Hornqvist hit on McAvoy | No supplemental discipline

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
I’m not completely familiar with the rule but I don’t like aiming your shoulder straight into his face. JMO though.
I fully agree with this. Had he hit him in the chest, a whole different & legal hit. Simply put Hornqvist should not have hit him (the onus to make sure that the head is not hit is on the player delivering the hit).

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Looks bad and intentional. Mcavoy is an up and coming star dman in this league and shouldnt be hit in the head like that. I like Hornquist and all but has to take responsibility there and should see a game or two

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
It's legal cause it's not a elbow. He didn't leave his feet. It's just a nasty hit.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Keep your head up and it doesn’t happen. This is exactly like the bullshit that happens in the NFL. How can a defender running full speed determine if a guy is going to turtle at the last possible second? Hornqvist would have hit him in the chest if McAvoy wouldn’t have turtled/was looking up ice.

Can’t really say something like that is intentional. The reactionary time to change what happened is not possible. It’s not like he purposely jumped/aimed for his head.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Shoulder straight to his head. Horny lined him up the whole way. Glad McAvoy is ok.

McAvoy has his head down watching the puck. It doesn’t make it ok but you have to keep your head up for your own safety.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
It's legal cause it's not a elbow. He didn't leave his feet. It's just a nasty hit.
But how about the principal point of impact? He caught nothing but head.
By the way, it doesn't matter what part of the body one hits with, it's the part of the body that gets hit that matters, rules-wise.

Reactions: Thrive

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
It's such a fast game and hard to change your angle/area where you're targeting at the last second. I don't think Hornqvist is a dirty player but at the same time you can see McAvoy is under pressure to make a play, his head is a bit down focused on making a play - he'll take the hit. Unfortunately for him he did get rocked in the head. Hopefully he will okay going forward, terrific defenceman - can't believe he went so late in the first round. Bruins got a great one!

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Keep your head up and it doesn’t happen. This is exactly like the bull**** that happens in the NFL. How can a defender running full speed determine if a guy is going to turtle at the last possible second? Hornqvist would have hit him in the chest if McAvoy wouldn’t have turtled/was looking up ice.

Can’t really say something like that is intentional. The reactionary time to change what happened is not possible. It’s not like he purposely jumped/aimed for his head.
"Turtled"? :facepalm:

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
McAvoy needs to keep his head up, but would anyone care to deny that Hornqvist had a pretty accurate idea of exactly where McAvoy's head was when he threw that elbow? Dirty and intentional.

I think it's kind of a coin toss whether he gets more than a fine, but the league really needs to do something about this kind of casual disregard of opposing players' health, so I doubt Hornqvist gets nothing out of this.

Hornqvist didn't need to throw the elbow like that, most players seeing a guy along the boards like that line up for a hip check or push them into the boards with the forearm or shoulder. The elbow was dirty, and even if it wasn't deliberate intent to injure (and I'll give Hornqvist the benefit of the doubt here and assume it wasn't) it's still clearly disregard for the health and safety of another player, and he should get something for that.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Looks bad and intentional. Mcavoy is an up and coming star dman in this league and shouldnt be hit in the head like that. I like Hornquist and all but has to take responsibility there and should see a game or two
That should mean 0%, so if a 4th liner, or 6th depth D takes that hit and it should be viewed differently?

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Hornqvist can pay for McAvoys plastic surgery because it looked like part of his nose was just hanging there after the hit.

Would that make everyone happy?

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
McAvoy needs to keep his head up, but would anyone care to deny that Hornqvist had a pretty accurate idea of exactly where McAvoy's head was when he threw that elbow? Dirty and intentional.

I think it's kind of a coin toss whether he gets more than a fine, but the league really needs to do something about this kind of casual disregard of opposing players' health, so I doubt Hornqvist gets nothing out of this.

Re bolded... I hope you are right. This in my opinion deserves a couple of games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad