Hornqvist hit on McAvoy | No supplemental discipline

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I didn’t like the hit but it’s not against the rules so that’s where it ended.

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
The hit is against the rules. If the face is a part of the head, and it is, then that hit was illegal and should have gotten 2, possibly bumped up to 5 for blood on the ice.

He didn't get a suspension because 1: Penguins, and 2: things can be against the rules and not rise to the level of supplemental discipline. Not the same as the hit being legal.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
That game was really entertaining. I guess, not for Pens fans. I like both teams but I just thought that it had a bit of everything and it had a bit of a playoff atmosphere for a regular season game. I know that is not including a comment on the two players, Hornqvist and McAvoy but didn't McAvoy give him a good 'shot' back later on?

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
That game was really entertaining. I guess, not for Pens fans. I like both teams but I just thought that it had a bit of everything and it had a bit of a playoff atmosphere for a regular season game. I know that is not including a comment on the two players, Hornqvist and McAvoy but didn't McAvoy give him a good 'shot' back later on?
He did, but "ice justice" and disciplinary policy are two different things

And I loved the game, obviously, I just don't like the precedent thje NHL is setting here

Reactions: BruinLVGA

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
Following the "He should have been suspended" logic, all any player would have to do to not get hit is to put their head down toward the oncoming player. Ridiculous.

Reactions: SlimCharles

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
The hit is against the rules. If the face is a part of the head, and it is, then that hit was illegal and should have gotten 2, possibly bumped up to 5 for blood on the ice.

He didn't get a suspension because 1: Penguins, and 2: things can be against the rules and not rise to the level of supplemental discipline. Not the same as the hit being legal.

The bolded is the stupidest myth on here.

SlimCharles

Kings & Sabres
Dec 7, 2011
Los Angeles
Following the "He should have been suspended" logic, all any player would have to do to not get hit is to put their head down toward the oncoming player. Ridiculous.
Yeah, pretty much what I was thinking yesterday. Don't wanna take a huge hit? Just stare at the ice.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

Because the only way to stop a player is to hit him @ full force square in the middle of the forehead...

Reactions: Chief Nine

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
How do you suggest a player locates the puck WITHOUT looking down?

You can't look at your feet by tilting your head slightly down? Like every other player does?

If you need to bend your whole body forward to do that, consider a diet

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
How do you suggest a player locates the puck WITHOUT looking down?

Most players glance down. McAvoy's head was down for a while. That is the difference. These hits are rare because most players are smart enough to not have their head down for extended periods of time(especially when they see an opponent making a bee line for them).

Get over yourself. Nothing is going to happen because of that hit. There is no conspiracy. McAvoy will hopefully learn to keep his head up.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
There’s a difference between a quick change of position and what happened here. McAvoy had his head down seconds prior to Hornqvist even being in his range and Hornqvist continued to follow through on him while he was in a vulnerable position.

What you’re saying is basically what players do when they turn towards the boards to avoid getting blown up nowadays. And guess what? When a player turns their back the opposing player lets up, which is what should have happened in this case. Except Hornqvist was mad at the game’s outcome and wanted to exact some revenge.

Reactions: Top Shelf Wrister

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
This strawman needs a little more straw. It's looking pretty hollow.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
The NHL rarely suspends if there’s no injury - it has to be a really bad hit, and this wasn’t. I’d rather they suspend more on the dirtiness of the play than the result (in which case this would be an ~2 game suspension), but they don’t.

If McAvoy was concussed, Hornqvist sits 2+ games. But he got right back up, so no suspension. That’s just the way the NHL works :/

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Except it’s not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad