Honestly...What Do We Think of Jack Edwards?

Do you enjoy Jack Edwards as the Bruins' announcer?

• Total voters

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I respect the mods' decision as to whether or not they want to merge this with another thread (or perhaps lock it completely), but I am curious at this point (he's been with us for 12 or 13 years) if people like the way Jack Edwards calls the game.

At one point, I found him entertaining, but either I have changed...or he has changed...and I can't stand the guy any longer. It more often than not feels like I'm watching my team, overdubbed with the Jack Edwards Show.

Just a simple poll question. Do you enjoy listening to Jack call the games?

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Yes. I think he has a great voice and he clearly knows his stuff. He does his research before the games and brings energy and enthusiasm to his job.

He is a bit over the top sometimes. And there are a couple other things I can nitpick about but overall I definitely enjoy him.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Yes. I think he has a great voice and he clearly knows his stuff. He does his research before the games and brings energy and enthusiasm to his job.

He is a bit over the top sometimes. And there are a couple other things I can nitpick about but overall I definitely enjoy him.

That is one thing I will compliment him on: he's at the top in terms of announcers being knowledgeable of other teams...even if he seems to demonize the other players in every possible moment he can when they are playing the Bruins.

I myself am biased. But...admittedly unfairly...I really prefer an objective PBP guy who keeps his "opinions" to a minimum. I'd rather make judgements myself than be subjected to an extremely skewed viewpoint of someone else for 60 minutes every night.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
he checks all the boxes for me:

1. he loves the game and is knowledgeable about all teams. He knows all the players, whats going on around the league, tidbits. The man may be unmatched in the homework he does for each game.

Much better than listening to some broadcasters who clearly mail it in and dont do any leg work.

2. he loves the Bruins. for a hometown announcer, you really gotta be a fan and a bit of a homer.

3. his game calls are great. he doesnt overdue the play by play aspect, but still paints the picture well and makes sure its known exactly whats going on. he also calls the game, regardless of who is winning with the same level of excitement and energy. I like that.

I cant stand announcers that call opponents goals like they just shot his dog

Overall he is among the top 5-ish regional broadcasters in the league and we are lucky to have him.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
he checks all the boxes for me:

1. he loves the game and is knowledgeable about all teams. He knows all the players, whats going on around the league, tidbits. The man may be unmatched in the homework he does for each game.

Much better than listening to some broadcasters who clearly mail it in and dont do any leg work.

2. he loves the Bruins. for a hometown announcer, you really gotta be a fan and a bit of a homer.

3. his game calls are great. he doesnt overdue the play by play aspect, but still paints the picture well and makes sure its known exactly whats going on. he also calls the game, regardless of who is winning with the same level of excitement and energy. I like that.

I cant stand announcers that call opponents goals like they just shot his dog

Overall he is among the top 5-ish regional broadcasters in the league and we are lucky to have him.

You are definitely in the majority with that opinion. Weirdly, I don't like it.

I am all about enthusiasm, but when a guy will praise a hometown guy for "standing up for his team", while turning around and calling for a major or suspension for an opponent doing the exact same thing...it just rubs me the wrong way.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
I still like him.

I feel like he has reacted to the cries of being a homer by going pretty far the other direction. At times he is too excited for the other team, IMO. There are times where if you only heard the call (but didn't see the action) you wouldn't be able to tell if the play was good for the Bruins or the opponent. That's pretty much my only issue with him.

I can see why he might be too much for others, though.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
For the most part I enjoy him, however at times I find he is too enthusiastic when the opposition scores.
I think some of that just comes from his love of the game. He sees a really nice goal, even by the opposition, and he gets excited. I get it. I appreciate nice hockey plays. I'd prefer his enthusiasm for the game over Dale Arnold's monotone "score" when the opponent scores a pretty goal. (Yeah I know, Dale was their radio guy, but was still PBP.)

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I still like him.

I feel like he has reacted to the cries of being a homer by going pretty far the other direction. At times he is too excited for the other team, IMO. There are times where if you only heard the call (but didn't see the action) you wouldn't be able to tell if the play was good for the Bruins or the opponent. That's pretty much my only issue with him.

I can see why he might be too much for others, though.

I have always heard people complain about how he calls goal with some level of excitement for the other team. I think he has a healthy appreciation for the game.

When I really think about it, I think most of my "disdain" (it's a bit strong for me to describe it as that) lies in the "extra" stuff that goes on the ice. He will rant and rave about how "this right here is what the league is trying to get rid of" when a Bruins player falls victim to a cheap hit, but will attempt to justify pretty much anything a Bruins player does. Not that this is exactly uncommon among announcing teams (the Philly announcer are the absolute worst, IMO, when it comes to this).

The video below isn't entertaining or funny to me, however. It's a guy using his position to ramble on about nonsense and it's unprofessional IMO. I could just really, really, really do without these kind of "viewpoints". I also understand that this was 7 years ago, but this is right in line with Jack's personality on the air.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I used to like him but he lost me over the years making it more about him. No to mention his phrases that only mean anything to him. Tumblin' Muffin.

I'm with you about used to like him but don't anymore. But unlike yourself, my dislike doesn't stem from repeated annoying phrases, but rather the fact that he and Brick are complete f***ing schills for the front office. They no longer call it like they see it. They toe the company line on everything. They're completely dishonest about virtually everything. That's why they lost me.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I have always heard people complain about how he calls goal with some level of excitement for the other team. I think he has a healthy appreciation for the game.

When I really think about it, I think most of my "disdain" (it's a bit strong for me to describe it as that) lies in the "extra" stuff that goes on the ice. He will rant and rave about how "this right here is what the league is trying to get rid of" when a Bruins player falls victim to a cheap hit, but will attempt to justify pretty much anything a Bruins player does. Not that this is exactly uncommon among announcing teams (the Philly announcer are the absolute worst, IMO, when it comes to this).

The video below isn't entertaining or funny to me, however. It's a guy using his position to ramble on about nonsense and it's unprofessional IMO. I could just really, really, really do without these kind of "viewpoints". I also understand that this was 7 years ago, but this is right in line with Jack's personality on the air.

that's kinda the point of the segment. it was Jack's chance to gives his thoughts/summary on the series

its also a pretty valid analogy. Montreal and their fans see themselves as the royalty of the NHL and act holier than thou. Boston was the home of The Revolution so its not exactly a leap of logic to equate a Boston team as those pushing back against "royalty"

Reactions: BMC

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I'm with you about used to like him but don't anymore. But unlike yourself, my dislike doesn't stem from repeated annoying phrases, but rather the fact that he and Brick are complete ****ing schills for the front office. They no longer call it like they see it. They toe the company line on everything. They're completely dishonest about virtually everything. That's why they lost me.

This is true, but I find that (obviously) to be a lot less painful while this team is performing at a high level.

Brick's love affair for Chris Kelly in his last two seasons in Boston was physically nauseating.

Reactions: Strafer and LSCII

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I hate his shtick. I love a good homer, Derek and Fred were certainly homers of the first order, but they were good announcers. Edwards dumb catch phrases; down the river, tumbling muffin, forks it, spoons it, and the astoundingly f***ing annoying "penalty bench" are nothing but stupid shtick. Sure he does well with names, sure he knows his stuff, sure his PBP is right on the money (usually). But his rump swabbing of the other team, especially his man crush on Crosby, and his corny sayings turn me right off.

On the other hand, I also love the guy because he drives other fan bases batshit crazy!!!!

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
I like the energy he brings to the broadcast, it matches the level of excitement in the game and is a good fit with the market.

I don't wanna hear two dull, monotone announcers. Save that for baseball and golf please.

Yes he is a homer, but being a homer is much better than the 'hot take' controversial crowd taking over the sports journalism field now.

Reactions: rfournier103

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
that's kinda the point of the segment. it was Jack's chance to gives his thoughts/summary on the series

its also a pretty valid analogy. Montreal and their fans see themselves as the royalty of the NHL and act holier than thou. Boston was the home of The Revolution so its not exactly a leap of logic to equate a Boston team as those pushing back against "royalty"

Yeah, but it's sports. At a millionaire, corporate level. For two big market teams.

The underdog story is nice, and I hate the Habs (and everything associated with them) as much as anyone, but it's a segment full of arrogance that is supposed to be offset by the tongue-in-cheek/hyperbolic nature of the rhetoric. It was far less witty and humorous than it was simply insulting and hypocritical.

Reactions: Strafer

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Love him. He'll go down in the annuals of Boston sports broadcasters as one of the best to ever call a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad