Pre-Game Talk: Honest Expectations for the Playoffs

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009
Agreed and that's what worries me the most. He was really bad in last years Chicago series. If he's like that this year, we'll be coming home soon.

If he's awful, we ride Hutts to bounce back and win a couple. A strong Hutton could get us to the 2nd round if the top 6 are rolling. Think of last year's series with Chicago. We chased Crawford, then Darling came in and shut us down. As long as Lavy is willing to give Hutts a chance if Rinne falters, I think we'll be ok.

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016
I think it's 50/50. Either team could win this. But if Preds do i think they lose the 2nd round.

Hutton was much better, but I think it's fool's gold with him. Put him under pressure and let's see.

I think the key is actually Johansen. I gave Poile grief over Vesey but that was the best trade in Preds history getting Johansen. An even better trade than gettng Filip Forsberg. With Johansen the team is not critically depended on Rinne. Johansen makes the whole team better.

Pushed to make a choice I say Ducks in 7.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Why am I not surprised? Good thing is, I have noticed you seem to be wrong pretty often. Maybe we will get the sweep.

Well if you remove the 2 OT wins and the 4 shootout wins you have a team that has 35 regulation wins that's .304 hockey. And I agree with you about the gimmicks of the 3 point games. But that is out the window now. So straight up wins are what count and I have seen nothing to indicate we can expect better results than the regular season. The last 6 games of the reg season the team scored more than 2 goals once this was after the 7 game win streak where they scored 3 or more 5 times. Now in the 3 games vs the Ducks the team did score 10 but two of those games were early in the year when the Ducks were playing poorly. The Preds also allowed the Ducks 3 pp goals while only scoring 1PP goal themselves. I could be wrong but the more I look at the numbers the more I think we will get swept.

It is always interesting how you pick and choose results to justify your negativity. Are you really taking our last 6 games as some kind of predictor of our playoff success/failure? For almost the entire second half of the season, we averaged over 3 goals per game, which would have been 2nd in the entire league. The fact that we didn't score much the last 6 games is absolutely meaningless.

And you are looking at special teams results from 5 or 6 months ago? Again- meaningless.

I don't know what numbers you are looking at, but if you are rational person with no agenda analyzing these two teams there is nothing whatsoever that suggests a sweep. Does that mean a sweep absolutely won't happen either way? Of course not- sure it could happen- there are sweeps in the Stanley Cup finals. But you cannot look at these two teams and objectively say the Anaheim is so far superior to us that we have not chance.

I guarantee you if you flip all of these numbers you are looking at and we had Anaheim's and they had ours, you would not be predicting a Predators sweep...

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
After watching the Hawks / Blues game last night, one thing I realized is that I haven't seen goaltending like that for quite some time (out of the Predators). How priceless that is to the team to only have to score 1-2 goals to win the game. Pekka really needs to step it up in the playoffs.
I haven't seen Pekka Rinne steal a game since early last year. He needs to find that inner Rinne Wall in order for us to get by the Ducks.

It's not just on Rinne. A big reason why Elliott had such a good game last night is that the Blues collapsed their D to support him, at the expense of offense (only 18 shots on Crawford all night). The way that they played not to lose is just as important in the victory as how Elliott played.

You can't simply put the burden on Rinne to step up and play like Elliott did when the players in front of them don't play the same way. Laviolette's players press more on the attack, but also give up more chances against. They win 4-3, not 1-0. I believe that that's a big reason why Rinne hasn't been as good under Laviolette as he was under Trotz. It's not so much that he's gotten worse, but that the way that the team in front of him supports him has shifted to supporting him less with defense and more with goals. That'll hurt any goaltender's numbers.

That said, you'd like to see him step up and play a little better than he has and, especially, make key stops at key moments. My point is simply that it's not really fair to expect him to return completely to old Rinne form and have performances like Elliott did last night unless the team changes how it plays in order to help him achieve that. As nice as it would be to have the old Rinne back, it's not likely to happen without a similar return to the stringent defense and resulting offensive ineptness that most of us were frustrated by and happy to turn the page on two years ago.

Last edited:

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
If he's awful, we ride Hutts to bounce back and win a couple. A strong Hutton could get us to the 2nd round if the top 6 are rolling. Think of last year's series with Chicago. We chased Crawford, then Darling came in and shut us down. As long as Lavy is willing to give Hutts a chance if Rinne falters, I think we'll be ok.

I don't think Lavi will pull Rinne until it's too late.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I tried to tell you nothing whatsoever about these two teams pointed to a sweep- can you admit you were wrong?

Like I said that day, I did not like this match up. I say we got lucky here as we forced them to 5 defenders by knocking out the other guy. On the other hand Nashville came out ready to play, something they haven't done in a while.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Like I said that day, I did not like this match up. I say we got lucky here as we forced them to 5 defenders by knocking out the other guy. On the other hand Nashville came out ready to play, something they haven't done in a while.

So I guess that is a no as far as admitting you were wrong about the sweep.

And I am not sure I understand what you are saying- are you seriously saying we got lucky last night?? We won the game because they lost one of their defensemen????

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville

So I guess that is a no as far as admitting you were wrong about the sweep.

And I am not sure I understand what you are saying- are you seriously saying we got lucky last night?? We won the game because they lost one of their defensemen????

Hahaha. This should be an interesting conversation.....:popcorn:

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015

Dear lord are you even a fan of this team?

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006

I don't like the match up either but there was nothing lucky about game 1. Preds were better team start to finish. Ducks were not ready for the Preds to play that well and intense. Tonight will tell us a great deal. I expect the Ducks to come out with max effort. If the Preds can overcome that tonight and win I will become a believer.

braindead

Jul 14, 2005
The cookie spoke
I don't like the match up either but there was nothing lucky about game 1. Preds were better team start to finish. Ducks were not ready for the Preds to play that well and intense. Tonight will tell us a great deal. I expect the Ducks to come out with max effort. If the Preds can overcome that tonight and win I will become a believer.

+1 on all points

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
the 31,82% that were wrong are already known. I will not write down their names ... who wants to know them or doesn't remember what he voted ... go and consult.

And i can say, so far, never having had a doubt and with 100% confidence : i knew we would win.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
No matter what happens from now on, at least we avoided the absolute worst case scenario; we didn't go out in the 1st round again, and we actually showed some character to battle back and win the series.

and it feels amazing. I'm sure that the people who voted for the 1st round exit don't mind proven wrong in this case either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad