Pre-Game Talk: Honest Expectations for the Playoffs

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
For all the glumness around here, name me one team that is heavily favored to come out of the West? I mean hands down way better than anyone. Washington in the East is the only team that is on everyone's radar. So what does that mean exactly?

There is no easy matchup for anyone in the West. There will be no cake walk. There will be a lot of tough series. I don't think anyone is favored to be quite honest. Each and every series will be a battle. Who cares who we play. No matter if it was the Ducks or Kings it would've been tough. If we make it past the Ducks, the next series will be even tougher and so on. Sit back and enjoy the ride that is playoff hockey.

Something special is going to happen this year. Don't worry about regular season records against any of these teams, it is irrelevant. Forget about stats. They are irrelevant. What we do starting on Friday is all that matters. Go out to Anaheim and give them H*LL boys. You've got this.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Dang. Why do we even worry about making the playoffs then? Let's just save ourselves the stress of having to play teams we clearly have no chance against and go play golf or something.

No, that's not what I'm saying. Upsets happen every year (Wild over Blues last year). Anything can happen in the playoffs, you never know who are going to get hot. If Rinne lights it up I think we have a good shot at the Cup. I've just lost all confidence to Rinne, I don't see him upping his game as much as needed.

The truth is, we are the underdogs in this series. The stats and records speak for themselves. The Ducks would be the favorite to win any series in the playoffs (not Caps, though). But like I said, upsets happen and you'll never know what might happen. Let's just enjoy the playoffs.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Do you guys think Lavy will bump Wilson to the 1st line? Do we see some call-ups? Defensive pairings? I think Granny will sit and they'll pair Bitetto-Jackman who can play 11-13 minutes/night.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
For all the glumness around here, name me one team that is heavily favored to come out of the West? I mean hands down way better than anyone. Washington in the East is the only team that is on everyone's radar. So what does that mean exactly?

I originally had discounted Minnesota and San Jose, but I think I am taking San Jose off my shocked list.

But I I think I told you and anyone else that would listen that it would not shock me to see one of 6 (now 7) teams come out of the West.

3 Really really good teams are getting bounced and a 4th if the Wild pull the upset.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Just looking at the brackets, it is crazy how much stronger the West is this season. If the Preds were in the East I think we would be at worst the 3rd best team, possibly 2nd (Pittsburgh). If we were in the bottom half of the bracket (opposite Caps) no doubt in my mind we would have a great shot at the Conference finals.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Just looking at the brackets, it is crazy how much stronger the West is this season. If the Preds were in the East I think we would be at worst the 3rd best team, possibly 2nd (Pittsburgh). If we were in the bottom half of the bracket (opposite Caps) no doubt in my mind we would have a great shot at the Conference finals.

I don't think it's that cut and dry. Sure on paper some of the teams appear to be less 'complete' than others. Preds had their fair share of trouble against eastern opponents. I think I'd put them in the same tier as Florida and Tampa. And really, nobody can say for certain what those teams will do in the post-season.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
Other than WAS and PIT, there is nobody in the East you could call a slam-dunk to make the POs in the West. However, ANA, LA, DAL, CHI, and STL all would be in the East; so yes, the west is demonstrably better. That said, winner of the 2nd round Pits/WAS series is winning the cup.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Oh for sure the depth of great teams is greater in the west. I think I just worded it poorly. Was addressing the 'Preds would be at worst a 2-3 team in the east' comment more than anything. That I'm not too sure about if it.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I don't think it's that cut and dry. Sure on paper some of the teams appear to be less 'complete' than others. Preds had their fair share of trouble against eastern opponents. I think I'd put them in the same tier as Florida and Tampa. And really, nobody can say for certain what those teams will do in the post-season.

How we did in 2 random games against the East doesn't mean anything. Florida is a good young team but no way they are better than us right now. And a full strength Tampa would absolutely be a threat to win it all, but they are not even close to full strength- which is a big reason why the West is so much better....

If you ranked the playoff teams 1-16, you could make an argument that 7 of the 8 teams in the West would be above everyone in the East except the Caps and Penguins.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
If you ranked the playoff teams 1-16, you could make an argument that 7 of the 8 teams in the West would be above everyone in the East except the Caps and Penguins.

So I went ahead and ranked them. Not based on matchups or anything else- just a 1-16 rank of each playoff team based on the teams TODAY, (taking injuries into account). Its just my opinion of course, but 7 of the top 9 are in the West.

1. Washington EAST
2. St Louis WEST
3. Anaheim WEST
4. LA WEST
5. Dallas WEST
6. Chicago WEST
7. Pittsburgh EAST
8. Nashville WEST
9. San Jose WEST
10. Florida EAST
11. NYR EAST
12. NYI EAST
13. Philly EAST
14. Detroit EAST
15. Tampa Bay EAST
16. Minnesota WEST

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
So I went ahead and ranked them. Not based on matchups or anything else- just a 1-16 rank of each playoff team based on the teams TODAY, (taking injuries into account). Its just my opinion of course, but 7 of the top 9 are in the West.

1. Washington EAST
2. St Louis WEST
3. Anaheim WEST
4. LA WEST
5. Dallas WEST
6. Chicago WEST
7. Pittsburgh EAST
8. Nashville WEST
9. San Jose WEST
10. Florida EAST
11. NYR EAST
12. NYI EAST
13. Philly EAST
14. Detroit EAST
15. Tampa Bay EAST
16. Minnesota WEST

I pretty much agree with this ranking... I think it's really close between CHI-LAK-ANA-DAL and SJS might be right there above us, but it's about as accurate a pure power ranking as one could make.

I know this, I had much rather be playing any of those 8 teams below us on this list than ANA

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I pretty much agree with this ranking... I think it's really close between CHI-LAK-ANA-DAL and SJS might be right there above us, but it's about as accurate a pure power ranking as one could make.

I know this, I had much rather be playing any of those 8 teams below us on this list than ANA

Exactly- which is why I said we would have a great chance to make the conference finals if we were in the East- assuming we didn't get stuck in the Caps bracket, of course...

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
I predict Bieksa targets Arvy (cause Bieksa is just a classless no talent goon ******* mother ****er) and Fisher goes looking for another Bieksa tooth as payback.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
For those who want to play anyone but Anaheim, think of it as now you should think we can go win the West if we get out of this round.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
For those who want to play anyone but Anaheim, think of it as now you should think we can go win the West if we get out of this round.

I feel where your coming from it would be one hell of a confidence builder. And Its hard to deny the Ducks have been very hot since Christmas. Seeding in a wildcard slot does not leave you much. You get the central or pacific champ neither option is that great and this is not pointed toward the Preds. Most tend to over inflate there teams chances. A hot team like the Kings at times can plow thru and win a cup buit this does not happen that often just as the President award winner often fails to win the cup. IMO in the regular season you make your own luck but the playoffs are different for chasing team they must have some bounces go there way to have a chance.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
The rest of the team can match up with the Ducks well but I just don't see Rinne taking us past the 1st round. I'm trying to be realistic.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
The rest of the team can match up with the Ducks well but I just don't see Rinne taking us past the 1st round. I'm trying to be realistic.

this. i agree with this. I think our offense and defense (obviously, defense) can match up and be as good as anyone, if not better, but our woes in net are starting to become our downfall.

Rinne, just isn't the old Rinne where he truly was elite. Sure, he makes some incredible saves and if he sees 35-45 shots he's usually very, very good...but he lets in a lot of softies that come back to haunt us.

Hoping he proves us wrong for a couple months stretch and we can get to the cup, but we may be starting to see the changing of guard after this season with new, young goalies beginning to work their way into Preds Gold for good.

But, for now, I will be optimistic. Go Preds!

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
Expectations - winner of the series wins the west, assuming they stay healthy.

Nash has better D, and O matches up well 5x5
ANA has superior 1st line if they choose to put Perry and Getzlaf together, and a huge edge in special teams.

Peks has been inconsistent, and hasn't had PO success.
ANA has it's own PO ghosts, including last year's meltdown.

Preds stay out of the box, Preds have a legit chance; it negates Ducks true advantage and plays to our strength of D.
If I were betting, I'd still have to pick ANA, but this one, the STL/CHI series, and the DET/TAM series are the only ones that there isn't a clear and dominant fave.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth

ANA has superior 1st line if they choose to put Perry and Getzlaf together, and a huge edge in special teams.

Preds stay out of the box, Preds have a legit chance; it negates Ducks true advantage and plays to our strength of D.
If I were betting, I'd still have to pick ANA, but this one, the STL/CHI series, and the DET/TAM series are the only ones that there isn't a clear and dominant fave.

I think they'll at least start the series with Getz and Perry on different lines. And yep, stay out of the box.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007

Excellent points but I would add on thing the Ducks have the instigators that are going to get to Neal and Riberio perhaps even Weber. If they continue to take there typical bonehead penalty per game theres big trouble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad