Holmgren doesn't see Flyers making major move

Victory5

Apr 12, 2011
Hearing both Schenn's and a conditional pick in the 2014 for Versteeg and kovalev

Not sure what homer's talking about

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
I am not yet ready to cut ties with Briere. The guy comes to play in the playoffs and he seems to get along well with the team.

Well he comes to play offense in the playoffs, but not defense. I'm still trying to figure out how a guy scores 7 ES goals in 11 games and still ends up a -6. That means he was on the ice for 13 ES goals in 11 games. Talk about coming to play.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
There's simply no other way to cut it, whether he is serious or not...saying you gauged interest in a player by waiving them is just damned stupid. There isn't a way you can make that sound smart. You're really overreacting over this.

Also, nobody blows up on Homer because Hyka is a generational talent. They blow up on him because he didn't know the damned rules.

Ive told him this 100 times already. He keeps throwing this "we all think he will be a superstar" thing around. Not ONE PERSON SAID THAT. Guess it makes an easier argument.

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
voracek, giroux, both schenns, simmonds, 5 1st round picks, coburn and couturier

for steve ott

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
He says they released Nodl to gauge interest...everyone blows up and calls him an idiot...anyone who suggests this was a misstatement or something along those lines is a clear Homer apologist...Homer said it, therefore it is true.

He says during the draft they were looking at Hyka in 4th round but passed on him then forgot about him...everyone blows up and calls him an idiot for forgetting about such a generational talent...anyone who tries to defend the statement by saying maybe he didn't literally forget about him, but rather that he just got lost in the shuffle with the pile of other players that jumped up and down the board during the draft is just making excuses for Homer...Homer said it, therefore it is true.

Homer says a trade is not coming...HE'S CLEARLY LYING BECAUSE HE IS SO STUPID AND RUINED THIS ROSTER AND NOW HE HAS TO MAKE A TRADE BECAUSE HE IS STUPID!

All I ask is for some consistency around here.

and all we ask is if you stop defending him like the mistakes hes made have not been bad. hes made some bad mistakes. He screwed up with Hyka. Not once but twice. thankfully we got the OHL heavyweight champ. He didnt forget about him.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
ugh oh.....Iginla to philly...:sarcasm:

Jarome Iginla’s former teammate, Rhett Warrener questions Iginla’s fire this year and thinks he should be traded:

“His greatest asset was his shot but more importantly his compete-level — his refuse-to-lose attitude — and now you are watching and … it’s not there,†said Warrener on his Sportsnet FAN960 morning show Tuesday, a day after a Flames shootout loss that saw Iginla turn the puck over for the Minnesota Wild’s only regulation goal.

“He’s not Dany Heatley-slow, but he’s not getting there. I don’t know if he’s slowed down and his compete-level has followed, but you don’t see that compete and fire in his eye now. I think you see frustration setting in.

“As a captain, he’s not a rah-rah guy or ‘let’s talk it out’ — it’s ‘Watch me, and hop on my back, and follow me.’ I haven’t seen that at all this year.â€

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/02/1...eammate-questions-flames-captain-iginlas-fire

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
There's simply no other way to cut it, whether he is serious or not...saying you gauged interest in a player by waiving them is just damned stupid. There isn't a way you can make that sound smart. You're really overreacting over this.

I'm not saying what he said made sense. When he said that everyone jumped on him and said OMG doesn't he know the rules he is so stupid how do you gauge interest by waiving someone etc. I said that it could have been a misstatement, because it didn't make sense. In that context, most people were of the opinion that essentially he said it, therefore he meant it.

Also, nobody blows up on Homer because Hyka is a generational talent. They blow up on him because he didn't know the damned rules.

Well if you go back to the discussion when it went down, a lot of the criticism (or at least SOME of criticism) had to do with the fact that Homer said he forgot about him during the draft. I suggested that he didn't literally mean he forgot about him, but more along the lines things change during the course of the draft and someone you are thinking about one minute gets pushed aside because other players you didn't think were available now are and so forth and so on. This was refuted by people saying essentially that he said it, therefore he meant it.

Again, in this situation dealing with the trade I am not saying he IS telling the truth based on his statements, I just think the reactions are funny, much like the Eklund reactions.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
and all we ask is if you stop defending him like the mistakes hes made have not been bad. hes made some bad mistakes. He screwed up with Hyka. Not once but twice. thankfully we got the OHL heavyweight champ. He didnt forget about him.

I don't defending like he hasn't made mistakes. When he makes a mistake I always admit it. However, I won't go crazy when something happens that has little to no effect on the team. He misread the CBA and the team didn't get Hyka. Ok, that is a mistake. That mistake is tiny. Miniscule. De minimus. However you want to put it. He has signed bad contracts. Absolutely. He has made bad trades. Great. So has every GM in the entire league. The difference is that Homer's success outweighs his failures. If that weren't the case, the team would not have had the success (albeit, not, a Cup) it has had during his tenure. He's not the best GM in history, but he is certainly up among the best in the league currently.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'm not saying what he said made sense. When he said that everyone jumped on him and said OMG doesn't he know the rules he is so stupid how do you gauge interest by waiving someone etc. I said that it could have been a misstatement, because it didn't make sense. In that context, most people were of the opinion that essentially he said it, therefore he meant it.

Well, it's not like he corrected himself, which people usually do with a misstatement.

Well if you go back to the discussion when it went down, a lot of the criticism (or at least SOME of criticism) had to do with the fact that Homer said he forgot about him during the draft. I suggested that he didn't literally mean he forgot about him, but more along the lines things change during the course of the draft and someone you are thinking about one minute gets pushed aside because other players you didn't think were available now are and so forth and so on. This was refuted by people saying essentially that he said it, therefore he meant it.

Again, in this situation dealing with the trade I am not saying he IS telling the truth based on his statements, I just think the reactions are funny, much like the Eklund reactions.

Forgetting a guy and then botching his signing because he didn't know the rules doesn't exactly make him look better.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Well, it's not like he corrected himself, which people usually do with a misstatement.

I don't really think that a statement is necessary to appease squabbling fans on HFBoards.

Forgetting a guy and then botching his signing because he didn't know the rules doesn't exactly make him look better.

It certainly doesn't, but again, I think the "forgetting" part is the part that people look at and say OMG HOW CAN YOU FORGET ABOUT A GUY. You take that sound bite at face value. He said it. Couldn't possibly mean that maybe circumstances changed during the draft and he wasn't literally forgotten about. Instead, it is "Homer is so stupid how do you forget a guy you planned on drafting?!" (Also, if you look back at the ordeal I think you will find that much of the complaint was how can you forget about a guy who was so good).

EDIT: I also want to point out that I don't think I ever said the Hyka scenario was not a mistake, only that its impact was not felt as much as some people around here would like to think. If I did say that I will take it back, because obviously it was. Calling him out on a mistake is fine. Overreatcting about it is not.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It's not his only mistake though. He's prone to these oversights. I know you like to look at each one in a vacuum a dismiss them as nothing, but they have a cumulative effect.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
not drafting Hyka later in the draft was a mistake. Drafting not one, but 2 goons who he could of had in junior FA was a mistake. Especially taking Klotz in round 3. Unless you believe the foolishness that draft picks are overrated and it doesnt really matter who we take there because hey he likely doesnt ever play for the Flyers.
Tye McGinn says Hi with that btw.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
not drafting Hyka later in the draft was a mistake. Drafting not one, but 2 goons who he could of had in junior FA was a mistake. Especially taking Klotz in round 3. Unless you believe the foolishness that draft picks are overrated and it doesnt really matter who we take there because hey he likely doesnt ever play for the Flyers.
Tye McGinn says Hi with that btw.

Uhh, Klotz was several years before Hyka. As far as not drafting Hyka later, ok fine, it was a mistake. You think Homer was the only GM who knew about Hyka and passed on him? In a couple years Hyka may be an NHLer...he may not. This is where I don't understand people. I get it, he is a name people recognize and saw play a couple times...but if he turns into a marginal NHLer, who cares that we could have had him? It is FAR FAR FAR more likely that the guy turns into a nobody than someone we will regret not taking. If it comes to that, then EVERY GM IN THE LEAGUE will have made the mistake except Hextall or whoever is GM in LA. Let's chalk this up to another de minimus mistake. If you want to call it a monumental mistake that makes him a bad GM, I will point you to the other GMs that are just as bad for passing on Zetterberg, Lundqvist, etc.

IIRC, his misreading of the CBA is what got Hyka an invite to camp, not what made them not draft him. If I am mistaken, please correct me, but as I recall it during the draft is when they said they forgot about him, and the CBA misinterpretation is where the camp-invite/signing debacle took place.

ugiswrong

Dec 8, 2005
deutschland
From this, I fear Homer will devise a plan to package his '13, '14, '15, and '16 second-round picks all together for Iginla

JustJim

Feb 20, 2012
Paignton,UK
If Homer does make a trade to improve this team....

Maybe the first move in the offseason will be that Holmgren is fired!

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Uhh, Klotz was several years before Hyka. As far as not drafting Hyka later, ok fine, it was a mistake. You think Homer was the only GM who knew about Hyka and passed on him? In a couple years Hyka may be an NHLer...he may not. This is where I don't understand people. I get it, he is a name people recognize and saw play a couple times...but if he turns into a marginal NHLer, who cares that we could have had him? It is FAR FAR FAR more likely that the guy turns into a nobody than someone we will regret not taking. If it comes to that, then EVERY GM IN THE LEAGUE will have made the mistake except Hextall or whoever is GM in LA. Let's chalk this up to another de minimus mistake. If you want to call it a monumental mistake that makes him a bad GM, I will point you to the other GMs that are just as bad for passing on Zetterberg, Lundqvist, etc.

IIRC, his misreading of the CBA is what got Hyka an invite to camp, not what made them not draft him. If I am mistaken, please correct me, but as I recall it during the draft is when they said they forgot about him, and the CBA misinterpretation is where the camp-invite/signing debacle took place.

Dean Lombardi is the GM of L.A. :)

Also, I would think that it's a requirement for a GM to know all the ins and outs of the CBA. I'm required to know a rule book that I enforce on all of my employees, and I certainly don't deal with millions of dollars of payroll on an annual basis.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.

Also, I would think that it's a requirement for a GM to know all the ins and outs of the CBA. I'm required to know a rule book that I enforce on all of my employees, and I certainly don't deal with millions of dollars of payroll on an annual basis.

If not, hire someone whose sole job is to be an expert on it. Maybe even a team of lawyers. I'm sure the Flyers can afford 1 or 2 more heads.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
If not, hire someone whose sole job is to be an expert on it. Maybe even a team of lawyers. I'm sure the Flyers can afford 1 or 2 more heads.

That too, but I would feel much more comfortable if the shot caller of personnel knew all the rules regarding personnel. You're right though, Uncle Ed has more than enough money to straighten up this situation.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
No kidding. I was just mentioning what a horrible pick that was. It doesnt matter if 3rd rounders barely make it to the NHL. it was an awfull pick.

It certainly was. No argument there. But a terrible pick in the third round has a minimal impact. Third rounders, unless truly an amazing pick, are mostly what, third or fourth liners? I don't know if there is a way to put that into numbers, but just go back to that draft. It was five seasons ago. Look at the third round and tell me how many of those players are even sniffing the NHL right now. I'm not saying draft picks are worthless, but if you are upset about a terrible third round pick, it is clear you are just looking for something to complain about.

2007 was another draft filled with 29 horrible GMs too by the way...Jamie Benn didn't go until the fifth round. What a bunch of idiots they all should be fired Homer is retarted.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

And I would be willing to bet large amounts of money that you may have misread or made a mistake or misunderstood something in that rule book, no matter how well you know that rule book.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
It certainly was. No argument there. But a terrible pick in the third round has a minimal impact. Third rounders, unless truly an amazing pick, are mostly what, third or fourth liners? I don't know if there is a way to put that into numbers, but just go back to that draft. It was five seasons ago. Look at the third round and tell me how many of those players are even sniffing the NHL right now. I'm not saying draft picks are worthless, but if you are upset about a terrible third round pick, it is clear you are just looking for something to complain about.

2007 was another draft filled with 29 horrible GMs too by the way...Jamie Benn didn't go until the fifth round. What a bunch of idiots they all should be fired Homer is retarted.

no im not upset about it. At the time I was. now? no. I was just pointing it out. nothing more.
The Flyers also could of had PK Subban instead of Kevin Marshall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad