Honestly...What Do We Think of Jack Edwards?

Do you enjoy Jack Edwards as the Bruins' announcer?

• Total voters

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
normally I like my announcers more subdue with their over the top moments... but I don't like to be lured to sleep eiether. some excitement is necessary and jack does enough.

as for his over the top moments... they really aren't worst then about 15 other guys doing games but jack is the bruin announcer and theres lots of little victims out there who feel bullied by the team on the ice that jack calls. its guilt by association. jack catches more crap because its a sore topic for the fans of these loser teams.

jack is made stonger by having an ace color man. I love both brickley and beers on the radio.

people say jack is a homer but trist me I listen to the 'national' broadcasters in Canada and hey are bigger homers han jack by far. being a homer is sort of necessary for hometeam broadcasts. jack is not the worst by far. he might be more geeky then I prefer but hes not more homer.

all in all... I think jack is probably the best hometeam tv announcer ive heard in boston. cusek was an institution but he didn't always get me excited. I am good with jack now

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I am only a casual baseball fan who has gotten back into watching some Red Sox games this year and I much prefer the NESN baseball coverage in comparison to hockey . The baseball crew provide a low key fun atmosphere and make it enjoyable for a guy like me who knows very little about baseball . There is a lot to like about Jack ( his enthusiasm and preparation ) but I find him increasingly annoying . I don’t need to hear again and again how statistically the opposition team plays so well in the 3rd period that the Bruins have no chance again and again . I like Brick but don’t enjoy Edwards calling the game anymore.

Reactions: Basilius

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I think he's a clown to be honest.

He doesn't really know the game as well as I'd like either. He knows players names/numbers and tidbits about their careers and lives, but he's not particularly astute about the game itself, IMO.

I do give him credit for what he's good at.....which is remembering players names and numbers and getting them right more than most PBP guys. He rarely mistakes one player for another....at least it seems like it happens less with him than others.

Aside from that, I simply can't stand his stupid catchphrases.....penalty bench, tumbling muffin, etc.

Just rubs me the wrong way.

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
Not a fan of his fight calls or when he goes off on a player for picking spots or throwing a questionable hit (i.e. Benoit Pouliot, Chris Stewart). I appreciate that he's starting to show excitement for other teams when they make a great play or if they score despite me muttering "oh f*** off, Jack" half the time. Love his energy most of the time, but he can be too much. He's a homer, but he's no Denis Potvin. He's an interesting character.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I think he's a clown to be honest.

He doesn't really know the game as well as I'd like either. He knows players names/numbers and tidbits about their careers and lives, but he's not particularly astute about the game itself, IMO.

I do give him credit for what he's good at.....which is remembering players names and numbers and getting them right more than most PBP guys. He rarely mistakes one player for another....at least it seems like it happens less with him than others.

Aside from that, I simply can't stand his stupid catchphrases.....penalty bench, tumbling muffin, etc.

Just rubs me the wrong way.
thats why Andy Brickley is his partner.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
thats why Andy Brickley is his partner.

Sure...but I'm even comparing him to other PBP guys.

All color guys know the game better than the PBP guys, as most of them have played at a high level.

Espresso Martini

Apr 12, 2016
I don't like him. I don't mind him being a homer. I just can't stand when he goes on and on about something inane while the play is going on. I agree that Brick seems like he has been mailing it in.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I wouldn't know if Brick has been mailing it in since I almost always choose the opponents' broadcast.

Jack is what is attention grabbing and most annoying to me in the handful of NESN broadcasts I do watch.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I would have gone with Goucher in a heartbeat over Jack.

I used to be ok with him, but now I can't stand him, and I actually blame him for Brickley not being as good. With a guy that is that over the top as your partner, how can you possibly be objective? It would be such a stark contrast and serve no purpose. I think that Brick has kind of given up because Jack is so insane.

The sooner he's gone, the better IMO.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Wow...

Is it really that bad? Has he noticeably quieted down? Or does his knowledge now seem limited?

I wouldn't say it's bad and he certainly knows what he's talking about, it's just the sense I get (and apparently others do too) that he's maybe a bit spent? Maybe playing 2nd banana to Jack all these years could be wearing him down? Brick doesn't seem to be as invested to me anyway

Reactions: BMC

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Ya well. I totally get a lot of you like him.

I don’t care if you’re a homer but at least be objective. He’s not.
I didn’t like it when Joe and Jim were getting that way here too. They’ve backed off a bit.
Thanks for your opinion......Just deleted 99% of my post.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Honestly, what do we think of Jack Edwards?

We love him. Or at least this fan does.

Everyone knows he's broadcasting to and for Bruins fans. If you don't like that, hey, there are alternatives. He calls a good game, too, even if some of his superlatives irritate some here.

Be thankful. We could have to listen to Johnny Most.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad