Honestly...What Do We Think of Jack Edwards?

Do you enjoy Jack Edwards as the Bruins' announcer?

• Total voters

Banded Peak

Apr 15, 2015
I’m just saying, you said he acknowledges great plays by other teams which quite often he doesn’t and a poll of thousands of fans who listen to all broadcasts voted Jack Edwards the worst in the NHL at announcing games.

If you've ever read some of the comments on other boards about him it's pretty clear most of them calling him the biggest homer in the league have never even listened to him call a game, at least not consistently, cause it's objectively nonsense.

Trust me, I live in Western Canada and am routinely exposed to Derek Wills, Kelly Hrudey, Drew Remenda, Louie DeBrusk and Kevin Quinn, not to mention whoever the idiots who call Canucks games are. All of whom are not only huge homers, but are pretty bad at their jobs on top of that.

Me? I find him annoying sometimes but I don't mind.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I can’t even pinpoint why....I just find myself hating listening to every second of his PBP.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
If you've ever read some of the comments on other boards about him it's pretty clear most of them calling him the biggest homer in the league have never even listened to him call a game, at least not consistently, cause it's objectively nonsense.

Trust me, I live in Western Canada and am routinely exposed to Derek Wills, Kelly Hrudey, Drew Remenda, Louie DeBrusk and Kevin Quinn, not to mention whoever the idiots who call Canucks games are. All of whom are not only huge homers, but are pretty bad at their jobs on top of that.

Me? I find him annoying sometimes but I don't mind.

Hrudey is one of my favourite hockey broadcasters...he knows his stuff.

Banded Peak

Apr 15, 2015
Hrudey is one of my favourite hockey broadcasters...he knows his stuff.

I actually like Hrudey fine on the HNIC panel and I read his book and thought it was fantastic. No doubt he knows his stuff but I do think he's a lousy color guy. Too many times he's doing mental gymnastics to defend a goalie, especially the home goalie and he hasn't got much polish it's a chore to listen to for long. I'll walk it back on Hrudey but won't apologize for the rest. The Edmonton TV crew is an embarrassment to the league. Listen to Quinn and Remenda for a couple games and then tell me how bad Jack is.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
In Canada the broadcasters are so biased towards any Canadian team especially against the B's, so I look forward to watching Jack and Brick broadcasts whenever possible.

As looney as Jack can be sometimes, he also can make a somewhat boring game seem exciting.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I swear that one night, Dave Shea literally passed out during play and woke up a few seconds later, calling out names of players that weren't even on the ice as he struggled to call the action. I'm not joking... I want to say this was in the late 90's during an away game. I couldn't believe it.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Then why don’t you just turn down the volume and listen to FM 98.5 and hear Bob Beers and his play-by-play partner do their version of the game?

75% of the time I watch the games delayed on DVR, so that doesn’t work.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
The over the top outrage is what gets me. His call is OK. 82 games is too much I'd love a different home and road crew. Brickley is better when he does national broadcasts.

I tend to prefer the traditional impartial PBP homer color set up.

ed bruin

Feb 14, 2010
Newton
I grew up watching the B's on UPN 38 with Arnold and Shea so I'm used to the more calm tenor lol, the biggest thing that gets me about Edwards is his pronunciation of names are not only wrong, but is just annoying sounding, IE Dmitri Kulikov

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
People forget Jack was the lead announcer on ESPN/ABC for the 2002 World Cup

https://www.americaninno.com/boston/world-cup-usa-v-portugal-highlights-bruins-announcer-jack-edwards-had-the-play-by-play-call-of-the-greatest-u-s-win-in-world-cup-history-video/

Jack Edwards is a one of a kind personality known to New Englanders as the man who calls the Bruins games on NESN. He makes crazy analogies, and is never afraid to take a chance. There is no in between opinion of him, you either love him or hate him (if you’re from Montreal, we’re guessing it’s the latter).

It may or may not surprise Boston fans to learn that Edwards wasn’t always strictly a hockey announcer. Edwards used to work for ESPN, where he did a number of jobs (even the Little League World Series). The most notable of those pre-NESN jobs was probably his time calling games at the 2002 World Cup, held in Japan and South Korea. He watched Team USA achieve its best result in modern times, reaching the quarterfinals.

Last edited:

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I'm not a fan of Edwards but he is far from the biggest homer, the idiot that does Lightning radio is the worst broadcaster in sports. I used to like the Lightning because of Esposito and some other local connections but listening to that moron Mishkin has made them one of my most hated teams in the league.

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
I grew up watching the B's on UPN 38 with Arnold and Shea so I'm used to the more calm tenor lol, the biggest thing that gets me about Edwards is his pronunciation of names are not only wrong, but is just annoying sounding, IE Dmitri Kulikov
He asks the player themselves how to say a name if it’s diffucult or multiple different ways.

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
People forget Jack was the lead announcer on ESPN/ABC for the 2002 World Cup

https://www.americaninno.com/boston/world-cup-usa-v-portugal-highlights-bruins-announcer-jack-edwards-had-the-play-by-play-call-of-the-greatest-u-s-win-in-world-cup-history-video/

Jack Edwards is a one of a kind personality known to New Englanders as the man who calls the Bruins games on NESN. He makes crazy analogies, and is never afraid to take a chance. There is no in between opinion of him, you either love him or hate him (if you’re from Montreal, we’re guessing it’s the latter).

It may or may not surprise Boston fans to learn that Edwards wasn’t always strictly a hockey announcer. Edwards used to work for ESPN, where he did a number of jobs (even the Little League World Series). The most notable of those pre-NESN jobs was probably his time calling games at the 2002 World Cup, held in Japan and South Korea. He watched Team USA achieve its best result in modern times, reaching the quarterfinals.

I would f***ing kill to hear Jack calling a monumental team USA upset over Japan or something. Guy would find a way to start world war 3 or compare it to Pearl Harbor.

I had a case of the giggles a while ago and had to look up when he went on the rant about the revolutionary war.

If I had enough money in my bank account I’d poach him from Nesn and have him follow me around just commentating my every day life.

Reactions: Fenway

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

I hate Edwards shtick, I find it tiresome and nothing but an affectation. However, Edwards on his worst day was never as bad as Dave "Never saw a game till I sat in the booth" Shea. He quite simply was the worst PBP/color man in Boston sports history. Boring, condescending, knew nothing about hockey, and couldn't have found the pulse of the Boston sports market with an EKG machine.

Reactions: sarge88

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I hate Edwards shtick, I find it tiresome and nothing but an affectation. However, Edwards on his worst day was never as bad as Dave "Never saw a game till I sat in the booth" Shea. He quite simply was the worst PBP/color man in Boston sports history. Boring, condescending, knew nothing about hockey, and couldn't have found the pulse of the Boston sports market with an EKG machine.

I bought a 2004 Volkswagen Jetta from Dave Shea during the lockout - it had a good radio :laugh: :cry:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad