Holtby best remaining goalie in the playoffs

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
That was more of Hagelin putting the puck in Holtby's glove than Holtby making an amazing save.

This is a 2-on-1 where Bishop has to move across the crease to track a pass across the ice. In a penalty shot there is, potentially, less lateral movement required. This was a 0-0 game where the first goal allowed by either team could have tilted the game dramatically.

That was a 3rd period penalty shot save with the game, and the entire series, on the line. It was the very definition of clutch.

We will see how Bishop holds up when he faces a real offence.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
That was a 3rd period penalty shot save with the game, and the entire series, on the line. It was the very definition of clutch.

Washington was up 2-1 in the series and 2-1 in the game. Not sure how giving up a tying goal at home is worse than giving up a go-ahead (opening goal) goal on the road. Seems like the Cap's margin of error was a little bit higher.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010

We will see how Holtby holds up when he faces a real offense.

FTFY. :sarcasm:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Why the ragging on Price? Of all the players on the Habs to blame for "choking", he ain't one of them.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
We will see how Holtby holds up when he faces a real offense.

FTFY. :sarcasm:

What? The Islanders don't have an offense? The Rangers don't have an offense?

I think you're going to have to come to terms with the fact that Holtby is vastly more respected than Bishop.

Yourself

Oct 12, 2010
That's a terrible penalty shot. Most goalies would have stopped that without much effort imo.

Don't know if I would quite go that far, but with the amount of praise he is getting I expected something a lot better then that. People put wayyyyy to much stock into "situational" type saves. Who cares if it was 0-0 at the time, it doesn't make the save any more or less impressive to me. The save itself is just as difficult to make 1st game of the series, game 7 or 1st game of the regular season.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
The series has truly had som spectacular goaltending. Best I've seen in a long time. I'd say that Lundqvist has had more quality saves this series though, Rangers cant create very many great chances..

As a Caps fan though, I am certainly extremely happy with Holtby =)

MontrealHabitant

Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
I think so. Hes been great, agree tho that Lundqvist is facing better shots.

I think rangers offense has been far harder on Holtby then Montreal's on Bishop (and Anderson previously)

SharksCyclops

May 4, 2010
Bay Area
King, Price, Dubs are better

If you mean Dubnyk, you are crazy. He may have had an amazing run after getting traded, but Holtby has proven over the last 3 years he is a reliable goalie and can steal games. Every goalie gives up soft goals, but only one of these guys has multiple times this postseason.

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
It's between him and Bishop. Both have shown that regular season stat padding doesn't matter.

Bishop and Holtby have shown to be better goalies and more clutch than Price and Lundqvist on any possible measurement these playoffs. And since playoffs is the only time of the season that matters, it's a pretty big deal.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
It's clearly his fault that Montreal can't score more than one goal per game. :sarcasm:

When you are labeled the best in the world like Henrik and Price it is. Ask Ranger fans and they will tell you Henrik is not good enough, and that he probably should have won Game 4 1-0, and that he is the reason they lost Game 3 on a fluke bounce.

If you are being paid like Price/Lundqvist, you are expected to always outperform the other goalie and win games 1-0. All goals they let up are bad and will be scrutinized.

You know, there are some users who have literally ripped on Henrik for every goal he has let up. All of them were bad. So, in that persons mind, if all the goals were bad, they expected Lundqvist to not give up any goals over the 4 games so far.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Holtby and Lundqvist have both been great. Caps have just been the better team overall. I just feel sorry for Lundqvist if he is going to be eliminated again due to his team failing him. Want him to get a Cup so badly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad