Horizon Forbidden West

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
I finished the platinum on the PS5 version and I'm about 5 or 6 hours from finishing the platinum for the PS4 version. In between doing those, I went back and got the platinum for HZD, although I haven't done the Frozen Wilds DLC yet. I'll go do that once I finish the PS4 plat for HFW. Man, the loading times for the PS4 are torturous!

One main spoiler free suggestion I have for people is to finish off all of the Rebel Camps as soon as you can, as there's a legendary weapon reward at the end and you can get it decently early.

I hated the Pit Master challenge "Energy Surge Chain".

Edit: Finished the PS4 plat last night at about 3am!

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
just finished it last night bit is better than the original in every single way possible and I still have only done about 60% of what you can do, nthere is just so much to do.

I will say I say the twist at the end coming a mile away.

I c*an't wait for #3 because #3 is absolutely coming.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
just finished it last night bit is better than the original in every single way possible and I still have only done about 60% of what you can do, nthere is just so much to do.

I will say I say the twist at the end coming a mile away.

I c*an't wait for #3 because #3 is absolutely coming.
I stopped doing the main quest and am just doing side quest because of all the cool weapons I'm getting.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I stopped doing the main quest and am just doing side quest because of all the cool weapons I'm getting.
Still plugging along with the side quests (over 100 hours played now), and there's still that left peninsula I haven't visited. I feel like I'll end up with like 200 hours by the time I get around to beating it.

Although TBH, I haven't been impressed with the weapons I've gained from most of the side quests...quit trying to make tripcasters and gauntlets happen game, it's not going to happen. I still think the crafting is complete poop, I'm trying to get 3 salmon skins, they only occur in one small pond apparently, and yet, I can only get the random salmon bone.

I think so far, I absolutely hate fighting against the snake machines and turtles, as both feel like weapon sponges.

Beat all the caldrons, but honestly, meh. I still need to get parts to unlock the overrides, so it feels like more tedious steps. That's probably my biggest knock, the game can be so tedious with fetch quests, "but wait, there's more!", and some quests have you criss-crossing the map, after awhile, I'm just fast travelling everywhere, and even skipping some of the cuts scenes.

Reactions: Jovavic

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Short answer; all i see you post is contrarian opinions to appear smart.
I'm glad I have this evidence that I was on the cutting edge of this because its now basically a popular opinion that these games are cookie cutter, generic AAA games.

Theres just no soul to them.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
So, when did Ashley Birch steal your heart?

You know, it's weird to obsess over something you don't like, right?
Without looking it up im going to guess thats the voice actor for Aloy. Aloy does actually suck, but thats not why I dislike it. Actually it is, Aloys talking to herself every 5 seconds is annoying, but thats not the main reason.

"Why are you so obsessed" is a classic argument. Who cares if I'm obsessed? Stick to the facts ladies and gentleman.

By the way you can actually look, I only ever commented on the first page of the this comment thread. You probably remember my comments because this game was just that disposable.

Although, the more I think about it...I have every reason to care. The top guy at Sony now was the head developer for this franchise, it's probably going to be their main focus. We'll be getting way more Horizons and less Bloodbornes.

Last edited:
Reactions: x Tame Impala

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Without looking it up im going to guess thats the voice actor for Aloy. Aloy does actually suck, but thats not why I dislike it. Actually it is, Aloys talking to herself every 5 seconds is annoying, but thats not the main reason.

"Why are you so obsessed" is a classic argument. Who cares if I'm obsessed? Stick to the facts ladies and gentleman.

By the way you can actually look, I only ever commented on the first page of the this comment thread. You probably remember my comments because this game was just that disposable.

Although, the more I think about it...I have every reason to care. The top guy at Sony now was the head developer for this franchise, it's probably going to be their main focus. We'll be getting way more Horizons and less Bloodbornes.

We'll stick to the facts when you find an argument that isn't completely nonsense, you hack.

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
I finished the game after spending no less than 200 hours on it. I'm not sure how I would rate it. This game made me mad on many occasions.

Cons:
the majority of stuff which wasn't part of the main quest felt like a chore to me:
-that chess like game: I gave up on it very quickly. I was annoyed at how hard it was to win. I wanted it to be a cute little game in which I can turn by brain off and win anyway as a cool distraction from the main game but no, you have to think! lol And what I'm gonna say here applies to a lot of other things in this game: there is just way too much of it. I didn't buy this game to play chess
-the difficulty of the game is poorly designed. Basically every practicing task is infinitely harder than the core fighting stuff: it's like I'm playing in a hockey league with 5 year olds but I practice with elite NHL players.
-Melee combat is a fail. High risk little reward
- Long races in which you lead for 95% of the duration only to get overtaken just before the finishing line. It didn't take me too many tries to win but it was so unpleasant I ignored those after wining the second one.
-While hunting was tedious, fishing was a nightmare for me. I kept being reminded of the same advices over and over again throughout the game, yet it was never explained anywhere that there was a way to catch fish with may hands. I caught them with arrows and my success rate was like 0.3%. I wasted a lot of time upgrading stuff in retrospect.
- The puzzle stuff , exploring the relic ruins: I think I got mad trying to find literally each one of them. They were all too hard to solve for my liking. I wouldn't really count that as a con though. I'm just not into puzzles much.
- I wish Aloy would mostly go to sleep in the evening. Fighting in dark settings was not fun so I just kept going back to shelters to go forward in time.

Pros:
-varied weapons arsenal. lots of game changing abilities.
-cool stealth elements with smoke bombs and hiding in bushes
-clever machines designs where you aim certain parts to weaken them or to extract said part to complete a quest or craft stuff. combat is fun
-the music in important fights isn't unnecessarily irritating like in so many games
-riding the glider is fun
-visually stunning at times, especially Aloy in her Vindicator outfit. The characters look real.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I think my biggest problem with the game was there was too much of it.

Zero Dawn was great because even for an open world game, it felt like a sweetspot where I had my fill of the game while not leaving a ridiculous amount of stuff unfinished. I think I clocked in at 30 hours after the DLC, got a good amount of the trophies and finished everything but the most tedious sidequests/hunting grounds.

This game? Guerrilla fell into the same trap every open world game does, which is to fill your map with a bunch of nonsensical side stuff that barely offers any reward. The other big change is in the first game, the tallnecks once overridden showed you where exactly everything was in that given area. Now it just shows you question marks which is annoying..

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I think my biggest problem with the game was there was too much of it.

Zero Dawn was great because even for an open world game, it felt like a sweetspot where I had my fill of the game while not leaving a ridiculous amount of stuff unfinished. I think I clocked in at 30 hours after the DLC, got a good amount of the trophies and finished everything but the most tedious sidequests/hunting grounds.

This game? Guerrilla fell into the same trap every open world game does, which is to fill your map with a bunch of nonsensical side stuff that barely offers any reward. The other big change is in the first game, the tallnecks once overridden showed you where exactly everything was in that given area. Now it just shows you question marks which is annoying..
Barely offers any reward?!?! I got my best weapons from side quests. Like an all enemy one shot kill bow,

Aloy also grew up an outcast with zero social skills or people other than Rost to talk to, her talking to herself seems completely normal to me.
This.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
After playing this game for like 2 hours and selling it I got my hands on it again for free.

Once again everybody is a helpless idiot or an evil idiot and Aloy has to save them. Now as we get into the mission we start the boring ass uncharted climbing session. It's been almost a year since this game came out. Is anybody ready to admit is not good?

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
I've been playing for about two weeks and I am about 20 hours in, I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far, some cool new machines and weapons, not so sure about the new "bad guys" but I guess I'll just have to see where that goes

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I've been playing for about two weeks and I am about 20 hours in, I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far, some cool new machines and weapons, not so sure about the new "bad guys" but I guess I'll just have to see where that goes
There's no right way to play the game. Just explore and have fun. The side quests alone are some of the best written sci-fi/fantasy I've experienced in a LONG time.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I loved this game. Did every side quest except the chess mini game and the hunting grounds. I don’t enjoy the timed aspect of the hunting grounds.

It’s funny to see people complaint s out the open world size. I am just the opposite. I am always a bigger is better person but I love open world single player games and love when I can put a ton of hours into a great game like HFW. Minor spoiler….. (sorry, don’t know how to do the spolier tag)
I was actually kind of disappointed by the large section of the map that was just water.

I’ll probably play through again on new game plus eventually. Really looking forward to a HFW dlc. I just hope it gets announced soon, and that it’s a big dlc.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I definitely got fatigued by this game, sort of like Valhalla, which I just recently started up again and finished this time. I think the key, for me anyway, is not to chase everything on the map but to stick to the quest area and not venture off too far, always keep moving the quest forward.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
After playing this game for like 2 hours and selling it I got my hands on it again for free.

Once again everybody is a helpless idiot or an evil idiot and Aloy has to save them. Now as we get into the mission we start the boring ass uncharted climbing session. It's been almost a year since this game came out. Is anybody ready to admit is not good?
There's a bigger story going on and a reason why she's helping everyone out. But if you gave up on it...🤷‍♂️

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
DLC for April 19th confirmed. Game may not be for everyone but outside of Spider-Man 2 and Tears of Kingdom this is what I'm most excited for in 2023 so far.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Moments like these just reinforces why i don't buy games on release. That's a slap to the owners of the PS4 version.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
As this games greatest hater I’m back to give this game another chance now that it’s on PlayStation Plus.

They keep saying saviour of meridian every 5 seconds. Please stop.

Also, the new patches help a lot. The game when I played it at launch had insanely bad anti aliasing. Apparently they patched in the anti-aliasing from Zero Dawn which people complained was too blurry. It is a bit blurry but it’s preferable, I just turn up the sharpening.

Also the 40 fps mode is excellent. I’m using it on a free sync PC monitor which unfortunately the PS5 doesn’t recognize as VRR, however it recognizes it at 120 HZ, so the 4K, 40 fps mode still kicks in. It’s a huge step up in resolution from the 60 fps mode and feels waaay smoother than the 30 fps mode. Game changer. I might actually play this game now.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Okay a quick criticism before I really get underway.

I finally did the embassy quest, it’s really suffers from Skyrim civil war syndrome. It’s supposed to be an epic major battle, the problem is that it involves like 7 people. There needs to be more NPCs and enemies fighting each other.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Okay a quick criticism before I really get underway.

I finally did the embassy quest, it’s really suffers from Skyrim civil war syndrome. It’s supposed to be an epic major battle, the problem is that it involves like 7 people. There needs to be more NPCs and enemies fighting each other.
Embassy? You're just getting started. Hang on and have fun!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad