Pre-Game Talk: Home Opener - Rangers @ Leafs | Saturday Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Looks like Rosen and Moore will draw in for Borgman and Fehr if the practice lines hold. Makes sense to get each guy in a game early.

Rangers are faster than the Jets, better fit for Rosen over Borgman.

Reactions: carko32

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
Can't wait. Love this team. Can't believe still that we waited essentially ten years since Sundin left (time flys) to draft a #1 center in Matthews. All the young talent we have is a dream come true. Go leafs go!

Savvy

Sep 30, 2006
Mississauga

I thought Borgman played very well but I get it’s going to be a rotation early on. Can’t really complain when you’ve got a good defencemen with real nhl ability sitting every night, especially coming from the position the leafs were in last season on the backend

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
I was working during the Winnipeg game but I'll be on the couch with the jersey on and beers in hand for the home opener. Let's keep the momentum going!

Welsh Maple Leaf

Jan 9, 2017
So as part of learning the game and teams/players in the league (while still learning about the Leafs) I've decided to do a bit of research on every opposition before we play them.

So can you guys help tell me who the better players are for the Rangers? Best offensive player, best defensive and where the goaltender ranks in the league?

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Makes sense to get Rosen and Moore into the lineup.

I think the use of Borgman or Rosen should depend on the opponent. If you think it's going to be a more physical game, drop in Borgman. Otherwise use Rosen. One will stand out over the other over time.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
So as part of learning the game and teams/players in the league (while still learning about the Leafs) I've decided to do a bit of research on every opposition before we play them.

So can you guys help tell me who the better players are for the Rangers? Best offensive player, best defensive and where the goaltender ranks in the league?

You have not heard of Lundqvist? Older but still top 10 I am sure.

McDonagh is a true #1 D, among the top 15 in the league I would say

Zibanejad could be their top offensive player assuming Nash does not bounce back. One of the two I guess? Their forwards are pretty weak.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I am. did I say we'd lose?
No.
Did I say we'd get dominated?
No.

I shared the season series of the Jets game which, was a split. I think it's good to know how we generally played against the teams last year. (especially when some of them where close. as they were).

for God sakes. it was just stating what the season series was last year. We actually played them well last year, if I remember, (I think the two losses were some of the games where we were leading and then blew the lead). I didn't have the time to go into the goals, or anything.

It wasn't being "negative" it was providing information. if it means nothing to you then here's an idea, - just move past it, you didn't have to quote me and let me know especially if you didn't have anything else to add.

This is a discussion forum, you are going to be responded to, if you don't like it put me on ignore

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

Best defenseman are McDonagh and shattenkirk. Shattenkirk is one of the best power play defenseman in the entire league. McDonagh is an all-around #1 guy. Good to great in every regard. Skeji is pretty good as well.

They might be one of the only (other) teams in the league that has 3 very strong forward lines. Kreider, Zibby, Zucc, Nash, Miller, Buchnevich are very good forwards. There's more good ones too.

Henrik Lundqvist is the King for a reason. Guys lost his touch, but never doubt the King.

napoleon in rags

Fred's dead, Baby... Fred's dead
Jun 17, 2009
St. Helena
just curious... what percentage of the ppl on here watched the Leafs at the Garden.

FYI, my first time there was 1970.. to watch two hall of famers play against each other.

Bet you cant tell me who they were.

First time at MLG was either '63 or '64. I was either 6 or 7. Sat in the greys. No organist, no music. Just hockey. Habs beat the Leafs 6-4.

I actually got to play on MLG ice (I think it was 70 or 71) Playground League finals. We (Pape) beat Parkdale (I think) 2-1

Reactions: 54thecup

Rusty Shackleford

Leafs Nation
Jul 14, 2005
Ottawa, Ontario
Look forward to this one. Rangers will be motivated after losing to Colorado at home.

On paper, we're the better team, but don't underestimate these guys. Also please stay out of the box, these guys had 2 PP goals against the Avs. I trust our PK, but if we don't stay out of the box this could be a tough game.

We've had success against King Henrik in the past, here's hoping for more of that on Saturday.

Black hat blue eyes

Jul 21, 2015
First time at MLG was either '63 or '64. I was either 6 or 7. Sat in the greys. No organist, no music. Just hockey. Habs beat the Leafs 6-4.

I actually got to play on MLG ice (I think it was 70 or 71) Playground League finals. We (Pape) beat Parkdale (I think) 2-1

1985 at the Gardens. Red seats in the NW corner. Caps @ leafs. Leafs won 3-2

Reactions: napoleon in rags

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Shame on you. That's what extra televisions are for.
Not my house or I'd be watching what I want. Knowing my brother in law though, he'll be constantly flipping back and forth so we really won't watch either game.

Those are reasonable grounds for divorce my Leaf brother, think of the children :P
Eldest isn't too happy either, was taking her to her first home opener until we realized it was Thanksgiving weekend.
Stubhub has eased our pain somewhat.

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka

Cool, also had a fun game there!

Nobodys biting on my q.. probably many answr when I think about it!

My q is: 2 future hall of famers played against each other in 71 at MLG.

Hint is it wasnt an NHL game.

Keato

Apr 9, 2016
Winnipeg, MB
Have a Street Fighter tournament on Saturday, so won't be able to catch the game, so here's hoping the boys come out on their toes and ready to play!

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
A lot of pros and cons with the Rangers:
Pro: they have three well balanced forward lines.
Con: the lines are well balanced partly because they lack top tier stars. (Nash used to be a top tier player but not any more, I think.)
Pro: Lundqvist has been a top three goalie in hockey for many years
Con: He was mediocre last year. Was it the beginning of the end of career slide or just an off season? Who knows.
Pro: the Rangers are in a window in which it is possible they could make a long playoff run.
Con: the window may be closing soon.

There are a couple of unambiguous pros. McDonagh is an undoubted number one blueliner and Shattenkirk is one of the handful of best power play and all round offensive dmen in the league. The Rangers may be of of the few teams that can skate with the Leafs. It coukd be a very interesting game.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
5-2 Leafs. Our offense will tear them to pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad