hometown hockey

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
MacLean got royally screwed in Rogers' "vision" for HNiC. It's a travesty.

This is what I think.

"lets force him out, by shuffling him around the country every week"

Maybe its not that transparent, maybe they really want to have a show dedicated to the smaller cities...with someone who "is hockey"

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
What do u mean?

HNIC always felt like it lent itself to all of Canada, regardless of who was playing. There was definitely an element of tradition around it - it never seemed to lose it's identity; that it was a national broadcaster broadcasting to everybody.

This new stuff by Rogers SN, doesn't seem to latch onto history and tradition at all (which is well and truly their right as the premier broadcaster now). It just doesn't have that same feeling that HNIC had...

..That feeling that it *BELONGED* in your living room or your bar TV on a Saturday.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
This is what I think.

Maybe its not that transparent, maybe they really want to have a show dedicated to the smaller cities...with someone who "is hockey"

At first I did think that "shuttling Ron coast to coast" was a cheap shot at him, but the more I've watched Hometown Hockey the more I think it's actually an attempt to celebrate the game at the grassroots level.

Which is fine.

I just don't think they do a very good job of it.

Truth is, 2 months into the season, it's pretty clear now that Ron MacLean is absolutely wasted having been relegated down to Sundays.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
The worst part of all of this, is we're not only witnessing HNiC get destroyed, along with it much of the CBC's profits will also die.

Rogers has some ****ing gall to take such a storied, tradition-rich broadcast, something so iconic to Canadians as Hockey Night in Canada and murder it in cold blood. There's nothing we can do but watch this train wreck ensue.

Thanks Gary.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
Rather than try to elevate their product, probably because they are incapable of doing so, Rogers is determined to bring Canadian Television down to their level. It won't work. TSN demonstrates time and again that they can maintain production integrity and that is reflected in their presentation. There have been way too many explanations and apologies from some Rogers V.P. about fixing and retooling. But, the biggest mistake that Rogers continues to make is that they say they are trying to appeal to a younger audience. NEWSFLASH... The younger generation isn't watching television.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
There have been way too many explanations and apologies from some Rogers V.P. about fixing and retooling.

I haven't heard anything about this specifically, but it would be great if true. Does this mean that Rogers is actually aware of the f-ups they've comitted so far? Are they aware that they took a 60-year old historic Candian broadcast and flushed it down the toilet to suit their own greedy needs? ("Now you can tune in to Rogers, anywhere, anytime - Tina watches it on her cellphone, Brad watches it on his smart tablet and yada yada f-in yada")

They f-ed it all up, and on purpose - are they actually admitting this somewhere?

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
Pretty sure I read somewhere on HF that they got an email response from some Rogers exec who said they realized that some things would need to be looked at and they were going to re-examine and retool over next summer.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Pretty sure I read somewhere on HF that they got an email response from some Rogers exec who said they realized that some things would need to be looked at and they were going to re-examine and retool over next summer.

Everything they've done has been on purpose. In 3 or 4 years HNiC will be gone, and we will have Kypreos's and Doug MacLeans to contend with (well, we already do - Kypreos is their main star) .

I can't state how angry I am over this through mere words.

**** you Rogers.

gtforepro

Feb 9, 2013
Toronto
NoDepositBonus.cc
Rogers has some ****ing gall to take such a storied, tradition-rich broadcast, something so iconic to Canadians as Hockey Night in Canada and murder it in cold blood. There's nothing we can do but watch this train wreck ensue.

So true. HNIC doesn't feel like HNIC anymore...

But, the biggest mistake that Rogers continues to make is that they say they are trying to appeal to a younger audience. NEWSFLASH... The younger generation isn't watching television.

Maybe in trying to be ready for the future they're alienating those of us who like to watch the game as it's happening on our tv on Saturday night?

The bottom line for me is that I'm going to watch the Leaf game no matter what channel it's on and I really don't care about other games or anything else they try and put in front of me. Hockey season ends when the Leafs' season ends. Give me Ron, give me Don, give me Joe Bowen. I dislike all this change...

SourGrapes

You Kids Out There
Dec 30, 2013
Mimico
Hometown Hockey is the best thing Rogers is putting out right now. Hockey Night In Canada is a farce, and their other broadcasts are equally as terrible.

No doubt they'll scrap HNIC and HH within the next few years. Disgusting what they're doing with the game.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
But, the biggest mistake that Rogers continues to make is that they say they are trying to appeal to a younger audience. NEWSFLASH... The younger generation isn't watching television.

Actually, you are dead wrong.

The only thing that the young people are consistently watching on television is live sporting events. Rogers is absolutely correct in targeting this demo (that advertisers seek more and more because, as you say, many of them have abandoned broadcast TV.)

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Maybe in trying to be ready for the future they're alienating those of us who like to watch the game as it's happening on our tv on Saturday night?

Except there's zero evidence that is happening and plenty of evidence the opposite is happening. Saturday night audiences are bigger than they have ever been. More people watch hockey on TV on Saturday nights then they ever have before.

The old model actually alienated audiences. Average audiences were getting smaller and large portions of the country were getting force-fed game they didn't want, so they went elsewhere to other sources to watch the game they wanted.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Except there's zero evidence that is happening and plenty of evidence the opposite is happening. Saturday night audiences are bigger than they have ever been. More people watch hockey on TV on Saturday nights then they ever have before.

The old model actually alienated audiences. Average audiences were getting smaller and large portions of the country were getting force-fed game they didn't want, so they went elsewhere to other sources to watch the game they wanted.

You mean Saturday hockey. Is broadcasted on more channels
The actual hnic products is not as good.

The host is subpar. - weak hockey knowledge, voice is monotone and he is a boastful habs fan.

The hnic theme was fantastic replaced by a generic into song that has no passion

The beautiful themed opens montages were stripped away. Genius replaced by nothing.

It's like hnic is only there to entertain those who are hosting not us.

That said some of the hnic trade in lives in in hometown hockey

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
This is what I think.

I don't think it's so much that they wanted Ron out, rather I think it was probably some idiot corporate VP who decided they needed to be "innovative" and go with a younger, fresher look, and that Strombo was a very easy way to do that.

It surely wasn't about money or anything, since Strombo was a pretty big name and probably didn't sign on that cheaply in his own right.

So yeah, in general I think a lot of the changes are about corporate higher ups forcing change because they think change = innovation. I've seen this type of dumb management at enough companies to detect it a mile a away. It's all about them being overconfident legends in their own minds, thinking they can remake the product in their image and that it'll be better and they'll be kings of their own little empire.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
You mean Saturday hockey. Is broadcasted on more channels
The actual hnic products is not as good.

The host is subpar. - weak hockey knowledge, voice is monotone and he is a boastful habs fan.

The hnic theme was fantastic replaced by a generic into song that has no passion

The beautiful themed opens montages were stripped away. Genius replaced by nothing.

It's like hnic is only there to entertain those who are hosting not us.

That said some of the hnic trade in lives in in hometown hockey

You keep confusing your opinion with fact. Because you think the host is subpar doesn't actually make him subpar.

The Hockey Night in Canada theme was purchased by CTV years ago and hasn't been a part of the telecast for awhile. The montages have been removed because the show open now reflects several different games, not just the Leafs game.

Your opinion is that HNIC is only there to entertain those who are hosting, and not the audience, but again, that is your opinion, not a fact. The fact is, more Canadians are watching HNIC then ever before. The ratings have never been higher.

Mar 12, 2009
The worst part of all of this, is we're not only witnessing HNiC get destroyed, along with it much of the CBC's profits will also die.

Thanks Gary.

Too lazy to look it up, but if I recall correctly they haven't been profitable in a while.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
The Hockey Night in Canada theme was purchased by CTV years ago and hasn't been a part of the telecast for awhile. The montages have been removed because the show open now reflects several different games, not just the Leafs game.

he's talking about the theme that has been used for the past 5 years or so, not the previous one that was sold to CTV.

The one that we've had for the last 5 years was an excellent replacement for the one that was used way back in the 80s... and yes, Rogers has done away with it and replaced it with some bland, generic tune that no one notices or remembers. No reasoning for that one, why didn't they just just stick with it? "Because they can" is the only reason Ican see them coming up with.

I really hope this all backfires on them. Gonna be a long time to determine whether or not that happens, but HNIC used to have a "coast to coast" feel, and now it's a more "regional" bush league feel. They haven't captured that national broadcast feel that CBC had perfected.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
he's talking about the theme that has been used for the past 5 years or so, not the previous one that was sold to CTV.

He's complaining about losing the HNIC theme music from the last few years? Seriously?

The one that we've had for the last 5 years was an excellent replacement for the one that was used way back in the 80s... and yes, Rogers has done away with it and replaced it with some bland, generic tune that no one notices or remembers. No reasoning for that one, why didn't they just just stick with it? "Because they can" is the only reason Ican see them coming up with.

Here's a reason: Rogers doesn't own that theme music. Here's another reason: It's not the same show at all. It's a completely re-hauled, expanded and new version of Hockey Night in Canada. For the record, I have zero recollection of what they replacement HNIC theme music was. To me, after they lost the iconic theme music to CTV, the replacement (or replacements, I don't recall) were just bland, generic music. To each their own.

I really hope this all backfires on them. Gonna be a long time to determine whether or not that happens, but HNIC used to have a "coast to coast" feel, and now it's a more "regional" bush league feel. They haven't captured that national broadcast feel that CBC had perfected.

It's very far from backfiring. In fact, it's quite successful and they haven't even really launched the digital initiatives that will continue to expand their coverage and break new ground. Not sure how showing more Canadian teams in action each Saturday rather than force-feeding large portions of the country the Maple Leafs has mad it feel less "coast to coast" to you. You realize what you are saying is the opposite of what they are doing. Now, from anywhere in the country, I can see way more Canadian teams - teams from Coast to Coast - play then I ever could in the CBC days. And yet you say this makes the telecasts feel more "regional."

Surely you can see that that doesn't make much sense.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Imo the new HNIC theme Canadian gold was better then the old hnic theme

For me it is a grander them that relayed more emotion then the old hnic them and the current theme is pathetic

Did rogers get rid of it because it had bag pipes? Not sure

Funny how Don Cherry theme music was kept?

Btw ferris do u work at rogers?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad