Confirmed with Link: Horcoff suspended 20 games for PED's

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I would imagine it's pretty common actually, especially in the off-season. Up to the player to confirm with program doctor's that whatever they are looking to take isn't on the banned substances list.

I would imagine it's a lot like the training coaches. The players are mostly responsible for their own care/fitness/training, with some oversight from the team employed experts.

That's why some players can show up to camp out of shape.

bobbyt 91*

I would imagine it's pretty common actually, especially in the off-season. Up to the player to confirm with program doctor's that whatever they are looking to take isn't on the banned substances list.

I am a little confused with the liable rule.
We can say x player sucks but we can`t say I think they have an (x) problem.

DigitalSea

Thank you Landon
Jun 13, 2011
Anaheim, CA
Just like Thompsons injury, I think this will be a blessing in disguise. Horcoff is on this team due to that injury.

May force BM's hand into acquiring a good 3C (which we have needed the last 2 years. Rakell is not a center, he is a wing. And him being able to stay on the wing is just as valuable as obtaining one (kill two birds with one stone)... though we obviously still need a top 6 wing as well.

Horcoff has been very good in his role on the third line, IMO.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I am a little confused with the liable rule.
We can say x player sucks but we can`t say I think they have an (x) problem.

Saying "player X sucks" is an opinion, which is fine. Saying "player X has a drug problem" is defamation of character, and saying "I think" doesn't necessarily make it ok legally. Site rules are to avoid even the appearance of libel so there's zero lawyer issues.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Honestly, after living through the baseball PEDs fiasco as a die-hard fan, I really can't find it in me to care or even be angry.

He took a banned substance and he's serving the penalty. I'll be happy to have him back come playoff time.

bobbyt 91*

Saying "player X sucks" is an opinion, which is fine. Saying "player X has a drug problem" is defamation of character, and saying "I think" doesn't necessarily make it ok legally. Site rules are to avoid even the appearance of libel so there's zero lawyer issues.

ahh ok that makes sense. I guess my disconnect was to do with anything said on here could be used in a legal matter, but with the new cyber bulling laws better safe than sorry :nod:

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
Wow. One more thing to add to the pile this season has been, and the season isn't over yet.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
So does the team just not have to pay that money, or does it go to the PA pool? Probably the pool.

The forfeited salary for PED offenses goes towards funding the costs of the PED and SABH programs.

Forfeited salary and fines from on or off-ice discipline go into the NHL Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Not a huge on ice loss but it devastates our centre depth and makes our 4th line less useful.

I don't hold anything against Horcoff here, it's no big deal in my eyes.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
The forfeited salary for PED offenses goes towards funding the costs of the PED and SABH programs.

Forfeited salary and fines from on or off-ice discipline go into the NHL Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.

Ah I see, thank you for the info. I'm sure our owner is devestated he won't be able to keep those checks.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
One is an opinion and one is a statement masquerading as fact. Unless you say that he literally sucks, which used to be libelous and slanderous too.

Libel and slander are both defamatory. Libel is written. Slander is oral. A statement of opinion is never defamatory, since it is only an opinion, not a statement of a fact. Legally, although perhaps not on HF Boards, I can say that, "In my opinion player X has a drug problem", without fear of a libel claim.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
What are the odds that Horcoff is still as good for us when he returns, off the PEDs? When football and baseball players are forced to get off steroids, they fall off the face of the earth.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
What are the odds that Horcoff is still as good for us when he returns, off the PEDs? When football and baseball players are forced to get off steroids, they fall off the face of the earth.

Er, I think you're misunderstanding what he used them for. What he used was for recovery.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Libel and slander are both defamatory. Libel is written. Slander is oral. A statement of opinion is never defamatory, since it is only an opinion, not a statement of a fact. Legally, although perhaps not on HF Boards, I can say that, "In my opinion player X has a drug problem", without fear of a libel claim.

I know. I had written a longer explanation involving slander per se and libel per se and then realized that nobody outside of a 2L class gives a ****. So that's what was left in my post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad