Horizon Forbidden West

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Short answer: Had a lot of issues with the first one. The sequel fixed none of them. Already put it on marketplace. February is too packed a month. Feels like another 7/10

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Its a slow start so far. But in fairness theres alot of mechanics and story to catch new players up on.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Short answer: Had a lot of issues with the first one. The sequel fixed none of them
That's disappointing to read. I loved the first one and if they were able to fix a lot of the game mechanics issues for the sequel while bringing all the good things from the first one, it could've been one of the best games ever made.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I'm under the impression that if you haven't played the first game you probably shouldn't play this game
I think the opening recap video is adequate plus there's a lot of Aloy discussing event of HZD in game to catch up too. Though it definitely glosses over parts.
That's disappointing to read. I loved the first one and if they were able to fix a lot of the game mechanics issues for the sequel while bringing all the good things from the first one, it could've been one of the best games ever made.
it seriously feels like a big expansion pack. I know it's a 30 hour game but it feels that similar. Like the resource gathering, upgrade system, ammo crafting everything is identical unchanged.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Short answer; all i see you post is contrarian opinions to appear smart.
I've been a horizon hater for years. I didn't unload on HZD full tilt because I got it for like 20 dollars. Forbidden West is getting both barrells (if I bother to finish it)

Edit: I do want to give this game it's fair shake so I probably will finish it.

Last edited:

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
I'm under the impression that if you haven't played the first game you probably shouldn't play this game

I loved the first game and had to watch a YouTube video to remember the story. They do a lot of catching you up but it’s not adequate.

Games awesome so far. New robots are cool so far. First boss fight was enjoyable.

Only gripe is the new grapple hook mechanic. The animations of going up to the ledge and climbing over look like absolute poop.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Short answer: Had a lot of issues with the first one. The sequel fixed none of them. Already put it on marketplace. February is too packed a month. Feels like another 7/10

Short answer; all i see you post is contrarian opinions to appear smart.
I thought the first one was mediocre, too, but if you didn't like the first one that much, why did you buy the sequel Day 1?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I thought the first one was mediocre, too, but if you didn't like the first one that much, why did you buy the sequel Day 1?
Short answer (again): I'm not hurting for money right now, I wanted to see for myself rather than from YouTube videos if it improved (I like to experience things blind), and ofc I bought it physical so I can literally just sell it and get my money back later.
I loved the first game and had to watch a YouTube video to remember the story. They do a lot of catching you up but it’s not adequate.

Games awesome so far. New robots are cool so far. First boss fight was enjoyable.

Only gripe is the new grapple hook mechanic. The animations of going up to the ledge and climbing over look like absolute poop.
I honestly don't see the point of it at this point it feels like it just slows stuff down. Maybe they make more use of it later to do something other than slowing the game down with the wall pulling sections or adding small jumps to platforming.

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Short answer (again): I'm not hurting for money right now, I wanted to see for myself rather than from YouTube videos if it improved (I like to experience things blind), and ofc I bought it physical so I can literally just sell it and get my money back later.
It's not just about the money. I'm not suffering for $70 either, but the issues I had with the first one were foundational to the game. Expecting them to completely revamp a game I thought was mediocre into something I enjoy is unrealistic IMO. Especially since a lot of other people really liked the first one and wouldn't want it to be revamped.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
90 minutes in, great so far once I switched crouch and dodge. I've only had the system a week and the X sticks already, I'm guessing a dog hair got in there already.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Lost interest pretty quickly in the first game, never enjoyed the mechanics. So i’ll be passing on this one since it’s basically the same game.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
One of the best looking games ever made for sure.

Only 2-3 hours in and now arriving in the Forbidden West section, but I'm really liking it so far. Gameplay feels good, and the controller aiming mechanic you can turn on in the settings is fun to use.

I never really got into the first games story even though I did complete it, but the gameplay and scenery alone make it worth playing. Trying to get into the story still but I find myself getting distracted during cut scenes and not really into what they're saying. Aloy is a little dull sometimes. Maybe that's just the early game cutscenes though where nothing is really happening they're just trying to introduce the story

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
I recently played the first one, it was one of the best storylines and environments created...but yeah the gameplay/gameflow and mechanics just aren't my cup of tea. I am on the fence on this one, but since I played the first recently I will definitely be using a game stop gift card i have floating around on Elden Ring instead, might get to it eventually

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I've put a decent amount of hours into it so far and am trying to wrap up early today so that I can get back to it. Enjoying it, though very much can confirm that for people who weren't exactly into the first one, this one is very similar -- improved in clear and obvious ways, but it feels like an intensified version of the first game, as you would probably expect.

One negative I'm having is that I think some bad habits I formed in putting a lot of hours into the first game have quickly re-emerged. For example, I just basically smash pressing up while climbing, and though it's nice that there's a lot more climbable options, I'm not really sure the mechanic is all that great yet.

I'm liking the challenge early on, for the most part, as well as the new machines I've encountered. I've only just tapped into the actual west.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

I admit I bounced off the first one partly due to personal "open world fatigue" at the time and partly due to personal difficulties with the controls (I was raised on mouse and keyboard so aiming intensive games on controller are typically hard for me to wrap my old man brain around).

However, I have been very tempted to pick this game up just due to how amazing it looks in motion. I probably would have, if I didn't have a bunch of games I'm already deep into.

Definitely interested to see where the story goes after watching my wife play through Zero Dawn.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I've barely scratched the surface (currently in the first town) and I was quite rusty at first re: controls, but I guess me also inadvertently having to purchase a new TV last week made for an even prettier game, as new TV is brighter, and thus can do better HDR.

PS4 version, although not without the occasional framerate slips, usually though I mostly notice them in the cut scenes.

This game is gorgeous. Loved in some of the cut scenes, where they showed Aloy blushing, and I'm guessing that they're doing some motion tracking of the voice actors, as their expressions are very convincing.

It took quite awhile to install however, ~80 GB, going to have to get a larger HD at this rate if the DLC is even half that size.

However, other than Sylens, I can't remember the other characters I've interacted with. It feels like some sort of reunion: "Hi Aloy! Hey!.....you!"

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Felt the same when running into characters from the other game lol, they do have a brief synopsis of them in the menu though and sometimes the light bulb pops and other times I'm still confused.

I've only played maybe 4 hours and after fixing my X button it's been smooth sailing. I do like how on the map if you come across something you can't interact with (found one I assume I'll need explosive arrows for) it marks it and tells you you don't have the tool yet.

Reactions: CPTN71

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Finally home from work. Another 7 hours of goodness await.

I've been completing every side quest I can basically before continuing the main quest. Can't really complain much. Swimming is a bit difficult so far, but I'm sure it becomes easier when I get used to it.

Others have mentioned recurring characters, it's great for me as I remember them all from ~400 hours of playing the first game. Still waiting to see if a Nil shows up, probably not due to his side quest choices in the first game. A few others as well still left to see if they show up. Haven't read or watched anything about the game due to spoilers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad