Movies: Horror Movie Discussion

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Just saw The Void.

I'd been looking forward to this for a while, and was admittedly a bit let down by it, although it was still enjoyable. If you're a fan of body horror, definitely check it out. It definitely doesn't disappoint on that front.

Doesn't look too bad, I'll have to check it out. Theres definitely a handful of horror movies/thrillers I want to see this year. Some of them are sure to be bad but usually we get one or two solid gems.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
I guess there is a new Friday the 13th game out (maybe not new, I don't know), so my son had been bugging me to watch the movies. On Saturday, we marathon'd 1-7.

Man, these movies are worse than I even remember.

4 and 6 are good, the rest meh. I don't even want to continue after 7. He keeps asking, I just pretend I am deaf.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I guess there is a new Friday the 13th game out (maybe not new, I don't know), so my son had been bugging me to watch the movies. On Saturday, we marathon'd 1-7.

4 and 6 are good, the rest meh. I don't even want to continue after 7. He keeps asking, I just pretend I am deaf.

Yeah most of them don't really hold up today......and the newish reboot that came out in 09 wasn't very good either

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Finally watched Psycho for the first time last night and it lived up to the hype. Only wish I hadn't known all of the twists/major events ahead of time.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
What was the last slasher film that wasn't tired/underwhelming? Feels like the subgenre has been starved for something fresh since Scream.

I guess It Follows takes some slasher elements and does some interesting things with them.

As does Don't Breathe.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

I still enjoy F13 movies

Sure they are poorly acted and overall poorly made but I still find fun in them

As you mentioned 4 and 6 are best. Rest are watchable though with parts 7 and parts 8 being weak (I hated 7 more then 8)

Cant stand part 5 ,, Like Halloween 3 I just imagine it doesn't exist

Jason Goes to Hell and Jason X are god awful and unwatchable and remake was lousy. Jason vs Freddy served its purpose and was it appears last gasp of air from either franchise sadly

Maybe its because I grew up watching all these 70's/80's horror movies on VHS from video store and loved them that I can still watch them

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I liked The Void.

I'm in the middle of my own version of Shark Week, which I started doing a couple of years ago. So far I've watched 47 Meters Down, Bait, The Reef, the Rifftrax version of The Last Shark, and The Shallows. I still have Deep Blue Sea, Open Water, and Shark Night to go and then I close it out with Jaws.

I've also watched Noroi: The Curse (very good) and Blood Punch (decent) over the last week or so.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Re-watched the 2003 Texas Chainsaw Massacre tonight. Its still not too bad. Jessica Biel tho :nod: Its still better than the other recent TCM flicks. I wonder how the new one will turn out

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Maybe its because I grew up watching all these 70's/80's horror movies on VHS from video store and loved them that I can still watch them

I, too, definitely have a fondness and/or higher tolerance for R-rated 80s movies because of the limited access and watching something that I was underage for. I'd get home from school and immediately bike to one our two close-by VHS rentals, rent an R-rated movie and finish it just before my parents and younger siblings would get home for dinner. I'd then hide the cassette in my room and return it the next day and get another. I still get that thrill that I'm being a little naughty and "grown-up" when I watch an R-rated 80s movie, especially if it's something gory like a Friday the 13th. Some of them may be awful, but I can still enjoy them. It could be all nostalgia or it could be some that and some that R-rated films were more fun in the late 70s to early 90s. It's hard for me to tell. I just know that I can enjoy most from that era, but later R-rated movies, like the later 'Friday' films are, as you said, nearly unwatchable.

I'm in the middle of my own version of Shark Week, which I started doing a couple of years ago. So far I've watched 47 Meters Down, Bait, The Reef, the Rifftrax version of The Last Shark, and The Shallows. I still have Deep Blue Sea, Open Water, and Shark Night to go and then I close it out with Jaws.

What, no Jaws: The Revenge? You could watch it, then Jaws 3D, then Jaws 2, then Jaws and the films would keep getting better and better! In fact, maybe TP should've done that with the Friday the 13th movies.

Last edited:

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Watched the Babadook last night after wanting to for years...

I liked it, but I am a little confused.

For those who have seen it

[spoil]Is she keeping the Babadook as a pet? what the hell? [/spoil]

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Watched the Babadook last night after wanting to for years...

I liked it, but I am a little confused.

For those who have seen it

[spoil]Is she keeping the Babadook as a pet? what the hell? [/spoil]

[spoil]The Babadook symbolizes the mother's grief, which can be contained but will never fully go away, if I'm not mistaken. The mother was the real monster.[/spoil]

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Hated Babadook. Could have been better. That ****ing little kid was soooo annoying, not even in a good movie way. He was such a brat. Really ruined the movie for me :laugh:

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada

The original Friday the 13th > the rest IMO.

The original is the only one I care to own on Blu-Ray.

TyToff

Feb 20, 2016
Finally watched Eden Lake last night. Really good movie but an incredibly upsetting movie to watch. They do a really good job of making you empathize with the protagonists and absolutely despise the antagonists by the end. I found myself hating Brett, the main antagonist, more and more intensely as the movie went on.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Finally watched Eden Lake last night. Really good movie but an incredibly upsetting movie to watch. They do a really good job of making you empathize with the protagonists and absolutely despise the antagonists by the end. I found myself hating Brett, the main antagonist, more and more intensely as the movie went on.

Just watched this after reading this post and reading more about the film. I thought it was terrible.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Re-watched Covenant last night. Still enjoyable. Raises more questions than Prometheus but still a solid Alien flick. Glad to see the Xenomorph back, the other versions where cool.

Had a good dose of Sci-Fi, Action and Horror.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Apparently a 50th Anniversary Edition blu-ray of the original "Night of The Living Dead" is being released on October 17th from Mill Creek.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=295117

Personally, I'll stick with the much better Japanese blu-ray (which is Region A blu-ray player friendly) release via Happinet until the supposed Criterion release of this comes out who know when. But I figured I'd let you guys know about this in case you want/need it before Halloween, or want it cheap, and/or don't wanna import the Japanese version. Even though the Japanese version is still the definitive blu-ray release of this film...for now.

TyToff

Feb 20, 2016
Annabelle: Creation was surprisingly good and a huge improvement from the first one. Great experience watching it at the theatre in Ultra AVX.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Hated Babadook. Could have been better. That ****ing little kid was soooo annoying, not even in a good movie way. He was such a brat. Really ruined the movie for me :laugh:

Oh man, I'd make the argument that it was the best performance by a child actor in any movie I've ever seen. Our opinions couldn't be further apart on this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad