Pre-Game Talk: Honest Expectations for the Playoffs

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Every piece of my being as a Preds fan knows this is unlikely but what the hell. I just want to go to the Finals. Couldn't even care less if we lose, especially if it is to the Caps.

By the way, who would we play in Round 1 that would be a true 'upset' if we won the series? The way we are playing right now I can't think of too many teams Vegas would favor over us.

Agree- we will be a slight underdog but it won't really be an upset. Pretty much all of the western conference series in round 1 will be that way, with the exception of the Wild series.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
I think if we stay in WC1, we make it to the Conference Final, not sure we make it to the Cup Final though, although the team has been scorching earth.

SavageSteve

Mar 28, 2008
Nashville, TN
Conference Finals... if we somehow draw Dallas in the WCF, then SCF's. It all depends on how hot Peks plays and what untimely injuries happen. If the defense stays healthy and keeps Pek's lanes of vision clear, we could be in for a wild ride. I have a low opinion of Dallas' netminders too; but I also had a low opinion of Chicago's last year too.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
You guys just know we're going to go far through the power of playoff OT. The talk will be about how poorly we performed in OT throughout the regular season with a few instances of "Yeah Bob, but OT in the regular season is totally different from the postseason, let me explain why!".

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
Think it's obvious our expectations are the highest they've ever been. Not because we have best team ever, or the best chance ever, it's because we've-been-there-and-done-that in the Playoff Struggle.

One and Done will be a disaster. We feel like we're past that.

Round 2 Crash-and-Burn is not a disaster, but painfully disappointing.

Losing in Round 3 would be considered success and progress, although still painful.

Losing in the Cup Final would be a major accomplishment and leave us starving for next year. Nothing like losing in the finals to make you want to start the next season next week. Or as Mortimer Duke said in the final scene of Trading Places: "Turn those machines back on!!!"

Winning the Cup would be mind-blowing and something we can't even imagine. Nirvana. The Revelations chapter of the Pred Bible. White horses and the Hawks thrown into the Lake of Fire.

codeman00

Apr 24, 2012
By the way, who would we play in Round 1 that would be a true 'upset' if we won the series? The way we are playing right now I can't think of too many teams Vegas would favor over us.

I couldn't agree more with this statement. Our power ranking was #2 overall the last time I checked. Just because our final position was #7 in the west doesn't mean we're #7 in the West. We've added a piece and our team is on fire right now.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Every piece of my being as a Preds fan knows this is unlikely but what the hell. I just want to go to the Finals. Couldn't even care less if we lose, especially if it is to the Caps.

Being the favorite doesn't necessarily indicate who they think will win. It's all about money. It wouldn't shock me for Vegas to start us out as underdogs in the first round because with our recent play it would encourage people to start betting on us.

I get what you're saying though. The problem is yeah we're on fire right now and no one wants to play us........but we still have no playoff success and it would still be pretty easy for people putting down money to just expect us to do another Predators first round flameout.

codeman00

Apr 24, 2012
Making it to the conference finals and even winning it would be huge this season. It will cause a lot of things to fall into place...increased media attention and it will be obvious to free agents that not only do we have a great city but we're also a legit threat to win the Cup. Hope this year is the year we get it all going. It's time.

Right now we're 10-1 to win the Western Conference (which puts us 7th most likely in the West) and 20-1 to win the Cup.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Burning couches on Broadway with Lord Stanley's Cup.

That's what I plan on doing in June regardless of who actually wins the Cup, though.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I know we talked about this last year, but gosh....the mess come June when CMA Fest is going on should we still be playing.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
One and done. I'm fine with that result though. I didn't expect us to be in this spot a few months ago. we will probably play the eventual cup champs in the first round. seems to be how it shakes out lol

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
2012...Jeff Carter from CBJ to LA....Stanley Cup Championship

2014...Marion Gaborik from CBJ to LA...Stanley Cup Championship

2013...Rick Nash from CBJ to NYR....2nd round first year/finals 2nd year/3rd round 3rd year

When the CBJ trade a discontented, talented forward, good things tend to happen to them and their new team.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
You guys just know we're going to go far through the power of playoff OT. The talk will be about how poorly we performed in OT throughout the regular season with a few instances of "Yeah Bob, but OT in the regular season is totally different from the postseason, let me explain why!".

:laugh: I can picture that in my head clear as day.

I'm not really sure what to think. Let me explain.

If we play LA round 1 we could play very well and still lose. Similar to how the series against CHI went last year and then just like last year I couldn't be very angry at the team but I would once again be disappointed wondering when will we ever be able to get over "mental" hump in the playoffs. Beating teams like LA and CHI is as much a mental thing in the playoffs as it is how well you actually play on the ice.

I will say this it doesn't matter who they play. If the Preds come out with some attitude and mentally expect to win and believe they are just as good if not better than their opponent. Even playing against CHI or LA I would have the series at 50/50.

If they end up playing LA and give them to much respect because they are the big bad SC winners two times in recent history I expect they will lose.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Pessimist in me: Out in six as is typical. We'll lose game one, win game two, lose three and four, win five, lose six.

Optimist in me: Round 1 upset, lose in seven in Round 2.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
I honestly don't know what to think about this team. I truly believe, right now, we can beat any team in this league. But I don't know that we can beat a team 4 times over a 7 game series.

Then again, the way they have been playing, I could see them beating a team in 6-7 games.

I believe a team has to lose before they can win. And lose in a heartbreaking way. Kind of like we did last year. We were the better team in that series, yet we didn't know what it took to close out a game in the playoffs against an extremely experienced team. Learn to win.

Hearing that the players are mad about last year and eager for more success makes me think they could do something special if lots of things go right. Or at least win 1-2 rounds.

But I would happily join anyone burning couches on Broadway!! ;)

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Pessimist in me: Out in six as is typical. We'll lose game one, win game two, lose three and four, win five, lose six.

Optimist in me: Round 1 upset, lose in seven in Round 2.

I agree with the Pessimist. I just came back from Nashville.

I was at Monday's game. The defense made 2 horrible turnovers that led to goals.
The offense was caught up ice, that led to a goal. Pekka had a puck in his pads and it went into the goal anyway. (second score by Colorado)

A team that will win in the playoffs should not be doing ANY of those things at the end of the season. Hutton made it a game by slamming the door.

Against Dallas on Tuesday: (Watched the game on TV) Hit the post 3 or 4 times in the third period, but no scores from those. Plenty of offense, no finishing touches.

I can't think of a worse thing to do in the playoffs. Match a division leader and come up short on the score. (before the 2 ENGs.)

Is there news about Ellis? Is he out for a while? That could hurt big time.
Will the coach play Bitetto instead?

One more thing about Monday. A bunch of fans (STH?) left after the 4th Colorado goal. They missed the 2 goals that the Preds scored. Shame, shame, shame.
NEVER give up before the horn sounds!
As loud as the crowd was at times on Monday, I have to believe that about 1/3 of the fans present aren't true believers.

Last edited:

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I agree with the Pessimist. I just came back from Nashville.

I was at Monday's game. The defense made 2 horrible turnovers that led to goals.
The offense was caught up ice, that led to a goal. Pekka had a puck in his pads and it went into the goal anyway. (second score by Colorado)

A team that will win in the playoffs should not be doing ANY of those things at the end of the season. Hutton made it a game by slamming the door.

Against Dallas on Tuesday: (Watched the game on TV) Hit the post 3 or 4 times in the third period, but no scores from those. Plenty of offense, no finishing touches.

I can't think of a worse thing to do in the playoffs. Match a division leader and come up short on the score. (before the 2 ENGs.)

Is there news about Ellis? Is he out for a while? That could hurt big time.
Will the coach play Bitetto instead?

You are doing what so many do- not just here but all message boards. Putting wayyyyyy too much meaning into a single game. What happened in that Colorado game will not mean anything when the puck drops for Game 1. Not a thing. We could have lost that game 10-0- it has zero affect on how we do in the playoffs.

If last year doesn't teach you that nothing will. We lost our last 6 games of the season and only won 6 of the final 21 games. And yet we played a great series against the Stanley Cup champions- and oh by the way did it without Shea Weber. Played them better than anyone did.

And again- everyone on here keeps expecting perfection- I could take any of the top 10 teams in the league and give you numerous examples of them crapping the bed in a random game. No team in any sport is going to be on top of their game every game- period.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I covered the last two games, but I get your meaning, drwpreds.

The successful teams don't back into the playoffs in any sport.

Maybe if Nashville beats the Pens (9-1 in last 10 games) I would change to win one round in the playoffs. If they don't win in Steel City, that makes 3 losses in a row near the end of the season.

Colorado played with more urgency on Monday, especially the first 5 minutes or so.
That is a key thing to do in any playoff game. The Avs kept throwing the puck at the net and one went in on the turnover. Then the off the skate and through the leg pads goal. Pekka didn't have much chance on goal number three.

I don't expect perfection because humans aren't perfect. Winning at home when it counts is not unreasonable. The Avs were a 5th place team on the road.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I covered the last two games, but I get your meaning, drwpreds.

The successful teams don't back into the playoffs in any sport.

Maybe if Nashville beats the Pens (9-1 in last 10 games) I would change to win one round in the playoffs. If they don't win in Steel City, that makes 3 losses in a row near the end of the season.

Colorado played with more urgency on Monday, especially the first 5 minutes or so.
That is a key thing to do in any playoff game. The Avs kept throwing the puck at the net and one went in on the turnover. Then the off the skate and through the leg pads goal. Pekka didn't have much chance on goal number three.

I don't expect perfection because humans aren't perfect. Winning at home when it counts is not unreasonable. The Avs were a 5th place team on the road.

I am not trying to be overly argumentative here- but two points to the bolded above:

1) I've posted about this elsewhere, but there is no such thing as "backing" into the playoffs- certainly not in our case. We earned our way into the playoffs by being the best team in the entire league over a 2 month span. Just because the timing works out in a strange way does not mean we backed in.

2) Does it surprise you that the Avs were playing with great urgency? That game was way more important to them than it was the Preds. Of course us fans wanted us to win and see us clinch on home ice. But in the big picture that game really was not all that important to the Preds- at least not as far as making the playoffs. Again I could give you examples of every team in the league, including the Caps, not getting up for or playing their best game against an inferior team. It happens in every sport.

And finally, you are still putting too much importance on a single game if you are changing your playoff prediction based on the outcome of the Pens game. Whether we win or lose it will have no impact on our playoff fate.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I can read the standings. Minnesota has won 6 in a row and is 4 points behind the Preds. Colorado is on the edge. I expected them to play well on Monday or the Avs could have been out of the running.

Depending on the Avs to keep losing to get the #7 or #8 spot for the Preds isn't sound strategy for the playoffs. I would like to see Nashville win a few more games and pass the Sharks. That might set up a series against the Kings (95 pts) instead of Dallas or St Louis (101 pts each).

My change in the playoffs was from losing in 6 games in round one to losing in the second round. Not a sea change!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad