Confirmed with Link: Holtby Bought Out

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Paying a first round pick and taking on an anchor contract to ship out contracts that Benning signed, then to buyout contracts Benning only just signed last year, should not be cause for celebration but an exclamation point that Benning truly does not know how to manage a salary cap. How a GM like him has held his job for this long with this level of incompetence is beyond me. Gillis didn’t even last this long.

Last edited:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Imo, it's different when someone is being criticized for poor play versus being criticized for being a bad person. I'm not saying that people were wrong for criticizing his mask design either. It's just unfortunate that Holtby stepped on that landmine and I'm sure it got things off on the wrong foot.
Holtby just stinks. Nothing to be ashamed about as old age/being past your prime hits all athletes eventually. Plus his contract from the Canucks provides a nice foundation for his retirement fund. Not bad for two years "work" (one of which he's being paid to "stay home").

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
These are professional athletes who have gone the majority of their careers being publicly criticized over anything and everything.

I really doubt a minor controversy like his mask art was something that knocked him off his game or distracted him, particularly since it was effectively dealt with and addressed almost immediately and never seen or heard from after.

I don't think it has much merit.

yeah the totally enlightened and respectful way he handled the mask thing suggests that his time here was marred by white fragility... :rolleyes:

i mean, if you want to point at something "pretty anxiety inducing" maybe the entire team getting COVID because total incompetence?

Reactions: MarkMM and m9

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Didnt pan out for Holtby..If it weren't for cap implications,...With a normal season, I would have liked to have seen how he would have played with more time spent with Clarke.

Demko was far from a proven starter last season (especially during the first 3 weeks),..so I still dont think the premise of bringing in a vet goalie was the wrong choice. ....Best of luck to him with his new team.

Reactions: alternate

LogicalOrca

Jul 25, 2021
Right move at this time given the corner we've backed ourselves into, but I don't most people realize how big of an impact the $1.9m would have on next year given our incredibly dire need to improve our depth.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The goalie market is weird. The trade market for goalies was always deflated but last year everybody with some sort of #1A/1B recognition was getting 2+ years.

Blackjackz

Jun 23, 2008
Vancouver, BC
The buyout makes sense... not going to be too hard on this signing... Honestly, I thought it wasn't a bad move last year, as Demko was still a huge question mark. I have a couple of friends in Maryland, who have spoken at length about Holtby's character and the fact they thought he still had juice left in the tank... Obviously it didn't turn out well, but when you look at the list of bad signings that Benning has made over the past few seasons, I thought this was a reasonable calculated risk... He will be signed somewhere else, but I don't think there is too much tread left on those tires...

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
My understanding of the expansion draft is we had to expose a goalie under contract, no? Not sure though as I'm not an expert on the details of the ED. Always figured that was the reason for the 2nd year, and made sense. Didn't have an issue taking a chance on Holtby refinding his game under Clark, just wished the structure of the contract would have made trading/buying out easier/cheaper.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
My understanding of the expansion draft is we had to expose a goalie under contract, no? Not sure though as I'm not an expert on the details of the ED. Always figured that was the reason for the 2nd year, and made sense. Didn't have an issue taking a chance on Holtby refinding his game under Clark, just wished the structure of the contract would have made trading/buying out easier/cheaper.
The Canucks could have signed a cheap minor league goalie to expose in the expansion draft.

Reactions: MarkMM and Peen

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
It’s a very bad reason.

Could have signed that 3rd string we used in the bubble for two years on a minimum and then got some other goalie for a one year.

Reactions: geebaan and MarkMM

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
The Canucks could have signed a cheap minor league goalie to expose in the expansion draft.

Yes they could have. But they wanted someone with starter experience to support Demko, which makes sense. There was apparently multiple bidders, so knowing you needed a goalie under contract anyway, going the 2nd year made sense.

Clearly the gamble was Holtby bounces back under Clark and is either claimed or traded. Bad gamble, but knowing the goal was to have Demko own the net for the 2nd year, structure of the contract was the poorest thing about this transaction imo.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Before the OEL trade, I'd say buying Holtby out was the best option. Now they'll need to pay for Boeser's raise with the only cap coming off the books being Luongo's 3M you can't afford the 1.9M in dead space.

Reactions: Jovofan

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Before the OEL trade, I'd say buying Holtby out was the best option. Now they'll need to pay for Boeser's raise with the only cap coming off the books being Luongo's 3M you can't afford the 1.9M in dead space.

The JB style is to mortgage more futures to take off dead cap. Good bye 2023 and 2024 picks.

Reactions: Hit the post

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Haha! f*** yourself, Francesco. You curse us with a lying buffoon for a GM, and for that, I hope you enjoy shelling out millions just to have players not play for you.

As for Holtby, nice guy, but good riddance. He's AHL calibre

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad