Honestly...What Do We Think of Jack Edwards?

Do you enjoy Jack Edwards as the Bruins' announcer?

• Total voters

Elmer

Dec 18, 2014
Boston
I don't care what anyone says, telling me how many icings there have been, without any context, is completely useless. Yeah, tell me if there are 3 in a row without a change, but I don't need to know it is the 11th one of the game. Jack tells us the count for every icing there is and that's nothing but stupid.
To be fair, on occasion Jack has provided some context. Toronto commits a ton of icings and in one game Edwards even stated their fly the zone style makes icings inevitable and Mike Babcock has to accept it.

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
When Jack calls the game, he's among the best in the game. His preparation is top notch, and he always knows the opposing players names and their important (or at least interesting) stats. It's when he goes off on a rant that he loses me. He's a homer, but so are 90% of teams' broadcasters. I don't think that's a thing to rip on him for.

I agree with this. Excellent play-by-play, knowledgable, etc., but the jabbering away, especially at the start of games, is annoying and distracting. Don't mind the homerism, but do mind the celebration of fighting, Given all that is now known about CTE, nobody should ever celebrate head punches ever again.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
because if 1 team is icing the puck more, 9/10 times that means that team is getting dominated in zone time and in the game.

more icings = more o-zone faceoffs + tired opponents and more scoring chances.

But he almost always says nothing about that context. He simply counts them off, from the first through the last. "And that is the first icing of the game for the Bruins". "And the Bruins ice the puck for the second time". "And that is the third icing for the B's".

As I said, stupidity.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
To be fair, on occasion Jack has provided some context. Toronto commits a ton of icings and in one game Edwards even stated their fly the zone style makes icings inevitable and Mike Babcock has to accept it.

On occasion. That doesn't mean the 99 other times he just gives us a count is something useful.

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
I like Jack's passion for the game and think he's actually one of the more knowledgeable and enthusiastic play-by-play guys out there, but what irks me is his bias during fights. There was one line brawl years ago where Savard was tied up basically trying to get the other guy from fighting and you just hear "Savard wailing away and lands a right!" Also I cringe when he calls out other players like Chris Stewart for example. Krug wanted Stewart in that bout a couple years ago and Edwards just personally ripped into Stewart for it. You can see Stewart give Krug a tremendous amount of props in the box afterwards because he didn't want to fight Krug, and it just makes Jack look stupid when he does that. Bottom line is if he acted more professional in those instances, I would appreciate him a lot more.

StrBender

Mar 7, 2005
North Shore, MA
After watching some games called on the HNL network by the home team, ie. There's more excitement watching curling night in America :) I'll take Jack, warts an all!

Reactions: BMC

ed bruin

Feb 14, 2010
Newton
He asks the player themselves how to say a name if it’s diffucult or multiple different ways.

I didnt know that and find that interesting, maybe most other commentators pronounces names from then because its pretty common that he pronounces players names way different than most other commentators.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I only find him entertaining when I am rip shit during the game. Ie bad reffing, dirty play from opposing team, etc. In those moments, he reflects my feelings pretty accurately.

Other than that, his antics are grating. He’s not funny and he puts down other players simply for playing the game at times. The bias can be cringe inducing.

I do think he’s quite knowledgeable for a PBP guy, and has and sometimes does call a good game, but I hear his silly opinions way too often for my liking.

The comments like the one about Auston Watson mid-game are something I’d laugh about with a fellow fan at the game, but find to be bullshit to expose others to that level of flippancy and ignorance over a TV broadcast.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I often pull up a late game on NHL.tv to watch as I'm winding down for the night. I used to watch a ton of Kings games to listen to Bob Miller. Now, it's *always* Vegas if they're playing. Dave is a fantastic broadcaster and IMO the best in the league, especially at describing the play. He's transitioned well to TV.

I used to listen to his radio broadcasts while watching the game. Probably my favorite announcer in the NHL. Was bummed when Goucher left Boston. Wish he could be doing bruins games for NESN.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
I didnt know that and find that interesting, maybe most other commentators pronounces names from then because its pretty common that he pronounces players names way different than most other commentators.

There's a league-wide pronunciation guide Doc Emrick edits/curates that is used pretty universally. A lot of broadcasters refer to it. /(https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/assets/binary/300636256/binary-file/file.pdf). There's also a college hockey version. I work in the ECHL (former PA & now PXP) and I've consulted both many times if I am unable to get to a player to ask him personally. Nowdays, several players' pages on EliteProspects have an audio file of them saying their own names. When I did PA for the ECHL All-Star Game last year, I had to learn a *bunch* of new players' names and used all those tools to prep, then found whatever players I could to ask them pregame and confirm.

Jack has said during broadcasts he goes up to players and asks them for the pronunciation of their names (most notably with Alex Chiasson, whose name he was pronouncing "chee-uh-sawn" for a while when everyone else pronounced it "CHASE-on" (as it is in the pronunciation guide). Jack said he asked the player personally and was told that was how it was pronounced.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
There's a league-wide pronunciation guide Doc Emrick edits/curates that is used pretty universally. A lot of broadcasters refer to it. /(https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/assets/binary/300636256/binary-file/file.pdf). There's also a college hockey version. I work in the ECHL (former PA & now PXP) and I've consulted both many times if I am unable to get to a player to ask him personally. Nowdays, several players' pages on EliteProspects have an audio file of them saying their own names. When I did PA for the ECHL All-Star Game last year, I had to learn a *bunch* of new players' names and used all those tools to prep, then found whatever players I could to ask them pregame and confirm.

Jack has said during broadcasts he goes up to players and asks them for the pronunciation of their names (most notably with Alex Chiasson, whose name he was pronouncing "chee-uh-sawn" for a while when everyone else pronounced it "CHASE-on" (as it is in the pronunciation guide). Jack said he asked the player personally and was told that was how it was pronounced.
Good stuff there.

Any info on Jack's pronunciation of Marchand? Early in Brad's career he pronounced the second syllable of Marchand as 'ond.' Then he changed it to sound like 'and,' but has seemingly gone back to how he originally pronounced it.

Similar with PK. In clips from 2011 Jack pronounced his name 'Su-bon' but later it became Subban.

Jack may the only PBP guy that get's Chiasson's name right, as well as Kulikov's.

mattw4466

Jan 15, 2014
Then you aren’t reading the posts in here.

They are all homers. Jack makes it about him

I mean he lets it get away from him sometimes, no denying that. I’m not responding to anyone personally, but the typical knock on Edwards is that he’s a homer. I don’t really know what you mean by “makes it about him”.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Good stuff there.

Any info on Jack's pronunciation of Marchand? Early in Brad's career he pronounced the second syllable of Marchand as 'ond.' Then he changed it to sound like 'and,' but has seemingly gone back to how he originally pronounced it.

Similar with PK. In clips from 2011 Jack pronounced his name 'Su-bon' but later it became Subban.

Jack may the only PBP guy that get's Chiasson's name right, as well as Kulikov's.

I've been pretty curious about the March"ond"/March"and" pronunciation, because everyone used the first pronunciation for a while, then Jack started using the second one because he said Brad corrected him. Now, he's back to the first.

The other thing I've found interesting about his name is that American announcers tend to put the emphasis on the first syllable (MARSH-and (or ond)), while Canadian broadcasters put emphasis on the second (march-AND).

For what it's worth, 63's page on EliteProspects.com has him pronouncing it MARSH-AND.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aeroforce

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
I enjoy Jack and realize that he will be criticized simply because he is the TV voice of the Bruins, and has to deal with media members in this town who usually give the Bruins and hockey in general a hard time. If Mike Gorman was the Bruins' play-by-play voice, he'd be pilloried for being meh.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
I like Jack. (Can't remember if I've commented in here before; too lazy to check back)

But I don't always hear him on a frequent basis like a lot of you living up north do. He amuses the shit out of me. I know he's a homer. He gets ridiculous sometimes. To me, I just find it entertaining. It is nice that he's also quite well-informed about the other teams in the league and their rosters.

There are other play by play guys in the league, and none of them are as fun to listen to as Jack. At least, that's my opinion. I've fallen asleep watching games before late at night listening to other guys talk. But not Jack.

Reactions: Save By Thomas

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
the biggest thing that gets me about Edwards is his pronunciation of names are not only wrong, but is just annoying sounding, IE Dmitri Kulikov

So what PBP guy does NOT pronounce the name of foreign players wrong?
Keep in mind that the "American pronunciations" of names like e.g. Malkin, Lundqvist or Seidenberg are all wrong.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
Edwards is good. A lot of play by play guys either don't get excited, or are audibly disappointed when the other team scores. Jack isn't one of those people. Jack is on the ball, gets the players' names right, has a pretty good understanding of the game, and is entertaining. I'm very happy with him.

Reactions: Neely2005

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I think people have especially soured on him now too because Goucher is gone and that guy was basically the best in the biz

Him and Brickley would be a tremendous combo

There’s a particular jack phrase that I can’t quite remember but I can’t stand it every time I hear it and don’t know why he still does it, it’s something like fungo or tumbling muffin but not either of those I don’t think

It’s also pretty funny how he annunciates the h sound in words like waffle or whip I always think of Stewie in that family guy episode

Reactions: sarge88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad