hometown hockey

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
This is the actually the first time I have seen home town hockey. Via repeat on Sportsnet one at 2 am my time.

I am really impressed by telecast .Ron Maclean is everything he always was as the preeminent hockey broadcaster.

Too bad George is in on this though :yo:

Loved Steven brunts story on Brad McRimmon
Who was a very good defender in the nh for 17 yrs.

Thought that the. Fill for the. Unexpected power outage was fantastic

Is it repeated on sport net one often?

My local cable company can't get. City Tv off of rogers..

Last edited:

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
This is the actually the first time I have seen home town hockey. Via repeat on Sportsnet one at 2 am my time.

I am really impressed by telecast .Ron Maclean is everything he always was as the preeminent hockey broadcaster.

Strombo just doesn't fit on a hockey broadcast! Dave Hodge and Ron MacLean would have been ideal duo IMHO!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Hometown Hockey was here in Kelowna the previous week and I had a chance to swing by and see Ron Maclean in action live as he was interviewing Wade Redden who now calls Kelowna home after his retirement.

Kessley Snipes*

How surprising, you're in love with Ron MacLean. This was not known to anyone who posts here.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Never thought of myself as McLean fan, and I was actually quite okay with Strombo coming in.

Now after having seen it in action for 2 months, I would say it is a disaster. I don't enjoy watching the shows led by Strombo at all. He just isn't the fit most thought he would be. I find it is awkward to watch when he is hosting. He brings absolutely no value to the broadcast at all... so amazing to see how different he comes across compared to his talk show (which was great). I just find Ron was so much more professional and, I dunno... connected to the game, at the roots level somehow. Strombo is nothing more than a fan with what comes across as absolutely no knowledge of the game, its history or the passion we have for it. Just the wrong fit I think.

Hometown Hockey is well done (hosted properly and produced very well), but I do wonder how long that show can go on. I mean in a few years we are going to run out of places, if the requirement is some kind of NHL link (be it player, coach, etc.). I do enjoy it though, and yes I think it gets a regular repeat on SN1 as I have seen it on there a few times.

LeafsFIO*

so pointless. "let's promote small towns in canada" and the first three they do are london red deer and burnaby/vancouver (no small towns) stupid

Pholus

May 23, 2014
so pointless. "let's promote small towns in canada" and the first three they do are london red deer and burnaby/vancouver (no small towns) stupid

Red Deer isn't a small town?

Edit: wow, didn't realize the population was almost 100k, I stand corrected

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
MacLean got royally screwed in Rogers' "vision" for HNiC. It's a travesty.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
MacLean got royally screwed in Rogers' "vision" for HNiC. It's a travesty.

..there's still time to change. Anything's possible. Who knows what will be in a year or two from now, maybe they'll move Ron back as the HNIC host and move George to another role - anything could happen.

What's for sure, is that they've totally lost me on Saturday nights. Last Saturday's Leaf game was Hughson and Simposn... weekend before that was.. I forget, but someone else. And the weekend before? Who knows, probably two other guys. Then we had Hughson and Simpson on a Wednesday night somewhere in there...Rogers' sh* is all over the place, I have no idea what they're doing thus far. They probably don't know either just yet. Every night is a complete crap shoot, no one knows who's doing what or who's going to be hosting/commentating/appearing. This isn't the way to connect to an audience and keep that audience - and they'll find that out sooner or later.

For now, my excitement about Saturday nights is gone. Not a big deal, life goes on and there are other things to do in life other than worry about a hockey broadcast lol. Maybe down the line they'll settle things down and we can get comfortable with Saturday night hockey again. Or maybe Rogers' plan is to keep everything random for the next 12 years, maybe they think it's an approach that will work. Hope not.

What's happening right now is one of two things:

1. Rogers plan is to keep everything random, by placing all these different commentators/personalities/hosts all over the place on any given night. They think this keeps things fresh, and are going to go against the basic forumla of sports broadcasting over the past 50 years, which is to have your main play-by-play guy, and a color guy or two - and make it the same guys each week so the audience can gain a familiarity with the product and look forward to tuning in. So they're going against that age-old formula that all other sports leagues also follow, and are banking on this "random" approach to work.

or:

2. Rogers has no effing clue what they're doing, and can't get their sh* together. That's why the TV personalities' schedules are all over the map and we as viewers have no idea who we're going to see/hear on any given night. Judging by this company's inept business practices when it comes to our phone/internet/tv services, this option seems to be the more likely one: they just don't know what to do.

Either way, it sucks. Haven't liked it a single bit so far. Just me though.

Last edited:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I said before the season, that we didn't realize how good we had it with Ron MacLean until we no longer had him on the Saturday broadcast.

Low and behold...

He does a really good job of the Hometown Hockey stuff, but it's just a bit too over the top with the "grass roots, hearty-feely" stuff that made the whole Hockey Day in Canada a drag to watch after it's first few years.

The Saturday night stuff though... I'm willing to be patient with Sportsnet, because this is new territory for them, but it hasn't been great so far. Strombo is great at being a host... just not a great hockey host, and on top of that he has so few actual characters alongside him that he can bounce off of that it makes watching the production painful.

Overall, SN's weakest portions so far this season have been the non-hockey stuff: the pre-game setups, the intermissions, and the post-game analysis. It's really amateurish stuff that just doesn't meet any sort of standards that a national broadcaster should have.

Let's hope it improves.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
The thing with Ron has always been the fact that he has become (not sure what he was like pre-HNIC) a "hockey guy".

A lot of guys in Ron's shoes, they lose their hosting job, and jump to a similar job in another sport. Ron is a hockey guy though, as evidence by his refereeing pedigree (he has refereed NHL preseaosn games before)

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
I like this version better because Hughson and Simpson usually don't do play-by-play for the Leafs now.

The only non-hockey part of the broadcast I like is Cox-Friedman rumours. I tune myself out for the other crap analysis just because we keep hearing cliches like compete.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I like this version better because Hughson and Simpson usually don't do play-by-play for the Leafs now.

The only non-hockey part of the broadcast I like is Cox-Friedman rumours. I tune myself out for the other crap analysis just because we keep hearing cliches like compete.

Anything involving Friedman is worth catching, regardless of the name of the network in the corner of the screen.

Cox has surprisingly been OK, especially now that he's seemed to have embraced analytics a bit more in the off-season, like he said he would.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Anything involving Friedman is worth catching, regardless of the name of the network in the corner of the screen.

Cox has surprisingly been OK, especially now that he's seemed to have embraced analytics a bit more in the off-season, like he said he would.

I really think somebody "important" told him to chill out and drop the ********* hack reporter personna. From what little I've seen of him this year, he seems to have cooled off in terms off his arrogant and condescending behavior. I guess Steve Simmons is the last of that "trash reporter" era now that Cox has moved on and is hopefully cleaning up his act. Cox knows he can't go any higher if all he does is be at odds with everyone else and acts like a ***** all the time.

Anyways all we can do is hope for the best. HNIC *was* a broadcast that had a national feel to it... now it seems smaller, sheltered and less broad, with a host who knows nothing about hockey and should be in hollywood doing "entertainment tonight" interviews instead. I don't care what anyone says but so far he hasn't gelled into that position yet.. give him time, maybe, it's still way too early. His co-hosts seem to like him, but they know damn well that he's a hockey rookie who knows more about eating peanutbutter sandwiches than he knows about hockey

Let's see if any of this improves over the course of this season.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Anyways all we can do is hope for the best. HNIC *was* a broadcast that had a national feel to it... now it seems smaller, sheltered and less broad, with a host who knows nothing about hockey and should be in hollywood doing "entertainment tonight" interviews instead. I don't care what anyone says but so far he hasn't gelled into that position yet.. give him time, maybe, it's still way too early. His co-hosts seem to like him, but they know damn well that he's a hockey rookie who knows more about eating peanutbutter sandwiches than he knows about hockey

Best comment I've read in this thread.

Perfectly said. Doesn't feel big & coast-to-coast, though that could be because of the simulcasted games available to everyone now.

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
I haven't watched the Hometown Hockey broadcast yet (I don't have Sportsnet on my Bell Satellite), and thus I cannot comment on what the final product looks like. However. I did attend both days of it this past weekend when it was hosted in Sudbury.

It really is a great event for the entire family, and it was great to see Ron there taking time to talk with the fans in between the broadcast sessions. Lots of fun activities, and free giveaways as well. Overall it was a great event to attend and one of those events that bring the community together with a shared love for the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00