a fourth entry, it's not so bad.

A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child (1989) - 4/10 - This one has a sort of interesting plot, as well--as it involves the dreams of an unborn child--and even brings up the issue of abortion, making it feel more personal than other entries in the franchise. Despite that, it felt a little too much like the last one, since it's the same girl watching the same kinds of friends die. Even the ending, with its own impressive special effects, is very similar. There's a moment when Freddy rides a skateboard that feels like the franchise's "jumped the shark" moment. I think that I'd seen this before because I remembered the skateboard, Freddy's carving up of comic book boy and the, uh, opening scene.

Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991) - 3/10 - I'm not really sure what the plot was here... something about a last surviving teenager of a small town and Freddy's grown up kid. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention because I was checking out. After the jumping of the shark in the last one, this one just goes full stupid with Freddy controlling a teenager with a joystick and a Nintendo power glove (which seemed familiar, so maybe I'd seen this one, too). It doesn't even have the same level of special effects at the end as the previous two, so there's no payoff for sitting through the whole thing.

A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) - 4/10 - This remake of the original throws the original's slow build up out of the window and features a gruesome death only 5 minutes in that is also witnessed by one of the lead characters. It's sad that modern writers feel that they need to do that and sacrifice escalation of tension to appease impatient audiences. Craven didn't do that with the original 'Nightmare' and Carpenter didn't do it with Halloween. It makes things very real for the teenagers very quickly, making this remake feel different than the original, and not in a good way. Also, the new Freddy is no Robert Englund. While a bit scarier, he's a lot more boring. This just felt like a very unnecessary and uninspired reboot, and each time that I recognized a scene from the original, I wished that I was watching the original, instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: Violenza Domestica

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
dough only now found this thread. tried to watch all the recommended horror movies of each era theres a good site ranking best movie per year for the last 100 years A Century of Terror: The 100 Best Horror Movies of the Last 100 Years
been using that as a source and imdbs top10 horror movies per year lists 10 Best Horror Films of 1911 - IMDb

Thus far last couple months watched all these movies

10 Cloverfield Lane (2016)
28 Days Later... (2002)
A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
A Page of Madness (1926)
A Quiet Place (2018)
Alien (1979)
Alien 3 (1992)
Alien: Resurrection (1997)
Aliens (1986)
An American Werewolf in London (1981)
Annihilation (2018)
Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
Child's Play (1988)
Cube (1997)
Dante's Inferno (1911)
Dawn of the Dead (1978)
Destiny (1921)
Dr. Cyclops (1940)
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1920)
Event Horizon (1997)
Evil Dead II (1987)
Frankenstein (1931)
Get Out (2017)
Halloween (1978)
Hereditary (2018)
Hostel (2005)
Hostel: Part II (2007)
Häxan (1922)
I Accuse (1919)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
It (2017)
It Follows (2014)
Jaws (1975)
Jurassic Park (1993)
Let the Right One In (2008)
Martyrs (2008)
Midsommar (2019)
Misery (1990)
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
One Exciting Night (1922)
Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
Poltergeist (1982)
Predator (1987)
Psycho (1960)
Rosemary's Baby (1968)
Take Shelter (2011)
The Avenging Conscience (1914)
The Babadook (2014)
The Battery (2012)
The Blair Witch Project (1999)
The Boogie Man Will Get You (1942)
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)
The Dyatlov Pass Incident (2013)
The Evil Dead (1981)
The Exorcist (1973)
The Fly (1958)
The Fly (1986)
The Golem (1920)
The Haunted Castle (1921)
The Mist (2007)
The Mummy (1932)
The Penalty (1920)
The Phantom Carriage (1921)
The Queen of Spades (1916)
The Ritual (2017)
The Shining (1980)
The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
The Student of Prague (1913)
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
The Thing (1982)
The Witch (2015)
They Drive by Night (1938)
Waxworks (1924)
We Are What We Are (2013)
Witchfinder General (1968)
X the Unknown (1956)

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I just caught up with the remaining 'Nightmare on Elm Street' entries that I hadn't seen and am doing the same with the Halloween series. Last year, I tackled 4-6, which was not a whole lot of fun.

Halloween H20 (1998) - 5/10 - 20 years later, Myers comes once again for Laurie Strode... and her son and his friends. This was obviously inspired by Scream, tone-wise and story-wise, so much that it often felt more like an entry in that franchise than the Halloween franchise. I didn't really mind that, though, since I like the Scream movies enough. It's not very scary, but at least it's watchable. It was nice to see Jamie Lee Curtis back and it had a strong ending.

Halloween Resurrection (2002) - 2/10 - Where to begin? It starts with a ridiculous retcon of the end of the last movie to explain why Michael didn't actually die and which basically ruins that ending for future rewatches. It follows that up by ruining the Laurie Strode character that's central to the franchise. Next, it changes gears completely and moves to the meat of the plot, which involves a bunch of attention-seeking young people who win a competition to be on a live internet reality show and spend a night in the abandoned Myers house, with cameras rolling, coincidentally the same night that Michael decides to return to it. Believe it or not, it actually gets even stupider from there, such as Busta Rhymes trying out kung fu against Michael and a room full of young people watching online and cheering when Michael "dies." This had to be awful in 2002, but it's aged even worse with its early internet/reality show fascination and desperation to be modern and cool. By the end of the movie, your intelligence has been thoroughly insulted in a way that even the other worst entries in the franchise don't do.

Halloween (2007) - 4/10 - This remake of the original wasn't quite as bad as I thought that it would be. It's unnecessary, it takes too long to get going, it feels like two separate movies (a prequel and remake in one) and it's nonsensical in places, but at least it feels a bit like the original in look and tone and tries to add a little explanation and thoughtfulness. Unfortunately, because of that, the execution and knowing how it ends, it's not very scary or even all that creepy. It doesn't compare to the original, but it's not one of the worst in the franchise and isn't the insult to it that the entry 5 years earlier was.

Halloween II (2009) - 3/10 - Where to begin? It's 30 minutes too long, most of it due to pointless dream and fantasy sequences. It has almost no story. It has little style. Nearly the whole thing takes place at night. No character is likable, not even Laurie Strode, who was an adorable babysitter worth rooting for in the last one and has become a slacker party girl with psychological and anger issues. Finally, it's not fun and, unlike the previous one, has nothing to try to say or evoke, yet feels remarkably pretentious, anyways. I'm starting to think that what Rob Zombie got right with the remake was due more to riding on the original's coattails and that this is the mess that happens when that's gone and the film is fully his own.

The only entry in the franchise left to see is last year's Halloween. I may save that for Halloween night, though, and didn't want to wait that long to put down my thoughts on the previous four.

Last edited:
Reactions: Violenza Domestica

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I just caught up with the remaining 'Nightmare on Elm Street' entries that I hadn't seen and am doing the same with the Halloween series. Last year, I tackled 4-6, which was not a whole lot of fun.

Halloween H20 (1998) - 5/10 - 20 years later, Myers comes once again for Laurie Strode... and her son and his friends. This was obviously inspired by Scream, tone-wise and story-wise, so much that it often felt more like an entry in that franchise than the Halloween franchise. I didn't really mind that, though, since I like the Scream movies enough. It's not very scary, but at least it's watchable. It was nice to see Jamie Lee Curtis back and it had a strong ending.

Halloween Resurrection (2002) - 2/10 - Where to begin? It starts with a ridiculous retcon of the end of the last movie to explain why Michael didn't actually die and which basically ruins that ending for future rewatches. It follows that up by ruining the Laurie Strode character that's central to the franchise. Next, it changes gears completely and moves to the meat of the plot, which involves a bunch of attention-seeking young people who win a competition to be on a live internet reality show and spend a night in the abandoned Myers house, with cameras rolling, coincidentally the same night that Michael decides to return to it. Believe it or not, it actually gets even stupider from there, such as Busta Rhymes trying out kung fu against Michael and a room full of young people watching online and cheering when Michael "dies." This had to be awful in 2002, but it's aged even worse with its early internet/reality show fascination and desperation to be modern and cool. By the end of the movie, your intelligence has been thoroughly insulted in a way that even the other worst entries in the franchise don't do.

Halloween (2007) - 4/10 - This remake of the original wasn't quite as bad as I thought that it would be. It's unnecessary, it takes too long to get going, it feels like two separate movies (a prequel and remake in one) and it's nonsensical in places, but at least it feels a bit like the original in look and tone and tries to add a little explanation and thoughtfulness. Unfortunately, because of that, the execution and knowing how it ends, it's not very scary or even all that creepy. It doesn't compare to the original, but it's not one of the worst in the franchise and isn't the insult to it that the entry 5 years earlier was.

Halloween II (2009) - 3/10 - Where to begin? It's 30 minutes too long, most of it due to pointless dream and fantasy sequences. It has almost no story. It has little style. Nearly the whole thing takes place at night. No character is likable, not even Laurie Strode, who was an adorable babysitter worth rooting for in the last one and has become a slacker party girl with psychological and anger issues. Finally, it's not fun and, unlike the previous one, has nothing to try to say or evoke, yet feels remarkably pretentious, anyways. I'm starting to think that what Rob Zombie got right with the remake was due more to riding on the original's coattails and that this is the mess that happens when that's gone and the film is fully his own.

The only entry in the franchise left to see is last year's Halloween. I may save that for Halloween night, though, and didn't want to wait that long to put down my thoughts on the previous four.

Resurrection is probably my favorite to put on and just relax to. It's so bad it's great. The most recent Halloween is beyond awful and has no redeeming qualities like Resurrection. I can't believe they're going to try and make another one.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Resurrection is probably my favorite to put on and just relax to. It's so bad it's great. The most recent Halloween is beyond awful and has no redeeming qualities like Resurrection. I can't believe they're going to try and make another one.

Resurrection has redeeming qualities? I must've missed them.

Yes, they're making two followups to last year's sequel. Halloween Kills comes out in 2020 and Halloween Ends comes out in 2021.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Are you serious?

Halloween Resurrection had not a single redeeming quality. It was a disaster from start to finish and is easily the worst of series which is impressive since Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 and Halloween 5 are terrible

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad