Pre-Game Talk: Honest Expectations for the Playoffs

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
Depending on the Avs to keep losing to get the #7 or #8 spot for the Preds isn't sound strategy for the playoffs. I would like to see Nashville win a few more games and pass the Sharks. That might set up a series against the Kings (95 pts) instead of Dallas or St Louis (101 pts each).
!

Ummm, we can't do the bolded - they are 3rd in the Pacific, they get either the Kings or Ducks - whoever finishes 2nd. We get one of the division winners, unless we win out and then maybe catch the Hawks - which would give us either DAL or STL.

So, what you really want it sounds like, is to win a couple and stay ahead of MN but not catch the Hawks. Myself - I want to win the last 5 and be rolling as we head into the POs, regardless of opponent.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Really interesting that the Hawks are still the favorite to win the West. I bet that changes if Keith misses playoff games.

I may wind up looking like an idiot but I still think the Hawks are going out in the first round- if I am right there is some money to be made on some other West team based on those odds.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
my hopes for the playoffs in order of importance to me;

1)that we first make the playoffs
2)that we play really well in the first round
3)that we get to put out one of the favorites (LAK, ANA, STL or DAL)
4)that we then actually play well in the second round afterwards
5)that somehow, someway we get revenge on CHI and eliminate them (someday soon)

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Really interesting that the Hawks are still the favorite to win the West. I bet that changes if Keith misses playoff games.

I may wind up looking like an idiot but I still think the Hawks are going out in the first round- if I am right there is some money to be made on some other West team based on those odds.
Recent history/Blues history of not getting very far/Questions about Dallas.

It's interesting/not all that surprising that other than the world-destroying Caps, only 4 Eastern teams are ahead of us. If it's not the Caps, the champ will almost undoubtedly come out of the West IMO.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA

They haven't beaten a playoff quality opponent this month... They're done, imo

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
My honest expectation is something similar to what happened last year: giving an opponent just about everything that it can handle, but it not being quite enough to advance. This could be the year that they play their first Game 7, but, while pushing it to Game 7 would be a mark of improvement over most previous years (when they lost in 5 or 6 games), not having played one before and doing so on the road isn't a recipe for success.

What worries me is their mental game... the ability to step it up when things are on the line (look, for example, at how they've failed three times now to clinch a playoff spot) and that confidence when things aren't going your way that stops things from snowballing out of control. My concern is that they're similar to the Blues and Sharks, two teams that tend to enter the playoffs with so much momentum and confidence (similar to the Preds right now), only to stumble in the playoffs largely because they don't know how to respond when their opponent systematically picks apart their game as a series goes on. Maintaining confidence when things are going well (i.e. during a hot run) is very different than maintaining it when things aren't going well, which is a priceless skill in the playoffs.

I'm not writing off an upset and an advancement to Round 2. If I were to assign percentages, I might give it a 33% chance. It's a decent possibility, but I can't honestly say that I "expect" it or think that it's the likelier outcome, because the West is so good this year and their opponent will have the edge of home ice advantage (which, as I mentioned, could really come into play in a Game 7).

Last edited:

codeman00

Apr 24, 2012
They haven't beaten a playoff quality opponent this month... They're done, imo

But I guess you didn't hear from NBC Sports 155 times during our game that Chicago signed Andrew Ladd...and that made them so much more dangerous.....there's no way they could be losing all of these games to inferior opponents. :dunno:

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
But I guess you didn't hear from NBC Sports 155 times during our game that Chicago signed Andrew Ladd...and that made them so much more dangerous.....there's no way they could be losing all of these games to inferior opponents. :dunno:

Elite teams do not lose to inferior opponents. Just ask several of our posters.

jstreet

LETS GO PREDS
Jan 15, 2004
FL via Nashville
www.twitter.com
I feel more of the same. We will win 2 games. We will hang on and hang on and lose a couple close ones. And will get blown away in at least one good game.

I just don't feel any magical run coming. But maaaaan I hope I am wrong.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Ummm, we can't do the bolded - they are 3rd in the Pacific, they get either the Kings or Ducks - whoever finishes 2nd. We get one of the division winners, unless we win out and then maybe catch the Hawks - which would give us either DAL or STL.

So, what you really want it sounds like, is to win a couple and stay ahead of MN but not catch the Hawks. Myself - I want to win the last 5 and be rolling as we head into the POs, regardless of opponent.

I forgot about the 12 and 4! Catching Chicago is doable. Nashville could get to 99 points. They are 5-5-0 in the last 10 games. Chicago is 3-5-2 with a game in hand.

BTW: A Steve Silverman - Bleacher Report article dated 3-29-16 projects Nashville as playing the Kings, Dallas vs the Wild, St Louis versus Chicago.

codeman00

Apr 24, 2012
Can I take back my vote and vote differently now on our playoff potential? Ugh.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Conference finals if Ellis and Bitetto are healthy and no one else gets injured.

2nd round if not. Anything else will be a disappointment.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Conference finals if Ellis and Bitetto are healthy and no one else gets injured.

2nd round if not. Anything else will be a disappointment.

Heard yesterday that Ellis was concussion. No idea how accurate that is but its not good news. We saw what a sub .900 Rinne and no Eliis was the other night.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Well we won't be playing Chicago first round, so I like their chances against either LA or Dallas. I have a feeling Neal will get hot at the right time and carry the 1st round. After that, I honestly don't have any expectations.

Last edited:

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Can we redo the poll when we know the opponent? I think it is very likely we push our round 1 opponent or win the series.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Well we won't be playing Chicago first round, so I like their chances against either LA or Dallas. I have a feeling Neal will get hot at the right time and carry the 1st round. After that, I honestly don't have any expectations.
Anaheim is only one point behind LA with a game in hand.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
If Johansen plays the way he played for us against Pittsburgh, you guys will have a shot (assuming, obviously, everyone else plays well too) to go far. I'll be rooting for you.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
I think we can do well. We have much more talent on our forwards than in previous recent years, it will fall on Rinne and his ability to make some huge saves when we need it. If Wilson can play any where close to how he did last year and we can roll 3 lines that have a legitimate shot to score every shift, and they can dictate possession with our mobile defense.. then we can beat anyone besides the Caps.

Of course, that is a perfect scenario and you play the games for a reason, so I think we will be inconsistent in the first round. IF they make it out of that, we have a shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad