GDT: Homestand Begins and Ends with Ottawa, 1/9/2024 @ 7:00 PM Mountain Time

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
Speaking of Izzy. It was weird. A lot of chatter about that KO triumph over peirera or however his name is... Like, I saw ppl thinking he was rope n doping him or tricking him. Nah. I don't buy it. He very nearly lost the exact way he had in their previous one time wise before. He got lucky with a strike. Helluva good shot, though. That's kinda how MMA is. I just never bought the "oh look, he wanted that exact moment". Well duh. He won. But that's not proof to me it was methodical.

I know MMA is hype and promotion and selling, yadda X3.. but I didn't like Izzy coming in and freaking at DDP after the Whitaker fight. It rubbed me the wrong way. So I kinda lost respect for Izzy. I don't necessarily like Strickland but I was fine with him winning. Just wish it had been more of a close battle.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Colby disappointed in not looking good. I wanted him to be knocked out as well.. but it would have been epic to have him look half okayish and then get knocked the f*** out in front of trump. Kinda like "see, his best isn't shit". What happened was like.. ah, here we go.. excuses will follow and he'll ride the bullshit even more. It pissed me off seeing him look awful. Cuz it gave the perfect out. Same with Izzy even though I don't hate Izzy. I would have liked a good fight not what I saw.

I totally agree about the Colby bout. I wished he had shown he was back (in a way) and that it had been a much better fight. That said I don't mind him being on the way out despite his heel persona being largely manufactured (I think). I can't even remember the izzy bout.

I just watched Clay Guida's most recent fight and it was such a good one, dude can still bring it at 41. Kind of sad to see he cut the hair, but the rest of his game was same old clay. That might be his last one.

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
I totally agree about the Colby bout. I wished he had shown he was back (in a way) and that it had been a much better fight. That said I don't mind him being on the way out despite his heel persona being largely manufactured (I think). I can't even remember the izzy bout.

I just watched Clay Guida's most recent fight and it was such a good one, dude can still bring it at 41. Kind of sad to see he cut the hair, but the rest of his game was same old clay. That might be his last one.
I'm trying to figure out how to get into watching BKFC. It's.. a lot easier.. uhh, "navigating the high seas" with UFC events I find. If you pick up what I'm laying down lol. I really, really want to see Perry keep winning while he's seemingly at the top there.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I'm trying to figure out how to get into watching BKFC. It's.. a lot easier.. uhh, "navigating the high seas" with UFC events I find. If you pick up what I'm laying down lol. I really, really want to see Perry keep winning while he's seemingly at the top there.

Lol, man I haven't watched that for ages. I think the last event was one with Chris Leben haha. That's a whole other level.

Reminds me of watching the old bare knuckle Brazilian promotions like Jungle fights. I remember one bout where Gary Goodridge had his leg up to his shin inside his opponents jock and out the leg hole for what seemed like an eternity haha. Someone like Marco Ruas but I don't think it was him. Chuck liddell was in that event too. Those were the days!

Reactions: deleted user

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
View attachment 800030
For those of you who didn't come over, you're missing out. :D

I miss Harvey's so bad from my time living in Alberta, then Ontario, then Alberta again. I don't think the chain exists in BC, at least not near where I live. It was my favorite being able to make the burgers like I like em. Such a great chain. The coupon deals were great too, not sure if they have an app these days instead.

Reactions: Boomstick

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I miss Harvey's so bad from my time living in Alberta, then Ontario, then Alberta again. I don't think the chain exists in BC, at least not near where I live. It was my favorite being able to make the burgers like I like em. Such a great chain. The coupon deals were great too, not sure if they have an app these days instead.
Over the years Harveys in Calgary have closed down so many locations they are almost impossible to find. Currently there are only 4 locations in Calgary. That's ridiculous for a city with a population of 1.6 million.

• Wow
Reactions: Tofveve

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Over the years Harveys in Calgary have closed down so many locations they are almost impossible to find. Currently there are only 4 locations in Calgary. That's ridiculous for a city with a population of 1.6 million.

I usually went to the one near McMahon stadium on Crowchild by what was a Safeway. I miss it!

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I usually went to the one near McMahon stadium on Crowchild by what was a Safeway. I miss it!
The one in Lethbridge was straight up garbage and has shut down twice. That said, we also no longer have Montana's, Swiss Chalet or Eastside Mario's either... The latter being the only one that didn't shut down due to being trash, it closed when the franchise co-owner stole all the money.

• Wow
Reactions: Tofveve

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yes it was about the players, back before the rule defenders would regularly shoot pucks out of play on purpose, it was a significant problem
I disagree. Pucks going over the glass was a symptom of players having no reason not to chip the puck higher and higher off the glass. Flipping the puck high up off the glass and having it flutter into the neutral zone still allows a change, and also clears the zone. It also can lead to awkward moments for defencemen which can spark a cheap counterattack.

Clearing the glass only allows the change, so is slightly worse, but not so much worse that you'd bother trying to avoid it.

Last night was the rule working as intended. The Sens player tried to go high off glass because it gives the blueliner zero chance to hold the zone. The penalty encourages him to try to actually beat the defender with the puck.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
I don't know if I am jinxed but have not had much luck when picking the games here in UK. Was so hyped for the games last weekend vs Philly and Blackhawks but we fudged them both. It really put me off to wake up watching the game v Ottawa, but to see the highlights this morning was a joy. I think I will just continue to do this, listen to Paddy Steinberg and see how it goes with this group. Really pleased for Mangi and Huberdeau for slowly turning it around- notably for Huberdeau, I can see it is hard to change his style as he has a few miles on his career gage and he is still a flop in the D zone however I will give him props for trying to improve that aspect of his game. Moreover, in his last 10 or so games- he has made a multiple great plays which were not executed by his line mates or chalked off by linos. Pospi just keeps playing his game and is complementing that line so well- he is not a point guy but a water carrier and a lumberjack- big fan of his game. I am becoming to the point that we should resign Noah and trade Chris, Elias and Jacob M. Think that would make us stronger in the long run, we could possibly resign Chris in the off season. Really good move to see Hus scratching Dube as he deserves such wake up call- been long time coming and he should be sitting another game, Duehr should be put on waivers, let's see what can Rooney do at that 4th line C- maybe we could try Greer, Rooney and Ruzicka as our 4th line as the current 4th line been a meh for a long stretch now. Also, not a fan of Weeger and Ras lately- they are making too many defensive errors for my liking and it should be addressed by the coach. Anyways, I think we could tweak the team a bit and see what happens. Really love Zary- this guy is sneaking into Calder territory for sure.

Over and out and keep going Calgary Flames!

Khrox

May 31, 2018
The one in Lethbridge was straight up garbage and has shut down twice. That said, we also no longer have Montana's, Swiss Chalet or Eastside Mario's either... The latter being the only one that didn't shut down due to being trash, it closed when the franchise co-owner stole all the money.
Go figure, all of those restaurants are owned by the same company (I used to work for them).

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Go figure, all of those restaurants are owned by the same company (I used to work for them).
Yeah, I don't think it's a coincidence and I think the same management group ran them all here too

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Yeah, I don't think it's a coincidence and I think the same management group ran them all here too
For what it's worth, they weren't the worst chain restaurant I've worked for (though chains do tend to be worse than small restaurants in my experience), the worst, which I won't name just in case (I've had legal issues with them in the past, for scummy practices like docking hours to make labour look better, or questionable food practices) happens to be a restaurant similar to (but not quite) Blue Crustacean

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
For what it's worth, they weren't the worst chain restaurant I've worked for (though chains do tend to be worse than small restaurants in my experience), the worst, which I won't name just in case (I've had legal issues with them in the past, for scummy practices like docking hours to make labour look better, or questionable food practices) happens to be a restaurant similar to (but not quite) Blue Crustacean

gif.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad