Movies: Horror Movie Discussion

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Watched Autopsy of Jane Doe on Thursday, was pleasantly surprised. 3rd act was meh but the build up was well done and I found myself super interested in the mystery around "Jane Doe"

it's definitely worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I've now watched Train To Busan four times in the last week or so since it came on Netflix Canada.

I absolutely love this film and just can't get enough of it. I could be wrong or forgetting something, but I think this film is the best zombie movie period.

Agreed. Great film. The rest of the crap that passes as horror today is way below the awesomeness of this movie. I noted that an animated prequel to this movie was released today on itunes (same director apparently). Anyone seen this?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I watched Apollo 18 the other night and it's very forgettable. It's your standard "lost footage" film, except that the lost footage is supposed to be from 1974 and an 18th Apollo flight to the Moon (that didn't happen in reality, but the premise of the film is that it was done secretly and covered up). It does a pretty good job of looking like Apollo mission footage (in film quality, angles and editing), but there's hardly any story or horror. The characters are uninteresting, there's not much suspense and the "horror" elements are very underwhelming (in scariness and number of scenes). I definitely do not recommend the film unless you just really love found footage films, coverups and bad horror (and not in the "so bad it's good" way).

Watched Autopsy of Jane Doe on Thursday, was pleasantly surprised. 3rd act was meh but the build up was well done and I found myself super interested in the mystery around "Jane Doe"

it's definitely worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

Yeah, the autopsy--the mystery of what happened to her--is what makes the first 2/3rds fascinating. Once the mystery is solved, that evaporates and it becomes rather generic modern horror. The film works much, much better when it's a mystery than when it becomes a horror film.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Does anyone have any news on when Leatherface is coming out?

Leatherface-the-texas-chainsaw-massacre-3.jpg

January 12, 1990 :sarcasm:

Seriously this was last good TCM movie IMO

Been nothing but disappointments since

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Yeah, the autopsy--the mystery of what happened to her--is what makes the first 2/3rds fascinating. Once the mystery is solved, that evaporates and it becomes rather generic modern horror. The film works much, much better when it's a mystery than when it becomes a horror film.

Agreed, I was really into the autopsy and them finding all these weird things. Once the **** started to go down is when the remainder of the movie turned into a meh-to-okay horror movie. The build up was great tho

Agreed. Great film. The rest of the crap that passes as horror today is way below the awesomeness of this movie. I noted that an animated prequel to this movie was released today on itunes (same director apparently). Anyone seen this?

No, I'll have to check it out though!

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I just watched Intruder for the first time. It's a 1989 slasher movie about a killer on the loose during a supermarket night shift. It was produced by Sam Raimi and even has him and his brother Ted playing roles, with a cameo by Bruce Campbell. It's a low-budget B movie and the first 1/3rd is laughably bad, acting-wise and direction-wise. Once you get used to it, realize that it doesn't take itself seriously and you really start to see Sam Raimi's influence, though, it starts to become enjoyable and you can see why it's supposedly become a bit of a campy cult classic. The killings are gory, but, in Raimi fashion, also darkly funny. Whereas slasher movies tend to lose steam and run out of ideas near the end, this gets better as it goes along, stays fresh and actually includes a few twists. Anyways, it's worth checking out if you're a fan of slasher movies and/or of Raimi's comedy horror style (The Evil Dead 2, Army of Darkness, Drag Me to Hell, Ash vs Evil Dead).

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Anyone seen "Life" ?

Watched it tonight, it still has some of the stereotypical horror tropes but I really enjoyed it. It sets up the sense of being traps and dread very well, doesn't rely on jumpscares.

It got compared to Alien, for obvious reasons but I love Alien, so this movie sat well with me

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I watched Tucker & Dale vs. Evil last night and enjoyed it more than I thought that I would. It's really not a horror movie at all, but a parody of them. I sort of had that sense, but I thought that it would mine its laughs by making fun of hillbillies and with crude humor, so I was delighted that it was just the opposite. The hillbillies are innocent, thoughtful and somewhat smart while the college kids passing through are the dumb ones, who, when they see every horror cliche (unkempt hillbillies, chainsaws, run-down cabins in the woods, etc.), mistakenly assume the worst. I found it pretty funny, and I don't laugh much at most modern comedies. I'd rate it up there with the better horror comedies. Supposedly, a sequel is in the works.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I loved Tucker and Dale vs Evil. Easily one of my favorite horror comedies.

I watched another horror comedy over the weekend called The Final Girls. It wasn't bad but nowhere near Tucker and Dale.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
They're remaking Flatliners? What an unnecessary remake. It doesn't even look any different and the cast is well below the caliber of the original. Who thought that this was a good idea?

Oh, despite it being called a remake and reboot in various places, it sounds like it's actually a sequel, with Kiefer Sutherland reprising his character from the original, probably as a professor who plants the idea in the students' heads. Still, it seems too similar and very unnecessary.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I watch a lot of movies and most of them are horror or documentary so I've seen a bunch of good ones lately:

Raw
The Devil's Candy
The Blackcoat's Daughter (Amazon Prime)
Among the Living (Shudder)
Unearthed & Untold: The Path to Pet Sematary (documentary, Amazon Prime)
Them (Shudder)
The Belko Experiment

Also some ok ones that were better than I expected:

Hell House LLC (Amazon Prime)
Eat Locals
Last Girl Standing (Shudder)
Dig Two Graves (Netflix)
Lake Bodom (Shudder)

And one I'm still conflicted about: The Lure. I think I liked it but it was super, super weird. If a subtitled Polish language musical about killer mermaids who join a cabaret sounds like your thing I recommend it.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Looks underwhelming just like all the recent one's

TCM franchise should be put to rest at this point

What was the last slasher film that wasn't tired/underwhelming? Feels like the subgenre has been starved for something fresh since Scream.

I guess It Follows takes some slasher elements and does some interesting things with them.

Last edited:

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I watched Life last night. It was very average, especially considering the cast.

No, its not a movie about killer snowmen monster things, thank god :laugh:

Looks really good tho

The book was excellent. The whole series is really good so I'd imagine if this movie is successful it will probably become a franchise.

What was the last slasher film that wasn't tired/underwhelming? Feels like the subgenre has been starved for something fresh since Scream.

I guess It Follows takes some slasher elements and does some interesting things with them.

Prevenge. I liked it a lot and it's definitely a fresh take on the slasher movie.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Just saw The Void.

void.jpg

I'd been looking forward to this for a while, and was admittedly a bit let down by it, although it was still enjoyable. If you're a fan of body horror, definitely check it out. It definitely doesn't disappoint on that front.

[SPOIL]It's tough to judge a movie like this because it is something that knows exactly what it is. It is unbelievably vague on plot and goes instead for atmosphere and that whole sense of the "unknown", on top of the obvious draw of the body horror.

My issue with it was that I did not find the set-up interesting enough to care about what exactly the void was or care that much about the whole rebirth aspect of people coming back as these horribly disfigured creatures. I can really appreciate Sci-Fi and horror movies that leave things ambiguous, hinting at some greater unknown, but only if the set-up is interesting enough for me to care about it.

I wasn't the biggest fan of the whole doctor being behind everything aspect of it and thought it lost steam because of that. Like, I did want more closure from it as to learn more about why these things were happening, as I'm sure a lot of other people did, but I just really wasn't a fan of that whole direction. The failed experiment aspect of it was pretty cool and led to some great moments, but once they started getting into the whole thing about bringing back people's daughters, I lost some interest. Also, the twist with the pregnant girl carrying his baby was just dumb and really added nothing IMO.

The final scene with the doctor in front of that triangle was just... bad. I'm not sure how else to describe it. It was straight out of a bad B movie. The final final scene with the couple standing in that alternate realm also didn't do much for me, and I thought the addition of some very noticeable green screen took away from what had been a fantastic practical special effects movie.

I thought the cult itself was a bit uninspired as well in terms of the design. Not bad, just a bit meh in a movie with such amazingly designed creatures.

As for the good though, the atmosphere was certainly on point throughout the whole movie. The effects absolutely top notch and the body horror did not disappoint. Carpenter and Lovecraft inspirations left and right, but it definitely did it justice. Some absolutely grotesque looking abominations, and it played off of the human aspect of them still being present PERFECTLY. I loved that scene where that faceless experiment is just repeatedly impaling his own head on that pike, trying to end his misery to no avail. Really, all the creatures were great. Wish they hadn't spoiled the nurse lying on the operating table with tentacles sticking out everywhere. That would have been a great moment if I hadn't seen it already going in.[/SPOIL]

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad