Honestly...What Do We Think of Jack Edwards?

Do you enjoy Jack Edwards as the Bruins' announcer?

• Total voters

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
He's good at what he does . He's stays on top of the current nhl information. He gives opposing teams credit for good plays. So many other announces totally ignore good plays unless it's their team. I like an announcer to be all inclusive and point out things I may have missed . I'm only seeing a camera view

When he starts getting crazy I turn down the volume

Reactions: Strafer

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
With the energy this guy has he should be doing the EA games compared to the stale dudes they have, saying the same boring shyt.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Great thread @CharasLazyWrister

Most of the sentiments pro and con about Jack have already been posted here and I can't disagree with a lot of what's been said on either side of the fence. I do appreciate how difficult it is to be a play by play announcer especially for hockey. The challenge for guys like Jack (and Doc Emerick) is to be engaging, exciting at the right times, and not to mail it in. In a lot of ways I think Jack has taken many pages from Doc's playbook (for better or worse depending on your opinion of Doc) with the catch phrases and the way he uses them. Both try to not be repetitive which I think is cool (though not necessarily all the catch phrases but hey how many ways can you call a dump in) and he does take the pulse of the game and works with it.

Let's face it, calling just about 82 games for pretty much the same audience is gonna drive some people nuts.

What I like about Jack:

1) He clearly loves the sport
2) He definitely does his homework
3) He's not boring or repetitive
4) He tries to call things down the middle for the most part
5) He's enthusiastic
6) He's a local guy who's been a Bruins fan all his life and he has a clear understanding of the team, its history and the relationship with the fans

What I don't:

1) He does tend to go overboard at times (which he seems to be aware of)
2) The pontificating. I can do without that
3) Can't the puck go off the glass instead of off glass?

In all, I think Jack is a self-aware guy and does make an effort to do the best he can. That said, I would have loved Dave Goucher as some have mentioned too

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I love Jack- love his passion for the game. The man flat out loves hockey and he isn't afraid to let it show. I give him a pass for appreciating a great play by an opponent after all a great play is a great play. He knows the Bruins, he knows their opponents and he knows the game- clearly he spends a lot of time preparing for a game. Many PBP guys and analysts start mailing it in after awhile but not Jack.

As for being a "company shill"- these days all PBP guys and analysts are company shills otherwise they'd be unemployed so singling out him & Brick for that isn't right IMHO.

And pissing off the other fan bases is pure gravy!!!!

Last edited:

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Nope. Wish Goucher had been offered the gig before he went to Vegas.
I love Jack, but I love Goucher even more, having come from radio before getting Center Ice/NHL.tv. But I wonder if it would have went down if that hadn't just did that with Orsillo and replaced him with OB (which was totally the correct decision) and received such backlash for.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
He gets a little over zealous from time to time but overall I enjoy Jack.

I'm kind of surprised with the poll results. Often in GDT I see posters asking him to STFU and that sort of thing. I was expecting more of an even split TBH.

ThomasJ13

Sep 22, 2006
Really Like
As others have mentioned his knowledge and enthusiasm regarding other team's players is without peer. In this regard, he is anything but a homer, especially when compared to other PBP guys. Makes watching much more interesting, and you can tell he does his homework. He also doesn't take things too seriously, which I like.

Can do Without
The catch phrases, and waxing poetically about how hockey athletes are so much more awesome than both himself and other athletes.

Can REALLY do Without
Anything to do with PBP calls of fights, commenting on suspensions etc - this is where he deservedly gets his homer label. Just awful. Please stop.

Overall, thumbs up from me.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Really Like
As others have mentioned his knowledge and enthusiasm regarding other team's players is without peer. In this regard, he is anything but a homer, especially when compared to other PBP guys. Makes watching much more interesting, and you can tell he does his homework. He also doesn't take things too seriously, which I like.

Can do Without
The catch phrases, and waxing poetically about how hockey athletes are so much more awesome than both himself and other athletes.

Can REALLY do Without
Anything to do with PBP calls of fights, commenting on suspensions etc - this is where he deservedly gets his homer label. Just awful. Please stop.

Overall, thumbs up from me.

Other than the "thumbs up" conclusion, I agree with all of this.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I love his enthusiasm. He’s also a total Boston honk, and I love that too. He’s a unique character to Boston sports broadcasting, and it’s refreshing that he’s not some cookie cutter clone. And if other teams’ fans don’t like Edwards for that, so much the better. Eff ‘em :)

Also, I was mad the Bruins and Dave Goucher parted ways. I actually hear more Bruins hockey on the radio than watch on TV lately.

Reactions: Jdavidev

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
He gets a little over zealous from time to time but overall I enjoy Jack.

I'm kind of surprised with the poll results. Often in GDT I see posters asking him to **** and that sort of thing. I was expecting more of an even split TBH.

I think it's an example of where the detractors (such as myself) are far more vocal than those who have more appreciation.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Just thinking this through a bit further, and I know this is about Jack, but I think ol' Brick has been mailing it in for the past couple of seasons. Anyone else?

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I love him and I'm grateful I get to listen to him now that there is NHL Game Center and I can choose my feed except when they play the Leafs. Living outside of Boston, I will take Jack every day of the week over the other commentators. While he can be like a dog with a bone sometimes, I can forgive that because I probably sound like that at times too....don't we all?

He is a Bruins fan, doesn't hide it, lives and dies with them, I feel his passion and love his quirkiness. I want personality and life, not someone who sounds like they're reading a book doing the play by play or pretends to be unbiased. I hope he stays until he decides it is time to hang it up.

Reactions: BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad