GDT: Home Opener! Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
That is also true. Don't kid yourself, though, Kassian is not a top line player.

No of course not but they are using the tried and true method of any bum can score 20 with the Twins (it has happened several times) and it lets them have more depth with Burrows on the 2nd line.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
No of course not but they are using the tried and true method of any bum can score 20 with the Twins (it has happened several times) and it lets them have more depth with Burrows on the 2nd line.

Yup. Didn't they put Dale Weise with the Sedins a couple of seasons ago?

Aug 3, 2010
I'd bet it's a combination of Vancouver is the big division rival regardless of the new teams in Calgary's division and therefore there's a certain real pressure to perform so he's going with the experienced goaltender, plus the fact that MacDonald did pull off a win, however unconvincingly.

I'm a fan of Ramo myself, but the reality is, the Flames are likely to get peppered with shots tonight so it will be a real test for whomever is in goal moving forward.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
As far as I'm concerned, MacDonald had a hand in two out of Columbus' three goals on Friday night. How are we going to know what we have in Ramo without playing him?

That said, perhaps there are other factors. Maybe Ramo is banged up?
platoon situation. Play until you lose. It's a fairly common approach when you don't have a clear cut #1

That is also true. Don't kid yourself, though, Kassian is not a top line player.
No, but it pushes everyone else down the depth chart and 3 of those players out of the lineup completely/

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
platoon situation. Play until you lose. It's a fairly common approach when you don't have a clear cut #1

I just feel that it's a flawed approach if they're trying to win games. It's like evaluating a pitcher in baseball by win/loss alone instead of looking at how they've actually fared against the opposition.

The fundamental oversight is that it assumes that when a goalie wins, he earned it.

WhereIsIt

alongtheboards
Jan 21, 2010
Calgary
www.alongtheboards.com
I just feel that it's a flawed approach if they're trying to win games. It's like evaluating a pitcher in baseball by win/loss alone instead of looking at how they've actually fared against the opposition.

The fundamental oversight is that it assumes that when a goalie wins, he earned it.

The goalies are so close though. It's not like Ramo has been clearly better than MacDonald... I thought they both played decent in their starts. But Mac is coming off the victory and has a bit more experience. Perhaps he is better suited to handle the pressures of a home opener against the Canucks. No big deal, Ramo will get his chances.

BTW, I think "O'bum" has been rock solid so far, let's give him a chance before we start the name calling. Only fair.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

I agree. I also don't think that Ramo and MacDonald are close in terms of talent. I think Ramo showed more in his game and he had much better rebound control.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
MacDonald had a solid game, deserves the start in my opinion, and that ain't a knock on Ramo, who was good as well. It's only game 3 people.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Hartely has to manage personalities too. Ramo took a really tough loss in the shoot-out, and given that these athletes get very emotional about their performance, I bet Hartely knows a loss against Vancouver can be damaging right now for him. The way Vancouver beat Edmonton last night, id rather leave Macdonald out to dry if Van comes out firing on all cylinders.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
Hartely has to manage personalities too. Ramo took a really tough loss in the shoot-out, and given that these athletes get very emotional about their performance, I bet Hartely knows a loss against Vancouver can be damaging right now for him. The way Vancouver beat Edmonton last night, id rather leave Macdonald out to dry if Van comes out firing on all cylinders.

Agreed completely. Also, not getting this game might help light a fire under Ramo in his next start

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
You mean when they came within one? It is you, sacrifice the chosen one.

:laugh:

Now that you mention it, I turned the radio off when Columbus pulled their goalie because I couldn't stand listening to a loss and it turned out that the Flames held on to win it!!

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Colbourne centering an offensive line is interesting. Let's see how he responds.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
I'm just surprised Glencross and Stempniak are split up, since their line with Stajan was doing so well, I thought they'd at least keep those two together

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Now I'm broke. I bet it all on the Flames tonight so we'll see if I have a future in gambling tonight. If so, I'm going to vegas with my life savings!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad